ADVERTISEMENT

2024 PORTAL - The PORTAL Is Open for Business!

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
We lose Armando, Cormac and Paxson for certain. RJ and Harrison might choose to go pro.

In theory, everyone else might transfer, but will any of them actually do it?

Meanwhile, there are already dozens of names in the portal, including more than a handful from ACC teams (Louisville, Syracuse and Miami, for now).

Presumably we won't hear from some ACC teams while they are still dancing, but I imagine we'll see more transfers from the non-dancers soon.

Here are a couple of links to portal listings. Not sure if they are ok to link, but since our Rivals site doesn't have a portal link/list I figured I'd post them. I'll remove them if they are deemed inappropriate.

It will be interesting to see what RJ does. He can probably make more $ with NIL next year but could play himself into a 2nd round pick. Even that doesn’t necessarily keep him off the G league roster. I honestly think he can be a value to some NBA team. I just wish him the best whatever he chooses. Great admiration to a true blue Tar Heel.

Can very much seeing RJ returning to try and improve his stock but we shall see
I would love to see him return but imo there’s nothing else he could prove. Hes not perfect by far but I don’t see what he could do better to improve his stock for anyone interested. He’s maximized his showing for lack of better words.

Reactions: Heelicious
I would love to see him return but imo there’s nothing else he could prove. Hes not perfect by far but I don’t see what he could do better to improve his stock for anyone interested. He’s maximized his showing for lack of better words.
Hypothetically, with Edey and Knecht gone, RJ would be the frontrunner for NPoY. He could make a lot of NIL money and actually retire his jersey number. His girlfriend is also eligible for a Covid 5th year, so they could continue living together. I imagine it's unlikely they will end up in the same city (or even country) when they both pursue pro basketball careers.

I'm personally hoping he leads us to a national championship these next few weeks and then gets a promise for a guaranteed NBA contract. But I'll support him whatever he chooses. Without a guaranteed contract from the NBA, I imagine his best financial decision would be to stack NIL money.

Hypothetically, with Edey and Knecht gone, RJ would be the frontrunner for NPoY. He could make a lot of NIL money and actually retire his jersey number. His girlfriend is also eligible for a Covid 5th year, so they could continue living together. I imagine it's unlikely they will end up in the same city (or even country) when they both pursue pro basketball careers.

I'm personally hoping he leads us to a national championship these next few weeks and then gets a promise for a guaranteed NBA contract. But I'll support him whatever he chooses. Without a guaranteed contract from the NBA, I imagine his best financial decision would be to stack NIL money.
Some things to consider no doubt. I hope he leaves after a title this year. lol he’s been my favorite for a while out of this group and I would love to see him back. I just don’t see it though.

Some things to consider no doubt. I hope he leaves after a title this year. lol he’s been my favorite for a while out of this group and I would love to see him back. I just don’t see it though.
I mean he's basically in the same place Bacot has been in the past 2 years. A top college player who is not projected to be drafted. So you're weighing NIL vs G-League salary. G-League pays around $40k per season now. It's not a stretch to say RJ Davis would command 10-20 times that in NIL next year.

Which job would you pick if offered tomorrow?

A: job in Iowa that pays $40k

B: job in Chapel Hill that pays $400k and let's you live with your girlfriend

I mean he's basically in the same place Bacot has been in the past 2 years. A top college player who is not projected to be drafted. So you're weighing NIL vs G-League salary. G-League pays around $40k per season now. It's not a stretch to say RJ Davis would command 10-20 times that in NIL next year.

I think RJ has a greater chance to make an nba roster than Bacot. I also think he’d go oversees and make a lot more money than the g league if he wasn’t in the nba. Clocks ticking and Father Time always wins.

The more I think about it he may stay. He’s at 625k in nil. Wow to play an “amateur” sport lol

• Haha
I think RJ has a greater chance to make an nba roster than Bacot. I also think he’d go oversees and make a lot more money than the g league if he wasn’t in the nba. Clocks ticking and Father Time always wins.
NIL as a star at UNC still dwarfs what he could make in one year overseas. Also I doubt he'd just give up on his NBA dreams and head overseas immediately. Guys like Pinson and Jackson are still toiling in the G League hoping to make another NBA roster.

He'll know by May how realistic his chances are of making a NBA roster next season are. NBA teams routinely promise guaranteed contracts to guys who aren't projected to be 1st rounders. That's what RJ will need. A guaranteed contract with guaranteed money. If he is not offered that, then it would be financial stupidity to walk away from the NIL fortune in front of him. The odds are stacked against a 5'11" guard making it in the NBA. He's going to need a team to really believe in him, and a guaranteed contract shows that belief.

Otherwise, come back to UNC to live with your girlfriend for another year, be the front runner for National Player of the Year, and see if you can turn all that hype into a million dollars in NIL.

The more I think about it he may stay. He’s at 625k in nil. Wow to play an “amateur” sport lol
He'll probably have other schools tossing out bigger offers to try and poach him. UNC's NIL collective is going to have constantly work hard to keep our current players/recruits while still trying to land transfers.

You figure his NIL this year was below Bacot, since Bacot was a preseason All ACC pick and RJ was not.

NIL as a star at UNC still dwarfs what he could make in one year overseas. Also I doubt he'd just give up on his NBA dreams and head overseas immediately. Guys like Pinson and Jackson are still toiling in the G League hoping to make another NBA roster.

He'll know by May how realistic his chances are of making a NBA roster next season are. NBA teams routinely promise guaranteed contracts to guys who aren't projected to be 1st rounders. That's what RJ will need. A guaranteed contract with guaranteed money. If he is not offered that, then it would be financial stupidity to walk away from the NIL fortune in front of him. The odds are stacked against a 5'11" guard making it in the NBA. He's going to need a team to really believe in him, and a guaranteed contract shows that belief.

Otherwise, come back to UNC to live with your girlfriend for another year, be the front runner for National Player of the Year, and see if you can turn all that hype into a million dollars in NIL.
You made my point. He’ll know more after season from the league. I agree. 625k is a lot money to play in college. But if he can make and nba roster it needs to be asap.

Folks seem to think that all the money guys are making with NIL is totally gone once they no longer play for your college program? That is far from the truth, to say that RJ got $625K in NIL for this season and that is not what he would make going pro either in the NBA or across the water is just not true. I thought EVERYONE realized that pro players actually do make money outside of their pro contract amount.

I was talking with my dukie buddy yesterday and he brought up (not for the first time BTW) Mason PLumlee in the NBA. He is a bit player, pretty much the last guy on the bench, but even he made over a half million in just speaking and endorsement deals OUTSIDE of his NBA contract. Jordan today is making a ton more money today than he did playing and he is due to the endorsement deals he struck OUTSIDE OF HIS NBA CONTRACT MONEY.

I see folks talking constantly about NIL but I NEVER see ANYONE talking about the monetary value of the social media these kids have. There are multi-millionaires being made very day in this country by folks that did not have the great starting platform that UNC players have for free. How many followers does RJ have now and it isn't all just UNC fans, that is HUGE money laying out there no one talks about. Things that don't end when your UNC playing days have ended. So kindly don't tell us that RJ can not make $625k next year no matter if he plays in the NBA or Europe because it simply is not true. Ask Joe Rogan...

Reactions: RHFD
Folks seem to think that all the money guys are making with NIL is totally gone once they no longer play for your college program? That is far from the truth, to say that RJ got $625K in NIL for this season and that is not what he would make going pro either in the NBA or across the water is just not true. I thought EVERYONE realized that pro players actually do make money outside of their pro contract amount.

I was talking with my dukie buddy yesterday and he brought up (not for the first time BTW) Mason PLumlee in the NBA. He is a bit player, pretty much the last guy on the bench, but even he made over a half million in just speaking and endorsement deals OUTSIDE of his NBA contract. Jordan today is making a ton more money today than he did playing and he is due to the endorsement deals he struck OUTSIDE OF HIS NBA CONTRACT MONEY.

I see folks talking constantly about NIL but I NEVER see ANYONE talking about the monetary value of the social media these kids have. There are multi-millionaires being made very day in this country by folks that did not have the great starting platform that UNC players have for free. How many followers does RJ have now and it isn't all just UNC fans, that is HUGE money laying out there no one talks about. Things that don't end when your UNC playing days have ended. So kindly don't tell us that RJ can not make $625k next year no matter if he plays in the NBA or Europe because it simply is not true. Ask Joe Rogan...
Great point. I knew it didn’t stop but also didn’t remember it can grow too.

I imagine we'll be looking into 7'1" Maxime Raynaud from Stanford that just entered the portal. He's skilled and can play facing the basket.

But what he isn't is physical or strong. I still think that should be our priority at center. Someone who can bang and defend the big boys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT