ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Drop: What If UNC Doesn't Add a Big Man From the Portal?

I am not scared in the least! I have more faith than most in our staff's ability to coach peeps up AND to get what we need from the portal! If we have to stand pat, peeps will have to dedicate themselves to getting stronger and especially High, JWash to playing better D without fouling! I can see a vastly different style next season with, at times, 5 scorers on the floor at once! (with 4 being shooters). I can see us running even more and playing 11 peeps in waves. BUT, If O pops, peeps better get ready or get off the tracks!

I honestly can not envision a scenario does not bring in a quality 5 for next season. The pitch to Omoruyi almost makes itself! Cliff, our starting center that played well over 30mins a game last season is no longer with us. The ONLY guy we have for the center spot averaged 8mins a game last season. This is the biggest stage in college basketball, if you are a NBA scout you will spend a ton of time watching UNC, watching you do your thing in Tar Heel blue. We will get some things going to play outside the country so you can get some NIL coming in. Cliff, I know you know about Cadeau, that kid can't wait to toss you alley ooops as many times as you want and how about the leading candidate for NCAA POY playing the 2 guard spot. Let's go get a national championship ring, what ya say, what size ring do you wear? ;)

Is that how it can work?
Yeah, for him to get NIL he has to do it while outside of the USA. For example, say we play in the Bahamas, he can shoot ads and get paid, he can't shoot the ad while in the US, it is a restriction on the type VISA he has. That is why all these folks that keep talking about him looking for a bag are so wrong, Edny had the very same problem and Purdue scheduled a game or 2 in Canada so Edny could get some NIL.

I think if Hubert can set up a tour as teams are allowed in the summer to Europe for example, I think it would close the deal with Cliff quick, even the Bahamas tourney would work great for this. Many believe this issue will go away, there are some on congress working on it. The problem and the reason this is as it is was the suspicion that some folks on VISA to the states have worked to raise money for terrorism and this was put in place to stop that. So it isn't as easy as it being unfair to athletes and doing something about that.

We definitely need Cliff! If we get Cliff, I feel fine with Withers or Washington starting at the 4. But I do not feel confident having both Withers starting at the 4 and Washington at the 5. We need a big time player in 1 of those spots to add leadership and depth!

We definitely need Cliff! If we get Cliff, I feel fine with Withers or Washington starting at the 4. But I do not feel confident having both Withers starting at the 4 and Washington at the 5. We need a big time player in 1 of those spots to add leadership and depth!
That's sort of my feeling, too. I think it's reasonable to expect at least one of Withers and Washington to achieve legit UNC starter status this year, but I really don't want to bet the farm that BOTH of them will get all the way there.

Reactions: gthreadgill7929
A Withers/Washington/High/Brown PF/C rotation limits my expectations. I think a 2nd weekend in the NCAA Tournament is a pretty successful season.

I thought this past year's team was a Sweet 16 team and needed the bracket to go their way a bit to make the Final Four. It almost happened with Clemson waiting in the E8, but I didn't love the matchup against Alabama. Next year's team projects to be better in some areas. I think Cadeau will be more consistent and better. I think Tyson can provide a more consistent dimension than Ryan did. And it looks like we have more of a scorer's DNA type player in Ian Jackson and that's something UNC didn't have last year apart from RJ.

However, Withers/Washington/High/Brown lacks quality and consistency, and it might lack depth depending if High improves enough and if Brown provides anything at all. Right now, that's probably more of a 3 man rotation with Withers/Washington/High. And that rotation doesn't have a ton of flexibility. If Tyson plays the 4 (I don't think he can unless his opponent has his frame), then you can't play Withers at the 5. So that rotation lacks versatility and potentially lacks quality too.

If that Withers/Washington/High/Brown combo is the rotation next year, quite frankly, they need to show something that they didn't really show last season. And in Brown's case, he probably needs to be better than advertised (longer-term project).

Norchad Omier didn't get a NBA combine invite.

Maybe he should reach out to us. HI got one... Just sayin'

We better hope Washington and High turn into something we never expected.. we let everyone slip on by..

Understand what's actually going on and you would retract your post.

After Coach Sisk's drive by post claiming Danny Wolf was Hubert's top choice, followed by Wolf committing elsewhere without visiting, I'm sure you guys have the best intel.

After Coach Sisk's drive by post claiming Danny Wolf was Hubert's top choice, followed by Wolf committing elsewhere without visiting, I'm sure you guys have the best intel.

Not sure how to take that post, and I certianly don't recall David ever saying Wolf was the top choice. As for our intel, it's been spot-on so far.

AND, if you knew what we've reported, as we learned more information, Wolf was asking for $700,000 and UNC wasn't going to give it to him. Hence, the lost interest.
Which means the people controlling our NIL aren't doing their jobs very well.

We have an elite perimeter unit. We just need a good starting front court. And apparently $700k is an amount our NIL can't come up with.

We could start a GoFundMe with the title "help RJ Davis win a championship" and gather enough money to get a starting center. Unfortunately we put our faith in our NIL collective and now all the starting centers are gone, most without ever visiting UNC.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
They felt Wolf was not worth that much or are they working within a fixed budget and could not come up with that much?

Which means the people controlling our NIL aren't doing their jobs very well.

We have an elite perimeter unit. We just need a good starting front court. And apparently $700k is an amount our NIL can't come up with.

We could start a GoFundMe with the title "help RJ Davis win a championship" and gather enough money to get a starting center. Unfortunately we put our faith in our NIL collective and now all the starting centers are gone, most without ever visiting UNC.

Again, you must think it's only about spending money. I figured Carolina fans would have learned the last two years the value of team chemistry.

If a program makes contact with a player in the portal and love his film, but early on in the conversations the player and his people make absolute financial demands, the program has to make a decision. Chemistry is key here.

Interesting you choose that to dump on David (and our intel), when there wasn't one thing he reported about Wolf (or this entire process) that has been incorrect.

If they needed more money, I sure as hell never saw them communicate it. But then again there is a reason UK no longer wanted this guy, and Calipari sure as hell didn't try to hire him to run Arkansas' NIL.

If they needed more money, I sure as hell never saw them communicate it. But then again there is a reason UK no longer wanted this guy, and Calipari sure as hell didn't try to hire him to run Arkansas' NIL.

Who didn't communicate they needed more money?

I'm not going to get into the specifics about how Beisner got to UNC. Cal didn't try to hire him because Beisner is very happy where he is.

I get that you are unhappy, but to take it out in the wrong direction, and also incorrectly charcterize our reporting because you're unhappy, is wrong and not going to help anyone.

Again, you must think it's only about spending money. I figured Carolina fans would have learned the last two years the value of team chemistry.

If a program makes contact with a player in the portal and love his film, but early on in the conversations the player and his people make absolute financial demands, the program has to make a decision. Chemistry is key here.

Interesting you choose that to dump on David (and our intel), when there wasn't one thing he reported about Wolf (or this entire process) that has been incorrect.
Cool story. But you won't know who is a chemistry killer until they show up on campus and interact with the team. Dawson Garcia being a very recent example. And we aren't even getting these much needed transfer recruits to visit.

At the end of the day, you either win at a UNC level or people are going to get fired. Somebody isn't doing their job right now and it's embarrassing. You can make all the excuses you want, but that's the reality. Our front court is not up to UNC's standards, the staff is trying to fix it, and we've missed every target they liked because of money.

You trying to equate financial demands to being a chemistry problem is simply not going to fly in the NIL era. Especially when we, the fans, have been paying a lot to make guys like Bacot wealthy. Everyone is getting paid. That doesn't make everyone a chemistry problem. I certainly don't buy the idea that a kid from Yale who has busted his butt to become a good player would be a chemistry problem just because he wants to be paid.

If you're going to label every kid with an NIL deal a chemistry problem, we might as well just shut the program down.

Reactions: Bur-Heel
Cool story. But you won't know who is a chemistry killer until they show up on campus and interact with the team. Dawson Garcia being a very recent example. And we aren't even getting these much needed transfer recruits to visit.

At the end of the day, you either win at a UNC level or people are going to get fired. Somebody isn't doing their job right now and it's embarrassing. You can make all the excuses you want, but that's the reality. Our front court is not up to UNC's standards, the staff is trying to fix it, and we've missed every target they liked because of money.

You trying to equate financial demands to being a chemistry problem is simply not going to fly in the NIL era. Especially when we, the fans, have been paying a lot to make guys like Bacot wealthy. Everyone is getting paid. That doesn't make everyone a chemistry problem. I certainly don't buy the idea that a kid from Yale who has busted his butt to become a good player would be a chemistry problem just because he wants to be paid.

If you're going to label every kid with an NIL deal a chemistry problem, we might as well just shut the program down.

Why so rude?

And maybe they learned from Garcia, ever think of that?

I am not labeling anyone as you've insinuated. I haven't said one word to justify you typing that. You didn't soak in what I've said here or what we have discussed at length on the FC board.

Tyson had a high demand, but it wasn't his only or main demand.

You're pissed. You're bitter. And you're woefully incorrect in your characterizations about David's reporting and what I have said here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT