ADVERTISEMENT

Boston College - Carolina Series

JohnGwaltney

Hall of Famer
Staff
Dec 30, 2011
BY UNC ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – No. 18 North Carolina opens a three-game series against No. 20 Boston College on Friday night at Boshamer Stadium at 6 p.m. Game two of the series is scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday, with the series slated to wrap up Sunday at noon. All three games will be streamed on ACC Network Extra, with radio coverage available on 97.9 The Hill.

The Tar Heels (25-12, 9-7 ACC) are coming off a 5-3 win over Charlotte on Tuesday, while the Eagles (24-12, 9-9) fell at home to No. 15 UConn on Wednesday, 12-1.

UNC won four of its six ACC series this season, including the series against Pitt – which amounted to one game due to inclement weather. The Tar Heels captured four straight conference series against Pitt, Duke, Notre Dame, and Georgia Tech, bookended by 2-1 series losses to Virginia and Miami.

Boston College opened ACC play with an 8-4 record, winning each of its first four conference series, but has lost five of its last six league games – dropping series to Louisville and Duke.

Probable Pitching MatchupsNorth CarolinaBoston College
Friday | 6 p.m. (ACCNX)RHP Max Carlson (2-1, 6.23)RHP Henry Leake (3-3, 5.40)
Saturday | 6 p.m. (ACCNX)RHP Connor Bovair (4-1, 3.25)RHP Chris Flynn (6-1, 3.78)
Sunday | 12 p.m. (ACCNX)RHP Jake Knapp (3-3, 5.45)TBA

THE SERIES
North Carolina and Boston College are getting together this weekend for the first time since 2021, when UNC took two of three from the Eagles in Chestnut Hill. The Diamond Heels lead the all-time series 31-3 with a 16-0 mark in Chapel Hill. North Carolina has swept the three-game weekend series seven times. This is the first time the Tar Heels and Eagles are meeting as ranked opponents.

I'M WALKING HERE
Sophomore Vance Honeycutt has drawn nine base on balls in the last five games, walking five times in the final two games of the Miami series. Honeycutt leads the ACC in walks with 40 and ranks fifth among all NCAA Division I players (two shy of the lead). He is on pace for 58 walks through the end of the regular season (17 games remaining), which would make him one of 12 players in UNC history to draw 50 base on balls in a season. As a team, North Carolina has drawn 217 base on balls which ranks them 15th nationally and third in the ACC. The Tar Heels are averaging 5.9 walks per game compared to a year ago when they averaged 4.6 walks per game.

ON FRICKIN TIME
Junior Tomas Frick drove in his team-high 42nd run of the season Tuesday, plating the go-ahead run against Charlotte. He ranks fourth in the ACC with 42 RBIs and enters Friday's game with an RBI in each of the last three games and seven of the previous nine.

Last edited:
Man that was a tough way to start the weekend… Was hoping Forbes would take a page out of Miami’s playbook in the 9th with Holbrook up!!!

Have to win this series at home!!!

Need a win tonight to even the series, did not think that BC would have scored 9 runs yesterday.

I had to be out of the room for 5 minutes, and I walk back and the wife tells me that BC slapped a Grand Slam.

Looks like I was right about the paper tiger thing. Way too much talent on this team for this to be happening. Coaching staff needs to figure this out.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Don't want to be overly dramatic, but losing to even a decent BC squad is bad. The way the Diamond Heels lost was the ugly part.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
They seem to be losing a lot of late inning games, does the bullpen suck that much?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT