ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Drop: Is Jalen Washington Ready To Start In The Post For UNC?

First daily drop that I can recall that I have a differing opinion. My favorite 2 players on our roster are Seth and Jalen, have shared that many times so realize, I am not coming from a place of being pre-disposed to being overtly critical of Jalen, I think he has NBA potential down the road.

My concern is when we take his actual numbers and try to extrapolate them over 40mins but we are dealing with a kid that as a soph did only play 8mins a game last season? How hard you are able to play for your 2 or 3mins of court time when you walk on the court is different from how you play for 30mins a game, is the stamina there for that? The knee, held up for 8mins a game but what about 30mins a game? I have no idea how long Jalen can play continues and not be grabbing his shorts at the free throw line, is that jumper as accurate on tired legs? Over the last 6yrs, this kid has not had the ability to build stamina, most of the last 6yrs was spent on rehabbing?

1 issue with him that did bug the heck out of me was in the very few mins he was going to be in a game before being pulled, I wanted him to aggressively look for his jumpers and he didn't. I want him to aggressively look for those mid-range jumpers, I want his mates to help set those up rather than treat him like the last option.

I’d be thrilled if Jalen Washington could average 15 points, 9 rebounds, and a few blocks per game. I'd be equally thrilled if Jennifer Aniston asked me out on a date. I doubt either will happen, but I hope I'm wrong on both counts. I'd happily eat humble pie if proven otherwise.

I’d be thrilled if Jalen Washington could average 15 points, 9 rebounds, and a few blocks per game. I'd be equally thrilled if Jennifer Aniston asked me out on a date. I doubt either will happen, but I hope I'm wrong on both counts. I'd happily eat humble pie if proven otherwise.
That made me spit out my iced tea laughing.

If you and Jennifer don't work out, please send her my way!😂

AJ asks if we'd like 15 points, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks and average defense over 32 minutes.

Absolutely. That doesn't match what we're losing from Armando, but it's pretty darn close.

My issue is that I can't really imagine the 32 minutes part. And if we force him to play 32 minutes, ready or not, I doubt we'll get those good numbers. Plus, he'll foul out a bunch.

The good news is that we shouldn't need JWash to play 32 minutes. If he can play 25 minutes, starting or off the bench, and can turn in adjusted per-40 numbers, we get 11.6 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.7 blocks. And he doesn't foul out too often.

Naturally we'd all like him to bust out with the stamina, control and motor to be a force for 32 minutes. The success of the team doesn't require that, imo. But it might require it for 20-25 mpg.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I added Armando to the bottom for comparison purposes and highlighted the "winner" in each category. Armando is better on 14 of the 16 comparisons (4 players x 4 measures) and 2nd on the other 2.

Big shoes to fill.

Per-40 numbers adjusted for 25 minutes...

PlayerPointsReboundsBlocksFouls
JWash11.67.71.74.1
Lubin10.95.60.91.8
JWit8.57.31.02.9
Armando11.98.41.32.3

Last edited:
If Lubin plays the same minutes as last year (28.2) and we double the minutes for Withers (12.4) and Washington (8.3), that rounds to 70 minutes out of the 80 front line minutes available.

That leaves 10 min for Tyson at PF or for High/Brown at either position. Or for JWash if he can handle more minutes.

A lot of people talk like Tyson could/should start or play a lot at PF, but that's hard to see unless JWash doesn't make the expected improvements.

A lot of people talk like Tyson could/should start or play a lot at PF, but that's hard to see unless JWash doesn't make the expected improvements.
Washington can't defend the modern stretch 4. He can't close out on shooters, navigate screens, stay in front of drivers... basically every aspect of perimeter defense. There's a reason the staff played him pretty much exclusively at Center. Unless we encounter a team that plays a traditional post player at PF, I wouldn't expect Washington to see any minutes at the 4.

It's going to be Tyson and Withers as our primary 4s. We've already seen them matched up in the brief clips the UNC basketball Instagram account posted.

She's looking kind of rough these days. Kind of like a man.

BB1nREL2.img

• Haha
Washington can't defend the modern stretch 4. He can't close out on shooters, navigate screens, stay in front of drivers... basically every aspect of perimeter defense. There's a reason the staff played him pretty much exclusively at Center. Unless we encounter a team that plays a traditional post player at PF, I wouldn't expect Washington to see any minutes at the 4.

It's going to be Tyson and Withers as our primary 4s. We've already seen them matched up in the brief clips the UNC basketball Instagram account posted.
I wasn't saying Washington would play PF (although some have suggested that). Just that if Washington can play starter minutes, that doesn't leave many for Tyson at the PF. Because Lubin and Withers will get starter-level minutes. It's just math.

I wasn't saying Washington would play PF (although some have suggested that). Just that if Washington can play starter minutes, that doesn't leave many for Tyson at the PF. Because Lubin and Withers will get starter-level minutes. It's just math.
I think Tyson is stepping into Ingram's role. Starting stretch 4 with some minutes at the 3. It will fluctuate based on matchups.

Personally I don't see Lubin or Washington playing much at the 4. They are our centers. Maybe in the rare game where we encounter a team playing a traditional bruising post at PF, but those are pretty rare these days.

I also think front court minutes could vary wildly from game to game. We don't have an All American center anymore. So you're likely to see the staff experimenting a lot, going with the hot hand a lot, and playing the best matchups. Also don't forget Withers' best college season was playing as an undersized center at Louisville. There may be games where Withers plays a lot of center, and Washington sits a lot.

I thought that was a very good, yet objective, perspective of Wash and what fans should expect, or look for, this season. I really like his game and think he will have a great pay for play career. I also think that even though this years team will be very versatile I do think that a consistently dependable inside game will be a key to this teams success this season because it will open up so many opportunities for other players and so many options for the outside shooters, drivers and dishers. One of the most overlooked and least glamorous parts of UNC bball over the years has been that 10-15 ft. game from either the baseline or slots that have been the bread and butter for many a banner hanging in the dome. Nice piece AJ.

Personally I don't see Lubin or Washington playing much at the 4. They are our centers.
With the guys we have, will we see a traditional center or just "front line guys" who play either or both positions?

Years ago we used to talk like our front line guys were interchangeable. With 3 basket-facing bigs, we could be returning to those days.

Just guessing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT