ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Drop: Ranking UNC's Last 5 Title-Game Teams!

It’s close but I think you have to go with the 2005 team over the 2009 team. The 2005 team was a criminally underrated team. It finished second in the nation in offensive efficiency and seventh in defensive efficiency. It was absolutely stacked with NBA talent and featured a deep stable of quality role players. They were also better defensively.

Reactions: Heelicious
That 2005 team basically lost 2 games at full strength all year, at Wake to CP3 and at Dook to JJ Redick. Beat probably the best team to never win a title in the ship and the game probably wouldnt have gotten close if Illinois wasnt allowed to shoot open 3’s off moving screens the whole second half

Lawson's speed made the 09 team simply lethal on offense in transition but I would also give the edge to 05. They could play in a transition game and but could also destroy you in half court. McCants just played so much bigger and more physical than his size.

Reactions: Heelicious
Lawson's speed made the 09 team simply lethal on offense in transition but I would also give the edge to 05. They could play in a transition game and but could also destroy you in half court. McCants just played so much bigger and more physical than his size.
Yeah! And think how deep with strong talent both these teams were - including 2005 with Marvin Williams as 6th man. A great low post scorer and ball handling slasher and finisher in the paint. I think he went second overall in the following nba draft.

Both teams could put up 90+ without breaking a sweat - and dominated the boards and post play - with unstoppable machines in May and TH.

Reactions: DaSheed
I was going to say “it’s a shame how things turned out of McCants - so much talent and killer instinct as a basketball player when he was ON”.

But then I started to think of all the players on ‘05 and ‘09 teams - and certainly Felton (guns / girlfriend abuse) and Lawson (alcohol abuse) had big issues that derailed them. Other guys like May and TH - their great college achievements didn’t translate to nba so well. I think Marvin w and zeller had decent nba careers. I don’t recall Ellington doing much in NBA.

Who had Danny Green pegged as the most successful, longest tenure nba player from both of those teams? I get that he was a very good (great?) piece on the 09 team and could do so many things well. But he just overachieved (meant in a best way) in the NBA by staying out of trouble, listening to the right people, and working his butt off year after year. And it literally paid off for him - big time.

Reactions: DaSheed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT