ADVERTISEMENT

Cord Cutters . . . ?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
I'm planning to sign up for the Hulu Live TV free trial on Friday. $40/mo if I keep it.

I had Playstation Vue last year and it was very good. Was going to sign up for it again, until they raised their price.

The Hulu package includes their normal offerings of movies and TV shows, sort of like Netflix. So that's a nice feature and justifies paying a little more, imo. The Live TV part adds a bunch of live channels - including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPNNews and many more. That works for most of our games.

Any other cord cutters out there? What are your plans?

If you are wondering "why Friday?" the reason is that if I stick with it, it will expire after the championship game next April.

So I can watch everything from the exhibition game (if broadcast) through the championship game and just pay for 5 months of the service.

I'm planning to sign up for the Hulu Live TV free trial on Friday. $40/mo if I keep it.

I had Playstation Vue last year and it was very good. Was going to sign up for it again, until they raised their price.

The Hulu package includes their normal offerings of movies and TV shows, sort of like Netflix. So that's a nice feature and justifies paying a little more, imo. The Live TV part adds a bunch of live channels - including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPNNews and many more. That works for most of our games.

This thread should answer your questions.

https://northcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/cutting-the-cord.36786/

Been doing a jail broke Firestick and downloading the Watch ESPN app today, I think I can get most everything ESPN does, live stream or at least recorded shortly after. Have just basic cable to go along with that includes ESPN 1 & 2 but not the "U" or 3, have to wait for those maybe but may be able to catch even those live stream.

Thanks. I notice that there hasn't been any activity on that thread since last January.

Since then...

Hulu Live TV has come out

DirectTV Now has come out

Playstation Vue has raised their price

Sling has reconfigured their lineup (less ESPN in the cheap tier)

YouTube also has something

I'm hoping Hulu will do what I want. Since I already have their $6 plan, it's like paying $34 for the live channels. There's also a limited cloud DVR function. Some other plans have that, too. That was one of the things I liked about Vue, although the operation was funky.

Been doing a jail broke Firestick and downloading the Watch ESPN app today, I think I can get most everything ESPN does, live stream or at least recorded shortly after. Have just basic cable to go along with that includes ESPN 1 & 2 but not the "U" or 3, have to wait for those maybe but may be able to catch even those live stream.
Help me understand.... Which ESPNs do you need to have in order to get ESPN3? Do you get ESPN3 if you only have ESPN and ESPN2, but not ESPNU or ESPNNews?

Second Question: If you get ESPN3 if you have a package with only ESPN and ESPN2, does having ESPN3 also let you see games that were shown on ESPNU or ESPNNews?

Sorry for the questions. I'm not that knowledgeable about ESPN's various options.

Help me understand.... Which ESPNs do you need to have in order to get ESPN3? Do you get ESPN3 if you only have ESPN and ESPN2, but not ESPNU or ESPNNews?

Second Question: If you get ESPN3 if you have a package with only ESPN and ESPN2, does having ESPN3 also let you see games that were shown on ESPNU or ESPNNews?

Sorry for the questions. I'm not that knowledgeable about ESPN's various options.

ESPN3 is more a internet based streaming deal, to my knowledge it is not part of a cable package. When I had TW, I got ESPN, 2, ESPN news, and the "U" but I didn't get 3. I just never downloaded the app to my computer because I HATE trying to watch a game on my computer when I have 32-60" to watch a game on and I didn't have a smart TV. I did load Watch ESPN app on my Roku, to late to watch games live but was able to see a couple replays I had missed. The problem for me is ACCN games that are not also local or national broadcasts, most are at least found on a local channel. I think I can down load an app for those as well but my understand is the quality leaves something to be desired and again watching it on my computer screen as opposed to a large TV screen.

Oh, most basic cable packages, I assume dish packages as well may give you ESPN and 2 but you have to go to higher tiers to get "U" and ESPN news. I do know last year I had dish network at the office and I had to pay for a tier above basic to get any ESPN. Hope that helps ya some WW.

Your first question was answered in the OOTB thread poasted above. But you know, also feel free to use the Google.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010

I use Sling (along with over the air antenna for local). Pretty good package including premium sports for 25/month.

ESPN3 is more a internet based streaming deal, to my knowledge it is not part of a cable package. When I had TW, I got ESPN, 2, ESPN news, and the "U" but I didn't get 3. I just never downloaded the app to my computer because I HATE trying to watch a game on my computer when I have 32-60" to watch a game on and I didn't have a smart TV. I did load Watch ESPN app on my Roku, to late to watch games live but was able to see a couple replays I had missed. The problem for me is ACCN games that are not also local or national broadcasts, most are at least found on a local channel. I think I can down load an app for those as well but my understand is the quality leaves something to be desired and again watching it on my computer screen as opposed to a large TV screen.

Oh, most basic cable packages, I assume dish packages as well may give you ESPN and 2 but you have to go to higher tiers to get "U" and ESPN news. I do know last year I had dish network at the office and I had to pay for a tier above basic to get any ESPN. Hope that helps ya some WW.
Thanks.

My experience watching ESPN3 (or WatchESPN on my Roku) is that you have to point to and log in with your provider. At the time I had Playstation Vue and that counted as my provider, so I was able to do those things. But Vue also gave me ESPNU and ESPNews and somehow I got the impression that if I didn't have those, I might not be able to get ESPN3 or use WatchESPN on my Roku. I don't know if that's the case.

I just checked on Sling TV.

Their cheapest "Orange" package ($20) includes ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN3, but not ESPNU or ESPNews.

Interestingly enough, it also includes "ACC Network Extra." If that means it will show those couple of games, that could make Sling a good choice for both price and coverage.

I heard good things about Sling. How is that compared to espn3. I done away with cable over the summer. However, I'm going to need something for sports as well.

I think I can down load an app for those as well but my understand is the quality leaves something to be desired and again watching it on my computer screen as opposed to a large TV screen.
Not sure what you mean by quality. If you are talking about production quality, then you have been misinformed. There is almost no difference between the app and a game watched on TV. You do have a couple of options to watch it on your TV if you don't have a smart TV. You can get a smart blue ray player that is compatible with the app or you can buy an adapter for your phone and hook it up to the TV. I went out and got a $20 adapter and you would never know it wasn't a broadcast directly from ESPN if I didn't tell you.

Interestingly enough, it also includes "ACC Network Extra." If that means it will show those couple of games, that could make Sling a good choice for both price and coverage.
ACC Network Extra is the name for the online part of the ESPN ACC channel. It's my understanding that the availability of that is more dependent on your internet provider. They have to have an agreement in place with ESPN to stream it. Most providers have one in place at this point.

Thanks.

My experience watching ESPN3 (or WatchESPN on my Roku) is that you have to point to and log in with your provider. At the time I had Playstation Vue and that counted as my provider, so I was able to do those things. But Vue also gave me ESPNU and ESPNews and somehow I got the impression that if I didn't have those, I might not be able to get ESPN3 or use WatchESPN on my Roku. I don't know if that's the case.

I just checked on Sling TV.

Their cheapest "Orange" package ($20) includes ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN3, but not ESPNU or ESPNews.

Just googled the ACC network extra, it is under the ESPN banner, so you could see it live but I think it being under the ESPN banner that you may be able to get it live stream on the Watch ESPN app as well?

http://espnmediazone.com/us/programming/program-schedules/#tvl_resultsAnchor

The above link is to the ACC Network extra programming guide for 10/25 - 10/30.

Not sure what you mean by quality. If you are talking about production quality, then you have been misinformed. There is almost no difference between the app and a game watched on TV. You do have a couple of options to watch it on your TV if you don't have a smart TV. You can get a smart blue ray player that is compatible with the app or you can buy an adapter for your phone and hook it up to the TV. I went out and got a $20 adapter and you would never know it wasn't a broadcast directly from ESPN if I didn't tell you.

ACC Network Extra is the name for the online part of the ESPN ACC channel. It's my understanding that the availability of that is more dependent on your internet provider. They have to have an agreement in place with ESPN to stream it. Most providers have one in place at this point.

Curious, when you sling it from your phone you are, I assume, using on your phone's data limits. I have like 5 gig, which is fine for me but is my understand that streaming really eats your gig limits hard. Do you stream a lot and if so how much gig do you typically eat up slinging streaming movies or broadcasts to your TV?

Curious, when you sling it from your phone you are, I assume, using on your phone's data limits. I have like 5 gig, which is fine for me but is my understand that streaming really eats your gig limits hard. Do you stream a lot and if so how much gig do you typically eat up slinging streaming movies or broadcasts to your TV?
I stream it using the wifi on my phone through the app. Using the wifi doesn't count against my phone data, so I'm not sure how much it would eat up.

Your first question was answered in the OOTB thread poasted above. But you know, also feel free to use the Google.
Are you trying to be snide? If so, good job. If not, you may want to know that's how that comment comes off.

Needless to say, I didn't really want to read a 5-page thread that is nearly a year out of date to find an answer that might not have been there in the first place.

As for googling, I did some of that and even the ESPN site isn't too clear - but seems to suggest that you might have to have ESPNnews or specifically WatchESPN to get ESPN3. But since it isn't clear, I thought I'd ask.

I use Sling (along with over the air antenna for local). Pretty good package including premium sports for 25/month.
Are you viewing on your computer or through a streaming device (like Roku)?

I tried Sling a couple of years ago but had to drop it because it kept freezing when using my Roku to show it on my TV. I'm guessing that's been resolved, but what's your experience?

Are you trying to be snide? If so, good job. If not, you may want to know that's how that comment comes off.

Needless to say, I didn't really want to read a 5-page thread that is nearly a year out of date to find an answer that might not have been there in the first place.

As for googling, I did some of that and even the ESPN site isn't too clear - but seems to suggest that you might have to have ESPNnews or specifically WatchESPN to get ESPN3. But since it isn't clear, I thought I'd ask.
You asked for help, got it, and then scoffed at it because you don't think it helps you. A few folks, including myself, put a lot of work into that thread. The answers to your conceptual questions are in there.

Are you viewing on your computer or through a streaming device (like Roku)?

I tried Sling a couple of years ago but had to drop it because it kept freezing when using my Roku to show it on my TV. I'm guessing that's been resolved, but what's your experience?
Yeah, I'm using the free ROKU stick that came with the package. It can be balky but has gotten better. If your internet stream is decent it's usually fine. Actually the best service comes when I use my phone or tablet.

http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/ This is a good site for cordcutter info

You asked for help, got it, and then scoffed at it because you don't think it helps you. A few folks, including myself, put a lot of work into that thread. The answers to your conceptual questions are in there.
Here's why I reacted badly to your comment. There are LOTS of ways and places to find answers. When you initially pointed to that thread, I clicked and read some. Then noticed it was very long. Then noticed it hadn't been contributed to in a long time - during which time I KNOW many changes have occurred in the streaming world. So some of my questions could not be answered there.

I appreciate that you put a lot of effort into that thread. And I appreciate that you pointed me to it. But, for the reasons mentioned, it didn't seem as good an option as asking someone in this thread who had just mentioned the actual ingredients I was interested in. Why read the encyclopedia when you are already talking with someone who may know the answer?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT