ADVERTISEMENT

British Brooks Out For The Season

Not necessarily. From what I’ve heard, the young guys look like absolute studs in practice so far.

I just hate it for the guy. He’s hung with the program all these years and finally had his shot to be the #1 guy
We'll see. Experience is a plus, a big plus.

We'll see. Experience is a plus, a big plus.

That's true. The young guys definitely have a ton of physical talent but they will still have to learn all the blocking schemes and other details that go along with being a RB at this level.

Reactions: strummingram
It shouldn't take them too long to learn the five plays that Longo runs.

11d37f68-b6b1-4309-8959-d7d0e0253e7a_text.gif

Not necessarily. From what I’ve heard, the young guys look like absolute studs in practice so far.

I just hate it for the guy. He’s hung with the program all these years and finally had his shot to be the #1 guy
He is another classic walk on - overlooked and just worked extra hard to earn a spot, which led to earning a scholarship. Finally, he got to play at RB, and he delivered.

with four of them being a pass downfield.
The more Downs catches the ball, the better this offense will be. He is the only proven playmaker it has.

It assuredly is true that there are only so many downs on offense. If the QB takes up run game time with QB carries, you have fewer downs for RB carries an/or fewer downs for passing. That is a point I have been making since watching a number of Wishbone offenses lose their luster by the late 1970s. If the QB carried more than a few times per game, the D had an easier time, and the QB carrying often clearly helped send top RB recruits elsewhere, so they could carry the ball rather than the QB.

The RBs need to be used, but not at the expense of passing the ball all over the field.

The more Downs catches the ball, the better this offense will be. He is the only proven playmaker it has.

It assuredly is true that there are only so many downs on offense. If the QB takes up run game time with QB carries, you have fewer downs for RB carries an/or fewer downs for passing. That is a point I have been making since watching a number of Wishbone offenses lose their luster by the late 1970s. If the QB carried more than a few times per game, the D had an easier time, and the QB carrying often clearly helped send top RB recruits elsewhere, so they could carry the ball rather than the QB.

The RBs need to be used, but not at the expense of passing the ball all over the field.
'all over the field' is my point. I have a hard time believing that we couldn't have devised a more successful short pass attack to relieve and actually take advantage of the pressure on Sam. If it's just me, I'd love to hear an explanation.

i don't get this debate about passing to our rbs vs wrs. we need to do plenty of both, especially with brooks out. i know our freshmen rbs are good, but they're freshmen. carolina will need a pass oriented offense this year, varied and unpredictable.

Dual threat QB’s have become more and more prevalent at every level of the game because they introduce an extra variable for defenses to have to account for. That makes their job harder and in turn creates space and numbers advantages that benefit the WR’s and RB’s. It also forces DC’s to thing twice about interior blitzes in particular which makes the OL’s job easier. The notion that a QB running the ball is easier on the defense is absurd.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Dual threat QB’s have become more and more prevalent at every level of the game because they introduce an extra variable for defenses to have to account for. That makes their job harder and in turn creates space and numbers advantages that benefit the WR’s and RB’s. It also forces DC’s to thing twice about interior blitzes in particular which makes the OL’s job easier. The notion that a QB running the ball is easier on the defense is absurd.
a QB being able to leave the pocket when his blocking breaks down is definitely a plus. but i don't agree with using the QB as an extra running back, not on a regular basis (risk of injury). elusive QB -- great. running QB not so much.

Reactions: Archer2
a QB being able to leave the pocket when his blocking breaks down is definitely a plus. but i don't agree with using the QB as an extra running back, not on a regular basis (risk of injury). elusive QB -- great. running QB not so much.
Yeah, I want my QB to run just enough to make defenses honor that. And when he does run, I want him to GTF down before contact in most instances. But there’s no doubt that having a mobile QB who can scramble, extend the play, and be a threat to take off stresses the defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT