ADVERTISEMENT

Braves Thread

coolwaterunc

Hall of Famer
Oct 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I figured I'd start this early since I don't see this thread lasting very long this year. Watching them now and I don't see one thing I like about them. Anyone see a potential surprise season here?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'll be pulling for Jason Heyward to have a good year . .
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by coolwaterunc:
I figured I'd start this early since I don't see this thread lasting very long this year. Watching them now and I don't see one thing I like about them. Anyone see a potential surprise season here?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Sorry. I started that thread about Simmons a few weeks back, with the intention of starting a weekly thread about new Braves topics, but Spring Training has depressed me, so I haven't.

Frankly, the only thing that gives me hope that the Braves could have a sneaky good year is that the Braves perennially overachieve. That's the only thing this organization can hang its hat on right now because the Starting 8 is pretty crappy right now. I know we've got good young players who could excel in the future, but in the here and now, it's pretty garbage.

I expect Freeman to have another slump year (by his standards) at the plate because who the heck is going to hit behind him to protect him? Pitchers would be morons if they give Freeman any pitches to hit this season unless a stud #5 hitter steps up this season.

Simmons still can't hit worth a lick. Same with MelvinB.J. I like that EYJr plays hard but is he really an every-day MLB starter? If he can hit leadoff, I'm good with it though. Bethancourt is limited offensively, and frankly, isn't the long-term answer. The batting lineup is still a dang patchwork just like last season. I don't know how we're going to score.

And who the hell is going to play second? As I typed this, Callaspo just ate four more donuts. Gosselin? Please not. Jace Peterson? Meh. Oh, and we still have Chris Johnson....ugh.

At least the pitching should be decent. I think Shelby Miller will do well this season, despite getting shelled so far in pre-season.

Simmons will hit better than .244 this year, but I'm not quite sure how much better. He looks like he has exactly the same approach this spring. I'll just only watch him on defense so I can retain my fondness for the guy.

Jace Peterson is going to be a pretty decent player for us, IMO. He'll be good enough to bridge the gap for Peraza whenever he's ready, and judging by his work in the spring, doesn't look it will be this year. Peterson will end up being one of those athletic super utility players like an Omar Infante or something in the long haul, which isn't bad.

Eric Young, Jr isn't an everyday MLB player, but nobody in our outfield other than Markakis is. Eury Perez is growing on me though. I don't think he'll be good enough to be an everyday player either, but I like his approach. At least he's young and has some upside.

Pitching is the only thing I'm looking forward to seeing, especially the younger guys that will be coming up, but it won't be good enough to make up for this joke of a lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT