ADVERTISEMENT

Bud Foster is retiring

wow, he has been one of the best def coordinators ever. his departure opens up an opportunity for carolina to establish a recruiting presence in talent-rich tidewater. beating uva and va tech (hopefully this year) is the key.

wow, he has been one of the best def coordinators ever. his departure opens up an opportunity for carolina to establish a recruiting presence in talent-rich tidewater. beating uva and va tech (hopefully this year) is the key.
He and VT also have taken a lot of D talent out of NC. Dax Hollifield supposedly went to VT primarily to play for Foster. His younger brother Jack - a 4* ILB in the class of 2012 - is said to be a VT lean because of Foster and Dax at VT.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
He and VT also have taken a lot of D talent out of NC. Dax Hollifield supposedly went to VT primarily to play for Foster. His younger brother Jack - a 4* ILB in the class of 2012 - is said to be a VT lean because of Foster and Dax at VT.
A 4* SDE/LB from Shelby, class of ‘21. Would be great if we could persuade him to stay home.

And yes, Foster has been one of the best for a long time. Helps our chances in the Coastal considerably.

That is BAD news for Va Tech:cool::cool::cool:
For one thing, it stalls their recruiting on D. Who will be the DC next year? Why would players with other good options go VT not knowing? They might not like the new DC.

This could lead to guys already there on D wanting to transfer. Foster is very popular with the D players at VT, now as much as 10 and 20 years ago.

If this year is not much of an improvement, Fuente will be on a hot seat, because boosters also really like Foster.

Reactions: Archer2
This is a significant setback for VT. Foster is probably only second to Venables in the ACC. And we may have the next great DC in the making in Bateman. No doubt he is drooling over the level of talent we are bringing in next year, something he could only dream of at West Point.

Last edited:
Maybe Im looking for something that isn't there but just seems that Fuente and Foster didn't seem to mesh. I still think that Foster not getting the head coaching job made things weird.

Maybe Im looking for something that isn't there but just seems that Fuente and Foster didn't seem to mesh. I still think that Foster not getting the head coaching job made things weird.
I think that may be what led to this announcement before the season starts. I think that Foster wanted the job, an felt that he had earned a shot, because he was essential to the entire Beamer run. And I think that he has soured on the 'experiment of keeping him as DC with Fuente as HC.

Last year, you can bet that the Fuente backers among the boosters blamed Foster for the D, which was so young it needed pacifiers. Blaming Foster is the way to keep Fuente from being blamed. And Foster would bristle at that.

There may be a brewing major shake up with VT football. Recruiting already has not been going well.

I think that may be what led to this announcement before the season starts. I think that Foster wanted the job, an felt that he had earned a shot, because he was essential to the entire Beamer run. And I think that he has soured on the 'experiment of keeping him as DC with Fuente as HC.
I was surprised that Foster didn't get the HC position myself, I think he'd certainly earned a shot at it. Personally, I'm glad he's retiring because he's been a thorn in our side for a while now. Even before VT joined the ACC, he and Beamer were pulling good players from our state.
There may be a brewing major shake up with VT football. Recruiting already has not been going well.
And VT fans won't be happy with Foster leaving. Fuentes' job just got a lot harder. I now see Miami as our biggest obstacle to winning the Coastal regularly. They have unquestionable talent, now can their staff coach them up?

I was surprised that Foster didn't get the HC position myself, I think he'd certainly earned a shot at it...
word among hokie fans is that he could have had the HC job but didn't want it. some people are happy doing what they do, and he was already getting a HC-type salary. maybe he knew his limitations and CEO of a whole program is not his skill set. (i can think of a few HCs at carolina who might have heeded that advice).

Reactions: blazers
word among hokie fans is that he could have had the HC job but didn't want it. some people are happy doing what they do, and he was already getting a HC-type salary. maybe he knew his limitations and CEO of a whole program is not his skill set. (i can think of a few HCs at carolina who might have heeded that advice).
Seems like I heard that as well.

Seems like I heard that as well.
I've heard it too, but I also know that very few really successful coordinators do not want a shot at HC. That line could have been a cover to try to help smooth things over.

If Foster wants a shot at HC, we may well know before this season ends. His alma mater is Murray State, and the Murray ST HC has 4 consecutive losing seasons. The Racers probably will have a new HC by Christmas. If Foster wants his chance as HC and feels that his shot at a big job was killed by waiting to replace Beamer, then taking over his alma mater is the way to show people that he can do the job.

maybe he changed his mind about being a head coach and mack showed him how to do it (retire, then take your time finding your dream opportunity). and that way he wouldn't be rejecting the hokies for another school. it's hard to imagine him being anywhere but blacksburg, but you never know.

Maybe the VT folks remembered the Carl Torbush experiment at Carolina and were afraid to give Foster a shot.
The timing of the announcement would lead one to believe that there is trouble brewing in Blacksburg.

Maybe the VT folks remembered the Carl Torbush experiment at Carolina and were afraid to give Foster a shot.
The timing of the announcement would lead one to believe that there is trouble brewing in Blacksburg.
Foster is much more like Bill Guthridge than Carl Torbush, especially in terms of length of service as the #2 coach at the school. Guthridge earned a shot; Torbush did not.

I think Foster's announcement at the time it was made has to signal that there is major division at least brewing in Hokie land.

Reactions: UNC '92
Yikes. VT’s collapse is almost imminent. I hope it lasts. That fan base has been absolutely horrible to interact with since they joined the conference. Even their official social media is low-brow, cringe-worthy content. I’m gonna enjoy every second of their misery.

Oh it definitely will. Zero history of sustained athletic success in any other sport. Nothing school in the middle of nowhere. They were nothing before Beamer and will be nothing again shortly after.

Yikes. VT’s collapse is almost imminent. I hope it lasts. That fan base has been absolutely horrible to interact with since they joined the conference. Even their official social media is low-brow, cringe-worthy content. I’m gonna enjoy every second of their misery.

It will....Frank Beamer is VA Tech football...Worst move they made was not giving that job to Bud Foster and if he didn’t want it he should have been shown the door...Myself I love it....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT