ADVERTISEMENT

Crab cakes

nctransplant

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2015
Nebraska
Any really good crab cake recipes out there someone is willing to share. The wife and I have birthdays this week and are going to make them this weekend. Hard to get seafood out here so that's how we treat ourselves.

Wish my mom was still alive, I'd call her and ask for her recipe . . . I know she used very little filler and OMG they were delish.

Happy birthdays to you and the Mrs. . . y'all folks have a great week and enjoy those 'cakes.

party0003.r191677.gif

My recipe:

Fill gas tank with unleaded fuel

Drive north to Grasonville, Maryland (20 minutes from Annapolis).

Find Bridges Restaurant.

Order crab cakes.

A lot of places along the Chesapeake Bay to get some good crab meals . . I've eaten a couple of those mom and pop places that have some of the best seafood you could hope to find.

Last crab cake I had was very good, wifey and I had them for lunch at Bluewater Grill in Wrightsville Bch,, that was a couple years back . .

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
My recipe:

Fill gas tank with unleaded fuel

Drive north to Grasonville, Maryland (20 minutes from Annapolis).

Find Bridges Restaurant.

Order crab cakes.
That's a little far from south central Nebraska

Use premium jumbo lump crab meat

Mayo
Worschestiesjcjekeere sauce
Mustard
Old bay
Panko crumbs
Form into 6 patties
Sautee in hot oil 2 min a side

Sometimes i add red pepper, onions and celery but i think it takes away from crab flavor.

U cant mess em up. Experiment with what u like. Just dont use too much filler. Crab is subtle and easily overpowered.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

epicurious.com has a good recipe. I serve mine with a roasted red pepper/chipotle sauce that is great on crab cakes.

1/2 cup mayo
small jar roasted red peppers
one chipotle chili with a tablespoon of the sauce they are packed in
1/2 bottle Heinz chili sauce (not cocktail sauce)
2 dashes worchestershire sauce
juice of 1/2 lemon

Blend in a blender until smooth. Use sparingly, a little goes a long way.

Originally posted by heelmanwilm:

Use premium jumbo lump crab meat
Mayo
Worschestiesjcjekeere sauce
Mustard
Old bay
Panko crumbs
Form into 6 patties
Sautee in hot oil 2 min a side

Sometimes i add red pepper, onions and celery but i think it takes away from crab flavor.
U cant mess em up. Experiment with what u like. Just dont use too much filler. Crab is subtle and easily overpowered.
This is a good recipe to start with, but at first glance I would add at least one egg to support the mayo as a binder. Red & green peppers along with spanish onions will enhance the crab meat, but not too much of each. And celery should never be used in a crabcake, never. Keep it simple and there should only be one rule to making crabcakes - Always have more crab than cake.

Originally posted by JuleZ '02 HEEL:
Yeah, some of these are adding too much stuff. The crab is the focus, the rest is there to hold it together.

1 egg white
Salt and Pepper
Mustard
Mayo
Old Bay
Breadcrumbs
Crabmeat

That's pretty dang close to what I do. I do use only dry mustard. Some fresh parsley adds a nice pop of color and a fresh taste.

These are pretty close to the recipe I use. Wish we could get our hands on some fresh shrimp too but that is a tall order being 1500 miles from either coast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT