ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley to the Lakers?

If that happens, the current UConn players will be eligible to enter the transfer portal.

Interesting…The Insider that comes on the PMS Show basically said that JJ was a done deal to the Lakers…

I recently listened to the Mike Francesca podcast where Danny Hurley was a guest. Towards the end, Hurley unexpectedly mentioned his interest in coaching in the NBA if the right deal came along, even though Francesca hadn't brought up the topic. He also described the current NIL landscape as the Wild West, pointing out the lack of regulations in college basketball. In my opinion, Hurley's departure is imminent.

One less coach in our path to outcoach HD......
If Hurley departs, Luke Murray would step in, and his basketball acumen ensures UCONN wouldn't miss a beat. It's unlikely any players would transfer. UCONN remains secure unless Murray also moves to the NBA.

If Hurley departs, Luke Murray would step in, and his basketball acumen ensures UCONN wouldn't miss a beat. It's unlikely any players would transfer. UCONN remains secure unless Murray also moves to the NBA.
Had to look him up…Didn’t know that was Bill Murray son…

I recently listened to the Mike Francesca podcast where Danny Hurley was a guest. Towards the end, Hurley unexpectedly mentioned his interest in coaching in the NBA if the right deal came along, even though Francesca hadn't brought up the topic. He also described the current NIL landscape as the Wild West, pointing out the lack of regulations in college basketball. In my opinion, Hurley's departure is imminent.
Yeah... I may end up being wrong on this, but as soon as I heard about it my reaction was Hurley is gone...

Kimani Young is the associate head coach at UConn. Why would Luke Murray get the head coaching job??

The NBA is announcing a record 76 billion dollar media deal. UCONN is not a football school and with the average revenue based salary cap for the Big 4/5, UCONN will be at a severe disadvantage. Business decisions being made on all ends, including Coach Hurley.

Kimani Young is the associate head coach at UConn. Why would Luke Murray get the head coaching job??
DaveChappelle, you clearly know way more about basketball than I do, but I have to say, Luke Murray is a basketball genius in my opinion. If Hurley leaves, I'm pretty sure he'll want to take Murray with him. While Young might get the UConn job, if I were Hurley or UConn, I'd do everything to keep Murray. He's the real asset between the two.

As much as a big time college coach can gain respect, good pay, and lasting relationships, NIL has made their life miserable I'm sure. Can't imagine anyone not jumping at a chance to move on from what the college game has become.

Reactions: Archer2 and DaSheed
As much as a big time college coach can gain respect, good pay, and lasting relationships, NIL has made their life miserable I'm sure. Can't imagine anyone not jumping at a chance to move on from what the college game has become.
Not just NIL. The removal of all transfer rules. Guys can change schools every year if they want to chase a bigger role or more NIL money. Feels like college coaches have to re-recruit their full roster every offseason now.

Go to the NBA, leave all that crap behind, get paid handsomely, and get four months of vacation every offseason.

Reactions: alabamaheel
I think we are in the UConn bracket in the Maui Invitational - although that may not be finalized yet. I wasn't liking that, but if Hurley leaves, that might make our path easier, even if UConn holds onto its players.

The NBA is announcing a record 76 billion dollar media deal. UCONN is not a football school and with the average revenue based salary cap for the Big 4/5, UCONN will be at a severe disadvantage. Business decisions being made on all ends, including Coach Hurley.
TNT back in the mix. The NBA new media deal is getting close to 100 BILLION. Looks to be at 87 billion now. Salary caps are going explode once again as the League continues to flourish. Hard not to want to be a part of that.

I think we are in the UConn bracket in the Maui Invitational - although that may not be finalized yet. I wasn't liking that, but if Hurley leaves, that might make our path easier, even if UConn holds onto its players.
So then, who really cares about your doubt published here...🏀

TNT back in the mix. The NBA new media deal is getting close to 100 BILLION. Looks to be at 87 billion now. Salary caps are going explode once again as the League continues to flourish. Hard not to want to be a part of that.

It’s absolutely astonishing to me. It’s astonishing to me that the NBA is frankly, profitable at all really, let alone to the degree that it can command that kind of deal. I guess different strokes and all that, but to me, the game is in steady decline since the golden era of the 80s/90s. Yes, I know guys shoot from halfcourt these days and dribble like Curley Neal but I don’t want to watch a skills competition. I want to watch a basketball game. I just don’t enjoy this iteration of pro basketball. To me, it’s a bore.

The move to court the Euro game/players/fans was what has created the boom. I was skeptical of that decision by the NBA originally but they clearly knew what they were doing.

ESPN is reporting he turned the job down…6 years 70 million…Will stay at UCONN…

I love this decision for college basketball. Plus, I think he may be waiting for the Knicks job so he can keep his family on east coast. I think he said that's important to his wife.

Reactions: DaSheed
I hate that he’s staying as it makes UCONN more formidable. I also am astonished someone would choose to remain in the northeast; even someone from the northeast. Although Southern California has become a complete disaster. I’m also guessing he wanted no part of the LeBron circus.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Dan Hurley declined a 6-year, $70 million offer from the Lakers and instead signed a 6-year, $50 million extension with UConn. The moment the Knicks job is available, he’s out the door.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT