ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina over exceeded this season and there is no doubt about that

Let’s hope EC hasn’t left the Smith Center since last week and is learning how to shoot. Send him some door dash meals and keep him shooting in the gym.
His (EC) primary function as a point guard in the UNC system is not as a scorer but as a facilitator, play maker and PRIMARY ball handler. Being the scorer is not his primary function but being a good scoring option is a bonus and his defensive play as a pg was damn near outstanding after he got a better understanding of how ref's were gonna call his games .. and how to correct some of his arm as opposed to feet defense.

The amount of points scored with EC on the court as opposed to off the entire season should speak for itself and if wanna bitch about shooting how about pointing a finger at a 6th yr. 6'10 player that likely missed more dunks in his career than EC has missed 3's in his.

Reactions: Heelicious and RP12
I'm on the planet called context matters. Dean Smith didn't take his team to the final game his first season. Hubs is learning to coach in the most chaotic time in cbb history. 2 seasons out of 3 have been good. My expectations are just different. He appears to have returned the brand to the standard.
Wonder what it would have been like if DES had NIL and the portal? That's one helluva an advantage for a coach at a destination school for a bball player like UNC. But if Hubs keeps sitting and recruiting over his prized recruits it will likely not end well for either him or the program. And I bet after sitting the bench with limited playing time there are some pretty good players that are considering their options in the off season.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
His (EC) primary function as a point guard in the UNC system is not as a scorer but as a facilitator, play maker and PRIMARY ball handler. Being the scorer is not his primary function but being a good scoring option is a bonus and his defensive play as a pg was damn near outstanding after he got a better understanding of how ref's were gonna call his games .. and how to correct some of his arm as opposed to feet defense.

The amount of points scored with EC on the court as opposed to off the entire season should speak for itself and if wanna bitch about shooting how about pointing a finger at a 6th yr. 6'10 player that likely missed more dunks in his career than EC has missed 3's in his.
UNC’s Final Four teams since 2003 all had PGs who could score. Felton, Lawson, Berry.

If scoring is a bonus for Cadeau, it better mean UNC has an absolutely loaded starting 5 next year. Everyone romanticizes about the Kendall Marshall years but those offenses werent as good as the Lawson, Felton or 2017 offense in terms of offensive efficiency. It was a good offense. It also had 4 first round picks in the lineup.

If next year’s starting 5 isn’t as talented, then I don’t Cadeau’s scoring will be a nice bonus. It will become more of a necessity if we want to do big things. And I’m saying like 11 PPG’ish. Nothing ridiculous but he’ll need to score it some.

I also disagree that he was outstanding defensively. He was more foul prone in conference play. He may have improved but nowhere near outstanding.

UNC’s Final Four teams since 2003 all had PGs who could score. Felton, Lawson, Berry.

If scoring is a bonus for Cadeau, it better mean UNC has an absolutely loaded starting 5 next year. Everyone romanticizes about the Kendall Marshall years but those offenses werent as good as the Lawson, Felton or 2017 offense in terms of offensive efficiency. It was a good offense. It also had 4 first round picks in the lineup.

If next year’s starting 5 isn’t as talented, then I don’t Cadeau’s scoring will be a nice bonus. It will become more of a necessity if we want to do big things. And I’m saying like 11 PPG’ish. Nothing ridiculous but he’ll need to score it some.

I also disagree that he was outstanding defensively. He was more foul prone in conference play. He may have improved but nowhere near outstanding.
Those teams were complete teams. Post, wing, and pg no doubt. This years version was also complete, just lacking in one critical aspect of pg play(shooting). Cadeaus inability(and Huberts acknowledgement of it by benching him) to punish the Alabama defense for an anticipated defensive adjustment led directly to elimination. The visual of Cadeau being unguarded by a post defender will live on until next season.

The ability for Cadeau(or his back-up, not named RJ) to knockdown open 15 footers will be a necessity going forward. Huberts offense is not sophisticated enough to overcome 5 on 4(like Ala.). RJ has proven for 2 years, he is not a pg.

One thing Hubert has embraced is the transfer portal. Seems he is establishing his identity in this new aspect of coaching. He is already lining up new starters for next season. We know he is involved in filling the 5 and 3 spots.

I hope Hubert goes for a backup pg. Would that upset the Cadeau family, maybe? But consider, if Cadeau is injured, we are left with RJ(that is proven for 2+ years to be a failed experiment). All the hard work to reload through the portal for another Final Four run is over in a moment. Hubert may view entering next season without a "true" backup pg as a disavowing of his coaching responsibilities. He could easily sell that to Cadeau/family.

I'm on the planet called context matters. Dean Smith didn't take his team to the final game his first season. Hubs is learning to coach in the most chaotic time in cbb history. 2 seasons out of 3 have been good. My expectations are just different. He appears to have returned the brand to the standard.
no worries, we're all welcome to our own opinion! GO HEELS

Reactions: strummingram
Wonder what it would have been like if DES had NIL and the portal? That's one helluva an advantage for a coach at a destination school for a bball player like UNC. But if Hubs keeps sitting and recruiting over his prized recruits it will likely not end well for either him or the program. And I bet after sitting the bench with limited playing time there are some pretty good players that are considering their options in the off season.
you are correct .. and the folks who have a voice are on this same wavelength. lots of inner pressure on the 24-25 season - as there should be.

Reactions: al would
Then we will agree to disagree. EC got some really chitty calls against him early in the season and he learned a quick lesson and in my opinion towards the end of the season he became a much better defender and for a freshman by the end of the year his defense was outstanding .. in my opinion.

Then we will agree to disagree. EC got some really chitty calls against him early in the season and he learned a quick lesson and in my opinion towards the end of the season he became a much better defender and for a freshman by the end of the year his defense was outstanding .. in my opinion.
Cadeau being more foul prone in conference play isn't my opinion, it's what the stats say.

For the entire season, Cadeau averaged 3.8 committed fouls per 40 minutes.
In conference play, he averaged 4.0 committed fouls per 40 minutes.
Also, in the last 7 conference regular season games, Cadeau averaged 4.3 committed fouls per 40 minutes

He was more foul prone against the best teams. 4.9 committed fouls/40 minutes vs top 50 opponents

He was fine in the NCAA Tournament but foul trouble was something Cadeau struggled with all season long with the exception of the 3 games at the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT