ADVERTISEMENT

Car Dealership Belittles Pizza Delivery Man . .

BillyL

Resident Idiot
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2005
Have you guys seen the story on a car dealer up in Massachussets that called the Pizza shop manager complaining about a $7 tip on $42+ pizza order . . ? A video was posted of his returning the tip money and the rude behavior of the employees. The vid goes viral, prompting a mass trip of viewers to the dealer's website and flooding it's telephone lines, posting poor ratings to the business.

The owner has since offered up a donation to the delivery man, and fired one employee.

Someone started up a GOFUNDME account for the delivery guy, and there has been a massive response, with many $7 donations or other amounts.

In one day, they have raised $18,596 of a $20K goal to help this delivery guy out . .

I don't understand. Why did the guy at the dealership give a $7 tip if he didn't want to?

Thats awesome! My son has a part time job delivering for jimmy jons. He has this bingo parlor that tortures him every wed night always claiming their sandwiches are wrong, ordering a sandwich then adding to the order after he has left then complaining about delivery time, saying the total is wrong. Then never tipping. It's unbelievable how rude people can be in these circumstances.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by heelmanwilm:
Thats awesome! My son has a part time job delivering for jimmy jons. He has this bingo parlor that tortures him every wed night always claiming their sandwiches are wrong, ordering a sandwich then adding to the order after he has left then complaining about delivery time, saying the total is wrong. Then never tipping. It's unbelievable how rude people can be in these circumstances.
Tell your son to take a picture of their order (using his cell phone) on JJ's screen before he leaves, so he can use it as proof. Just an idea.

My younger brother is a waiter at a pizza joint, and this one couple is a regular at the place and is notorious for ordering something, then claiming they ordered something else and trying to get their food for free. My brother writes down their order and repeats it to them and gets them to verify it verbally, then takes a pic of the written order as proof.

Slinger they gave him two 20's and two 5's for a $43 order. He assumed, like anyone would, that the change was a tip since they gave him an unnecessary 5 dollar bill. He had to drive back and deliver the precious $7 to the jack asses only to have them, one beyotch in particular, berate and verbally abuse him. Then they posted the vid cause they thought the pizza driver was rude. Lmfao!

In general, I despise people who go into a restaurant with the sole purpose of trying to get their food for free. I hate that crap. If they want to do that and be huge a**holes, fine go right ahead.........

.......but don't do it within earshot of me. I have a very hard time tuning out confrontation around me, and I don't like having to listen to confrontation because it's awkward and it gets my blood boiling to the point that I can't eat my own food. So, if you want to be an A-hole, do it when I'm not at the restaurant so you don't ruin my meal (which happened at my birthday dinner last year at an Outback. Some jackleg and his family at the booth behind us complained and then got thrown out when the dude grabbed the waitress's hand when she went to take food off the table).

Rant over :)

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

I don't understand. Why did the guy at the dealership give a $7 tip if he didn't want to?
Good question . . from the news report, it appears that everyone ponied up money for pizza, one guy at the dealership hands Jarrid(delivery guy) two $20 bills and 2 $5 bills to pay for a $42 and some change bill. He takes the $50 and leaves, there seems to be some controversy over whether someone there said 'keep the change' or not. Why give the guy $50, when you could have given him just $45 . . it's pitiful that people don't tip delivery guys a fair amount, if at all.

They call the manager complaining, he orders Jarrid to return all of the money and the peeps there act like real douchebags, with a female employee telling him to get out of there or she would put a foot up his ass.

I'm not at a computer to link the video right now, so Google 'Pizza delivery guy with GOFUNDME account' for the vid and current amount that has been raised.

Sorry, I usually always add link when referencing something similar to this . .

People in the food service industry piss me off a bit with "expecting" tips. They're called tips for a reason - because they are optional. And before anyone jumps on me here, I have worked in food service in many capacities - one of which was delivering pizzas. I never expected anything. I delivered pizzas because the place employing me told me to. I have also tended bar. And made a sh*tpile of money doing it. Yes, I liked the tips. But I never expected them and I certainly never expected a specific amount.

Furthermore, I'm a fair tipper. I go into any tipping situation starting with 15%. That can go up with exceptional service and often does. But it can also go down. I've said many times, I don't care if the food is bad. I'm not blaming that on the server. I don't even care if the server gets my order wrong. Just be charming. Be pleasant. Basically, pay attention to me and make me think you're kissing my ass and I'll tip you well despite how well you actually do your job. But don't ever expect anything from me. And don't be difficult, smart-assy or rude. Do that, and I'll stiff you.

My son has done the same, HMW . . worked for JimmyJohns and PapaJohns Pizza to try to just make enough money for fuel costs to school and extra spending money.

Some of the dayum stories he has shared just burn my ass to no end. Don't even get me started on some of the pricks out there in this country . .

Ahh, I understand. But if I may:

Originally posted by BillyL:

Good question . . from the news report, it appears that everyone ponied up money for pizza, one guy at the dealership hands Jarrid(delivery guy) two $20 bills and 2 $5 bills to pay for a $42 and some change bill. He takes the $50 and leaves, there seems to be some controversy over whether someone there said 'keep the change' or not. Why give the guy $50, when you could have given him just $45 . . it's pitiful that people don't tip delivery guys a fair amount, if at all.
The pizza guy should always act like he's getting change. See, that's what I don't like - servers expecting a tip. The pizza guy (Jarrid?), should have said, "Hold on while I get your change." And if you're a good server, you know how to say that and how to act in a manner that encourages someone to say, "oh no, you keep that." But don't ever just pocket it and walk off. That will make me say, "hey, bro, where's my change?"

Now, if someone told him to keep it, well, then yeah. He should have kept it.

They call the manager complaining, he orders Jarrid to return all of the money and the peeps there act like real douchebags, with a female employee telling him to get out of there or she would put a foot up his ass.
Yeah, that's douchey. When I have a problem with a server, I take it up with the server. Now, when I express my beef with the server and they come back at me in an inappropriate way, I might then take it to the manager. If my family is present that's how I'd deal with it. If it's just me, I might handle it in another way. And then I would never berate anyone. Even if I was mad, I'd just get my money back and be done with it...as long as Jarrid didn't pop off at the mouth.

I'm not at a computer to link the video right now, so Google 'Pizza delivery guy with GOFUNDME account' for the vid and current amount that has been raised.

I'm sorry, but I'm not happy about this. This is ridiculous. People are rallying around a pizza delivery guy for catching flak while on the job? Seriously? That's what we've become....if your little feelings get hurt you post a video on social media and get people to give you money? Why are people giving him money? For being yelled at? Oh, the horror. Give me a break.

Ahh, I understand. But if I may:

The pizza guy should always act like he's getting change. See, that's what I don't like - servers expecting a tip. The pizza guy (Jarrid?), should have said, "Hold on while I get your change." And if you're a good server, you know how to say that and how to act in a manner that encourages someone to say, "oh no, you keep that." But don't ever just pocket it and walk off. That will make me say, "hey, bro, where's my change?"

Now, if someone told him to keep it, well, then yeah. He should have kept it.

Yeah, that's douchey. When I have a problem with a server, I take it up with the server. Now, when I express my beef with the server and they come back at me in an inappropriate way, I might then take it to the manager. If my family is present that's how I'd deal with it. If it's just me, I might handle it in another way. And then I would never berate anyone. Even if I was mad, I'd just get my money back and be done with it...as long as Jarrid didn't pop off at the mouth.

I'm sorry, but I'm not happy about this. This is ridiculous. People are rallying around a pizza delivery guy for catching flak while on the job? Seriously? That's what we've become....if your little feelings get hurt you post a video on social media and get people to give you money? Why are people giving him money? For being yelled at? Oh, the horror. Give me a break.

Yeah, I didn't think you'd be happy. Thank God you're one of the minority . .

Slinger u need to watch the vid. I agree about expecting tips. But it seems like an honest misunderstanding given the fact he received the extra $5 bill. The wat they treated him when he returned is wayyy over the top

Why would you or anyone be in support of this? Do you realize how easily a situation like this can manipulated? I could create a fake video with a couple of my buddies basically reenacting a similar scene and just sit back and watch people donate money to me.

I mean, whatever. I'm not going to be contributing to a fund for a guy that got yelled at. If other people want to so carelessly throw their money away, I guess that's on them. Meanwhile we have organizations that are having to close their doors because they can't raise enough money to continue to provide food and shelter to the homeless people of their communities - you know, people with real problems.

But that guy that got yelled at, I'm glad the $20,000 dollars have repaired his hurt feelings.

What gets me is when you hand the cover to the server, and they ask "do you need change" without even looking to see what is in the cover.

Even worse is when they DO look, see a 20 for a ten dollar tab, and THEY STILL ASK IF YOU NEED CHANGE!!

But slinger in your bartending days, if someone gave you a ten and 7 ones for a $14 tab what would u think re tip?
There are two different discussions going on in this one thread now. I'm railing against the need for the community to "rally" around a guy that got yelled at. That seems ridiculous.

But to answer your question directly, yeah, I probably would assume that I was to keep the change. But if I did assume that and then the patron barked at me for making that assumption, I'd acknowledge that I was probably the one at fault and I would offer him his money back.

Originally posted by DeanFor President:

What gets me is when you hand the cover to the server, and they ask "do you need change" without even looking to see what is in the cover.

Even worse is when they DO look, see a 20 for a ten dollar tab, and THEY STILL ASK IF YOU NEED CHANGE!!
I don't have a problem with that. In fact, I'm advocating for that. I think all servers should take it upon themselves to preemptively deal with a potential unpleasant experience.

The dealership's owner and his son personally stopped by Palace Pizza to offer up an apology . . the Palace Pizza manager is on record saying this isn't the first time they've had problems from F & R Auto Sales.

It appears in the court of public opinion, that the majority of people are on the side of Mr. Jarrid Tansey and have expressed their support monetarily . .

It's nice to know there are some decent folks still around.

Why would you or anyone be in support of this? Do you realize how easily a situation like this can manipulated? I could create a fake video with a couple of my buddies basically reenacting a similar scene and just sit back and watch people donate money to me.

I mean, whatever. I'm not going to be contributing to a fund for a guy that got yelled at. If other people want to so carelessly throw their money away, I guess that's on them. Meanwhile we have organizations that are having to close their doors because they can't raise enough money to continue to provide food and shelter to the homeless people of their communities - you know, people with real problems.

But that guy that got yelled at, I'm glad the $20,000 dollars have repaired his hurt feelings.
I'm not sure he had 'hurt feelings' . . never read that part of it.

. . and nowhere did I read or see that he expected this kind of a reaction from the public, after all, it was the dealership that posted the video and not the delivery man.

That's what we've become....if your little feelings get hurt you post a video on social media and get people to give you money? Why are people giving him money? For being yelled at? Oh, the horror. Give me a break.
Someone at the car dealership posted the video. The driver had nothing to do with either posting the video nor setting up the account. It was a spontaneous reaction from people who saw the video.

So, clear this up for me. Did the video show the FIRST encounter where they gave him the money originally? I ask because I haven't seen it, but all I have read seemed to indicate to me that they sent him on his way and THEN called to complain, fired up the video and proceeded to berate the guy and then posted it online as a way to "shame" him. If the video shows the encounter where they handed him the money then perhaps someone could hear/see where they told him to keep the change. If not, then it becomes a "he said/she said" situation where you won't really ever know who was right.

I agree with GSD in that people in the food service industry have come to EXPECT tips, even for poor service, which is wrong. I think it goes back to the mentality of people thinking that they are "owed" something when they haven't earned it. But beyond that, restaurants have contributed to this as well. I generally tip a minimum of 10% because restaurants no longer pay servers a wage that they can live on, rather most pay below minimum wage and let them "make it up" in tips. To me that is just wrong. Pay them to do a job. If they do a GOOD job they might get a tip for it, which is no different than a bonus or commission in any other field. If they don't then they won't get one, but you aren't paying them for the extra service that might get them a tip, you are paying them to serve a meal. Now, in my case, if someone does a good job I tend to give them more on a tip. If they don't, I don't. I think IF they were paid minimum wage then 10% is plenty for "good" service. The better the service the better the tip, but that is MY prerogative, not mandatory. Having the "tip chart" at the bottom of a receipt also ticks me off because they are in essence saying they EXPECT me to tip when they may or may not deserve it. Again, restaurant owners are saving money on wages and expecting me to make it up when they don't lower the food costs. Sorry, it isn't MY job to do that.

Here's my whole issue in THIS scenario. It "appears" to me to be a set up from the beginning. IF they had mistakenly given him the extra $5 I could understand them being upset - to a degree, but that seems kind of a stretch given what I have seen. I find it hard to believe they would give 2 $5 bills by accident. I also find it hard to believe that this wasn't a set up since they appear to have filmed the guy when he returns - where they berated him on camera and then put it out there for the world to see. Pretty douchy thing to do, IMHO. Even if the guy was wrongly assuming the tip was his to keep, why berate him on camera? Why put it on the Internet? Again, sounds like a set up.

If that is the case then I have NO problem with the free world coming down on the dealership. Regardless of whether or not the delivery guy was an idiot for assuming the change was his, they didn't have to berate him on camera and put it out for everyone to see. THAT was going too far, IMHO.

It all comes down to treating people with some measure of respect, even when they don't deserve it.

Yeah, he didn't post the video, right? I don't really see where he did anything wrong here. He should have assumed it was a tip. I think blaming the pizza guy for your crappy math skills is stupid. Regardless, I'm basically a 20% tipper wherever I go unless the service is epicly terrible. If the server wants to be cool, great. If they don't, whatever. I'm not there to make friends. I'll chat with them all day if they want to but don't hold it against them if they are just wanting to do their job. I'm also not really ever in a hurry. If you are in a hurry, go to McDonald's.

Now, donating money to the guy is pretty silly and not something I would never do. That makes no sense to me.

This post was edited on 1/16 11:29 AM by coryfly

$20,369 and climbing . . some interesting comments for many of the donations on the GOFUNDME account for Jarrid Tansey.

Almost a thousand dollars an hour since I posted this story.

Originally posted by Littlejon:

Here's my whole issue in THIS scenario. It "appears" to me to be a set up from the beginning. IF they had mistakenly given him the extra $5 I could understand them being upset - to a degree, but that seems kind of a stretch given what I have seen. I find it hard to believe they would give 2 $5 bills by accident. I also find it hard to believe that this wasn't a set up since they appear to have filmed the guy when he returns - where they berated him on camera and then put it out there for the world to see. Pretty douchy thing to do, IMHO. Even if the guy was wrongly assuming the tip was his to keep, why berate him on camera? Why put it on the Internet? Again, sounds like a set up.
This thought occurred to me - with everybody involved in on it including the pizza guy. From the angle, the video seems to be a security camera...but most security cameras that I'm aware of don't have audio. The only other possibility I can think of is the folks at the dealership planned to berate the guy and put a camera up to capture the whole thing for fun. That seems REALLY far-fetched.

Originally posted by coolwaterunc:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really hungry, and I want some pizza.
Order it up, get an extra large with bacon for the topping.

Is there anything that makes this bingo parlor different? Old ladies don't seem the type to order JJs. What are the clientele like?

I just called F & R Auto Sales and asked if I could get a pizza delivered to my house . . . and they hung up.

These people are about the rudest I've ever encountered . . smh.

UNC71-00Reply1/16 1:45 PM
Re: Car Dealership Belittles Pizza Delivery Man . .

Is there anything that makes this bingo parlor different? Old ladies don't seem the type to order JJs. What are the clientele like?
1/16 2:45 PM | IP: Logged

Well its the ladies from the black pentecostal church here. In my table waiting days in college i hated the church crowds. Horrible tippers.
BillyLReply1/16 1:53 PM

I learned along time ago from the movie Home Alone that you tell the pizza delivery guy..."Keep the change you filthy animal"!!
happy.r191677.gif

Wow, up to almost $32K from 3K donors...

He's got enough to go by and not buy a car from the dealership.

Saw an interview with Jarrid earlier this morning, let me see if I can find the link to it.

23 year old that has a 16 month old baby . . he's been delivering pizzas for 4 yrs. for Palace Pizza.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT