ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten/ACC Challenge

Steat

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2006
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-duke-blue-devils-big-ten-acc-challenge-teams

Big Ten/ACC Challenge
The full slate of Big Ten/ACC Challenge games. Dates and times will be announced at a later date:

Northwestern at Georgia Tech
Duke at Indiana
Notre Dame at Michigan State
Miami at Minnesota
Penn State at NC State
Boston College at Nebraska
Michigan at North Carolina
Clemson at Ohio State
Louisville at Purdue
Florida State at Rutgers
Maryland at Syracuse
Wisconsin at Virginia
Iowa at Virginia Tech
Illinois at Wake Forest

Oh my...puke is playing a true road game! two questions: 1. will the rat lord's back be able to withstand a road test? 2. Will they actually play the game in the Lil' Ceasar's Arena (new home of the Pistons)?

I'm glad we aren't playing MSU which is what I expected. Izzo deserves a chance to win! (lol)

Surprised they passed up an early Top 10, possible top 5 matchup of Louisville vs Michigan St.

Oh my...puke is playing a true road game! two questions: 1. will the rat lord's back be able to withstand a road test? 2. Will they actually play the game in the Lil' Ceasar's Arena (new home of the Pistons)?

That's the first thing that jumped out at me ... must be a misprint !!! Maybe the Rat is getting senile. Someone will pay for that scheduling mistake !

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

I'm glad we aren't playing MSU which is what I expected. Izzo deserves a chance to win! (lol)

I'm pretty sure a minor snowstorm that week will keep K at home. ;)

How are these matchups determined?

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing ratings and quality of team.

Like, you'll never see Duke vs. Rutgers or UNC vs. Nebraska unless RU and Nebraska seriously turn it around.

Had UNC go to IU last year, now they send Duke there this year. Michigan was the tournament darling so now they have them play UNC. All about storylines for ESPN.

Reactions: gauchoheel
I thought it was the estimated ACC #1 vs the estimated B1G #1, etc... which would mean IU was estimated to win their conference. With Crean leaving, that doesn't seem right.

I thought it was the estimated ACC #1 vs the estimated B1G #1, etc... which would mean IU was estimated to win their conference. With Crean leaving, that doesn't seem right.
Not sure how they determine the field but I'd find it hard to believe that Michigan St isn't the B1G Preseason favorite.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing ratings and quality of team.

Like, you'll never see Duke vs. Rutgers or UNC vs. Nebraska unless RU and Nebraska seriously turn it around.

Had UNC go to IU last year, now they send Duke there this year. Michigan was the tournament darling so now they have them play UNC. All about storylines for ESPN.
I thought it was a constant play-around, where each team eventually plays one another. Oh well.

I think it is more complicated than we really think. It does have to do with previous match-ups, home/away schedules and arena availability, pre-season conference rankings, and TV appeal. They may even consider natural rivalries or even playing styles because this is largely a TV event!

Reactions: gauchoheel

I thought it was a constant play-around, where each team eventually plays one another. Oh well.

No no no, it's all about TV ratings guys. UNC is going to play OSU, Mich State, or Indiana pretty much every year. Duke as well. They'll rotate it some to make it more exciting (we're not going to play Indiana every year, or always on the road), but there's no pre-set formula or algorithm to determine matchups. It's whoever the bigwigs think we want to watch.

In 18 years we've only not played OSU, MSU, IU, or Illinois three times. One year against Maryland, one against Iowa, and one against Wisconsin. For game #19 we get our first shot against Michigan.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT