ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Drop: Grading Hubert Davis’ Offseason Roster REVAMP!

He definitely filled all the dots, the guys that transferred in scare me to be honest, I like all the pick ups however. If a guy did not shine at his previous school, I don't see them breaking out with us. Cadeau coming in early is a reason for optimism, he has the vision to make this team move. RJ is all about his shooting and he would be an upgrade to Love from last year.

HD gave us a shot with this team.

Reactions: ChapelHeeled
At this point I would give Hubert a very strong A for his roster changes this off season. Only reason I can't give A+ is maybe he could have got a little bit more than Wojick as a back up 3. And even he can play I think, his main role may be to hit open jumpers and I do feel he can do that well.

Now we have to see how they will all come together but the pieces do seem to fit well on paper, they don't play on paper however.

At this point I would give Hubert a very strong A for his roster changes this off season. Only reason I can't give A+ is maybe he could have got a little bit more than Wojick as a back up 3. And even he can play I think, his main role may be to hit open jumpers and I do feel he can do that well.

Now we have to see how they will all come together but the pieces do seem to fit well on paper, they don't play on paper however.
Yep, now we’ll see how much of a jump the staff has made from their sophomore to junior season. Severe injury issues are the only excuse for not having a very good season(top 3 in ACC and top 20 nationally.

Coach Davis could have recruited the Denver Nuggets current roster and there would still be so called fans finding fault with him. I would hope those fans could help elevate the team this year to new heights instead of hiding behind their computers and trying to find faults with the program…

Solid A+ in my book! This would have to be a video game or fantasy bball for him to get a better haul from all sources! The roster make over was absolutely brilliant! The staff needs to grow a bit since every coach in history had to, but not as much as peeps seem to think! We had 13 losses last season and were within 1 possession in the final minutes of 10-11 of them. In the vast majority we had second half leads! Considering how poor our shooting and camaraderie were, how did we accomplish this? Remove injuries; get a bounce or two; hit a shot or two; be a little stronger with the ball; and suddenly we have a special season!

The team we assembled is 2-3 deep at every position and one of the oldest we have ever had. The coaches are all known for reflection and growth in their histories so I expect them to continue to be themselves! The players are hungry and all except the freshmen are motivated to erase the bad taste from last year!

It is always a GDTBATH, but these days are better than most!

I am holding off until I see the product on the floor. The last few seasons of UNC basketball have all shared a true lack of chemistry, a bunch of guys wearing the same uniform but not a team. Annual roster turnover really hurts a coach's ability to build that chemistry and cohesion. Are the parts there? on paper, yes, but they were there last season also.

I will give Hubert credit for filling open spots, but I have to give him some blame for so many spots being available.

I see your point B but assign more blame to the current climate in sports and to the change in people in general for the open spots. Peeps have unprecedented freedom to move and unprecedented lack of character and accountability now!

Hubs should use his bench way more now and can play peeps in optimal positions. I expect to see this happen but, if it doesn't, then the blame will fall squarely on Hubs!

I am holding off until I see the product on the floor. The last few seasons of UNC basketball have all shared a true lack of chemistry, a bunch of guys wearing the same uniform but not a team. Annual roster turnover really hurts a coach's ability to build that chemistry and cohesion. Are the parts there? on paper, yes, but they were there last season also.

I will give Hubert credit for filling open spots, but I have to give him some blame for so many spots being available.
I agree with all of that but chemistry and cohesion, where do you get that? The best place to start is withy a real PG as your starting PG, something we have not had since Joel left. What we have had has been combos playing the point or PG that look for their own shot way to much (FYI, I did feel even Joel slipped in to that taking to many shots deal). What we have needed, what would have made all the difference last season was having a pass first, really quick, solid ball handler, solid passer that takes a QBs mindset to the floor. Now we actually had one of those last season (Seth) but he was not allowed to play the point but for a couple short spots, he was most often in as the 2 or 3.

IN Cadeau we have the prototype, all that I referenced above, stay with that prototype and that means no more combo's or shoot first PGs PLEASE! That means if Boogie Fland did want to play for us he would need to play the 2, he is not what we need as a PG, but Felton may be.

Reactions: Archer2

I resemble that remark. What's on paper and what shows on the court could be 2 different animals. We were ranked #1 last season and you saw how that turned out. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Archer2

I believe the greatest inhibitor of team chemistry left an open spot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT