ADVERTISEMENT

Chansky just thought he was PO'd before...

heelbent

Who?
Mar 12, 2003
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Luther pick that ol'banjo
Get them guitars strummin'
Throw more water in the soup
There's better times a'comin'...

Per Lee Pace, Chiz spent part of the afternoon in the KFC looking at Heels games tapes...and it wasn't hoops. :)

Originally posted by NENCHeel:

Per Lee Pace, Chiz spent part of the afternoon in the KFC looking at Heels games tapes...and it wasn't hoops. :)
Gene's not only looking at film...he's been on the phone. Chanski is about about to learn that commitment to FB looks a lot like a check book.

And that BB no longer drives the train...

Heel bent I hope he's not on the phone talking to recruits, hopefully coaches. I think we are in a dead period. If one phone with recruits he's already trying to help get us on the death penalty that a lot of mooUers would love.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
That's Kenan Football Center, not Kentucky Fried Chicken. Just so we're clear.
That's a good thing. UNC coaches should be Bojangles lovers.

I did not want to hear that...Any idea why? I suppose I was just very wishful in my thinking but I figured this was the picture perfect time for him to come back.

Apparently he's just happy where he's at. UNC was ready to match any financial package...money wasn't the issue. It's not about the NCAA from what I was told earlier. Thig is on a roll right now at UT and expects things to get even better.

Originally posted by heelbent:

Apparently he's just happy where he's at. UNC was ready to match any financial package...money wasn't the issue. It's not about the NCAA from what I was told earlier. Thig is on a roll right now at UT and expects things to get even better.
I get it and don't get it. I understand staying if he is happy, but If he is a UNC alum and the money is the same, why would he not come back.

Maybe he feels it would be much more difficult to climb UNC's mountain than to finish the one he has already begun at UT.

Originally posted by SeaHawk98:

I get it and don't get it. I understand staying if he is happy, but If he is a UNC alum and the money is the same, why would he not come back.
Even if money was the same....there's MUCH more bang for your buck in Knoxville, TN than in Orange County, NC.

Just sayin'....

Maybe he isn't buying the UNC football hype either.

Don't get me wrong- I really want all this stuff to pan out. But I have been a UNC football fan long enough to expect 7-6 (8-5 at best) pretty much every year.

Good point, Tennessee does not tax wages so, that is a big difference in terms of bang for your buck. Tommy is doing great things in Knoxville, and I wish him well, and hope he comes home to Chapel Hill one day, soon!

Not that I doubt Chizik is the new DC, but does anyone find it odd that it's not been announced? Due to the fact that he's not "officially" a coach anywhere, does that mean he can talk to recruits during the dead period?

Originally posted by UNC9T:
Good point, Tennessee does not tax wages so, that is a big difference in terms of bang for your buck. Tommy is doing great things in Knoxville, and I wish him well, and hope he comes home to Chapel Hill one day, soon!
That, plus Orange County taxes the everlasting sh*t out of you. Cost of living (off-campus) is stupidly expensive for students compared to other large Southern universities like Auburn, UGA, Alabama, etc. I know Adam, the last publisher of this site, moved his family out of Orange County because surrounding counties to the West (Alamance, for example) are so much cheaper.

I love the state of North Carolina, and I love UNC, but I promise you I will never live in Orange County again.

Anyway......sorry for that off-topic rant. I'm glad Thig is doing well at UT, even if they are a recruiting rival. I have to imagine the allure of seeing through what he started is very strong.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:

hope he comes home to Chapel Hill one day, soon!

Tommy burned some bridges this time, methinks.
If Thigpen were contacted by Chizik - and I would think he was - and chose not to come, then he would have burnt bridges.
He told UNC he would come back under certain conditions...his conditions were met. He still said no.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

hope he comes home to Chapel Hill one day, soon!
Tommy burned some bridges this time, methinks.
Check out the post from cambo on the premium thread.
I went and read that thread RH. Fedora and Chizik gave Thigpen everything he said he would he come for. He backed out. Seriously doubt he'll ever be at UNC again if everything I've heard is true.

Tennessee is about to blow up. he was already screwed over once Here
why would he come back to this train wreck.

Originally posted by geo1464:
Tennessee is about to blow up. he was already screwed over once Here
why would he come back to this train wreck.
He wasn't screwed over here, he had a conflict with Blake that was bad. UNC didn't screw him over.

And for the prior two years he has told contacts at UNC/Staff that he wanted to come back home, that is a fact.

Did not mean to apply UNC screwed him over.but he could have been kept over blake. FACT

Tennessee will be a sleeper team in the near future. Dooley is a good guy and all, but left a train wreck.

Butch Jones is one of those "I get MY kind of players and coach em up" guys and has done just that. Tennessee rolled the dice on him given his body of work at both CMU AND Cincinnati (which had two successful predecessors).

You can argue he inherited his success at UC from Brian Kelly, but in his first year he didn't have 'his players' like he did in 2011/2012.

I randomly watched the UT vs UGA game this year. Even though they lost -and I am not a fan of moral victories (insert NC State fan joke here)- but I saw a UT team that pushed UGA around in the trenches but didn't have the playmakers... YET.

2015 will be an interesting year, but don't be too surprised if Tennessee takes the SEC east and knocks the Bama-sippi teams down a peg or two.

I just took a gander at their schedule.... OU, Arky, SCjr, UGA all at home.... at Bama will be the big one... but they could be a shocker.... heard it here first
This post was edited on 1/15 2:20 PM by Raleigh2Miami

Originally posted by geo1464:
Did not mean to apply UNC screwed him over.but he could have been kept over blake. FACT
It's not that easy. Blake was a DL coach and Thigpen an LB coach. Once you as HC have a situation in which 2 assistants on the same side of the ball are at loggerheads, you must see the whole picture, which includes, and likely is not restricted to: the positions each coaches, the emphasis on the team per position, the ability of each as a recruiter, and the length of time each has known and worked with the HC.

Butch had known Blake since Blake was in 8th grade. Butch stressed the DL and would have preferred to replace the LB coach rather than the DL coach. Nationally, Blake was a better known and more successful recruiter.

So - if Thigpen could not get along with Blake enough to stay, then Butch was not going to boot Blake.

None of that has anything to do with the fact that because Blake was a beloved, BELOVED[/I], former player and assistant coach to Barry Switzer, a master of sleaze, I never would have hired Blake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT