ADVERTISEMENT

D coordinator

From what I've read they didn't do anything, he did. This guy looks like a step down. Given the other coaches we've lost this year we didn't need to lose the top guy on defense. Is there any reason for me to be excited about this hire @TarHeelNation11?
I'm not participating in this thread because strum talking about Carolina Football pisses me off too much, other than to say these two things:

1. Jimmys and Joes is ~80% of the reason why our defense didn't improve more than it did under Chizik. Gene would be the other 20%
2. There isn't a ton to be excited about with this hire, but we are slowly bringing more talent into the program and every great coach once was seen as a "meh" hire, so I'm going to keep an open mind on this one, you know, until I at least see us play a few games.

From what I've read they didn't do anything, he did. This guy looks like a step down. Given the other coaches we've lost this year we didn't need to lose the top guy on defense. Is there any reason for me to be excited about this hire @TarHeelNation11?
I was never that impressed with Chizik. That's no secret. I dunno who this guy is, but I wasn't expecting the UNC team to be very good, with or without Chizik.

I'm not participating in this thread because strum talking about Carolina Football pisses me off too much, other than to say these two things:

1. Jimmys and Joes is ~80% of the reason why our defense didn't improve more than it did under Chizik. Gene would be the other 20%
2. There isn't a ton to be excited about with this hire, but we are slowly bringing more talent into the program and every great coach once was seen as a "meh" hire, so I'm going to keep an open mind on this one, you know, until I at least see us play a few games.
giphy.gif

I'm sure you withheld so much more because of me. And... I appreciate the props!

all this does is make it much easier to use youth and inexperience as an excuse again...personally, i don't care who the coordinator is as long as the position coaches are in the same playbook...i can only hope the guy likes a 4-3 tampa 2 scheme.

at this point, fedora is still gonna have to score 30 ppg to be bowl eligible no matter who is coaching on defense.

The surprising part for me is that Pap has already been a D-Coordinator at Nebraska, yet we hire someone that has coached under Pap before, but now he's going to lead the Defense, while Pap coaches the LBers?

Seems a bit strange for sure?

The surprising part for me is that Pap has already been a D-Coordinator at Nebraska, yet we hire someone that has coached under Pap before, but now he's going to lead the Defense, while Pap coaches the LBers?

Not sure all that is settled yet. Personally, I'm just hoping to avoid a repeat of the dreaded co-DC arrangement.

Reactions: grillheel
i don't care who the coordinator is as long as the position coaches are in the same playbook
This is going to be the problem. Even if they do use the same type of schemes, they are all new to each other. Given all of the unknowns on offense this year, we needed some stability on the defensive side. Now all but one coach is gone and I'm not super impressed by any of the replacements.

I don't think he coached under Pap. I think they were assistants at the same time. Ekeler doing LB while Pap did DE/DL. Pap become D-Coordinator for 2012 but Ekeler was gone by then (co-defensive coordinator at Indiana across from Littrell)

But I suspect we'll have the co-coordinator thing going on, just a hunch.

This is going to be the problem. Even if they do use the same type of schemes, they are all new to each other. Given all of the unknowns on offense this year, we needed some stability on the defensive side. Now all but one coach is gone and I'm not super impressed by any of the replacements.

could be an issue, true...some might be more aggressive, etc.

have you watched nt tape yet?...check it out

Espn reported Chizik resigned for family reasons.... They said Pap would be D.C. in their article

I'm disappointed that we won't get to see whether the light comes on in the third year of Chizik's defense. Still, we should know in the first couple games of next season (Cal and Louisville) if the defense has improved.

The two most significant losses on D were Naz Jones and Des Lawrence. The talent is already on the roster to replace them. The question is whether the extra year will be enough seasoning for some of those young guys to make an impact. If we can shore up the run defense this is a top-40 unit easy.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I'm disappointed that we won't get to see whether the light comes on in the third year of Chizik's defense. Still, we should know in the first couple games of next season (Cal and Louisville) if the defense has improved.

The two most significant losses on D were Naz Jones and Des Lawrence. The talent is already on the roster to replace them. The question is whether the extra year will be enough seasoning for some of those young guys to make an impact. If we can shore up the run defense this is a top-40 unit easy.

It could take a few yrs for the "talent" to replace the production of Naz and Des. I see the secondary taking a step back unless someone replaces Bell, as well as the DT production. Naz was like 4th in total tackles on the team - you a DT doing that very often. He played like a 4-star in my opinion.

It could take a few yrs for the "talent" to replace the production of Naz.... Naz was like 4th in total tackles on the team - you a DT doing that very often. He played like a 4-star in my opinion.
You're right, it's not very common for a DT to have 70 tackles.* I don't think we need that level of production though. We just need someone who can shore up the middle of the defense. I feel as good as I have in years about the talent and depth at DT: Clarke (5.6), Dinkins (5.7), Dalton (6.0), Crawford (5.6), Dunlap (5.5), Gill (5.8), Riley (5.7). Surely somebody from that group will step up this season. Maybe more than one somebody.

* Incidentally, Dexter Lawrence was fifth on the team with 78 tackles in his freshman year at Clemson, and he wasn't even the leading tackler at DT. Carlos Watkins had 82. Wow.

Reactions: grillheel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT