ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Mullen's seat is HOT

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
and he is striking before he gets canned: DC Todd Grantham and OL coach John Hevesy have been fired.

I have watched a handful of plays in just 2 Florida games this season, so I certainly have no way to sense what all is wrong with that program. Perhaps a new DC and new OL coach will return the Gators to competing for the SEC East.

I think most people who read here know that Josh Heupel is getting more out of the Vols this season than almost anyone thought possible last spring. And Heupel was a sound HC at UCF. This is the same Heupel who was QB on the last Oklahoma National Champ and then as OU OC was fired by Bob Stoops. Stoops was acting then to protect his brother Mike Stoops. OU boosters were demanding heads, and Bob kept the weaker coordinator who was his brother. Mike Stoops was a mediocre to poor DC.

That story is one that highlights how coaches under pressure sometimes deliver a head but deliver the wrong head.

Grantham has been an up and down DC. Maybe his best days are behind him. But if this UF D is missing a lot of tackles, and has players regularly taking bad angles to the ball, and has players who often seem not to know what the D play call is, then changing the DC may not help nearly enough.

Hevesy was the Miss St OL coach the entire time that Mullen was Miss St HC, and my impression remains that Miss St had sound OLs for that long haul. Is the UF OL the worst performing position group on the UF Offense? If my reading has been correct, the Gators have gotten very little production from QBs. Is that due to the OL, or is that due to failure to develop QBs, or perhaps to betting on the wrong QB? I do know that Gators fans have been strongly opposed to Mullen's chosen QB starter.

Mullen has been praised as a QB coach par excellence. Is he covering his reputation by making somebody else pay the price for an offense that is limping badly?

Reactions: heelpharm
Gators win 70-52.

In Gainesville, Florida gave up 52 points to a 1AA team that came in with a losing record.

Gators win 70-52.

In Gainesville, Florida gave up 52 points to a 1AA team that came in with a losing record.
did you see what he brought to cola, sc last week?…i don’t know wtf is going on within that program, but they won’t put up with it long…they should battle georgia every year on that side, they have it all.

did you see what he brought to cola, sc last week?…i don’t know wtf is going on within that program, but they won’t put up with it long…they should battle georgia every year on that side, they have it all.
I'm beginning to think that Mullen may have decided he is ready to get out with a huge buyout. So he's laying rotten eggs accidentally on purpose.

Mullen is a good coach. He's outperformed (up until this season) Kirby with less talented teams. His problem is recruiting. And UF lost a lot to the draft the last couple years (including their QB). That's tough - to go from SECCG to being fired in one season.

Last edited:
and he is striking before he gets canned: DC Todd Grantham and OL coach John Hevesy have been fired.

I have watched a handful of plays in just 2 Florida games this season, so I certainly have no way to sense what all is wrong with that program. Perhaps a new DC and new OL coach will return the Gators to competing for the SEC East.

I think most people who read here know that Josh Heupel is getting more out of the Vols this season than almost anyone thought possible last spring. And Heupel was a sound HC at UCF. This is the same Heupel who was QB on the last Oklahoma National Champ and then as OU OC was fired by Bob Stoops. Stoops was acting then to protect his brother Mike Stoops. OU boosters were demanding heads, and Bob kept the weaker coordinator who was his brother. Mike Stoops was a mediocre to poor DC.

That story is one that highlights how coaches under pressure sometimes deliver a head but deliver the wrong head.

Grantham has been an up and down DC. Maybe his best days are behind him. But if this UF D is missing a lot of tackles, and has players regularly taking bad angles to the ball, and has players who often seem not to know what the D play call is, then changing the DC may not help nearly enough.

Hevesy was the Miss St OL coach the entire time that Mullen was Miss St HC, and my impression remains that Miss St had sound OLs for that long haul. Is the UF OL the worst performing position group on the UF Offense? If my reading has been correct, the Gators have gotten very little production from QBs. Is that due to the OL, or is that due to failure to develop QBs, or perhaps to betting on the wrong QB? I do know that Gators fans have been strongly opposed to Mullen's chosen QB starter.

Mullen has been praised as a QB coach par excellence. Is he covering his reputation by making somebody else pay the price for an offense that is limping badly?

I don't know who was the better coordinator. But I would take Stoops over Heupel as HC. Frost is actually the one that turned UCF around. Heupel ran up the score a lot against weak competition and that's basically how he got his reputation. Stoops, on the other hand, has built a little bit of something at UK. I know UT won the game this year, but I'd be shocked if Heupel is the one that gets them back on track. Honestly, the SEC East (outside of UGA) is just really bad, though, so maybe it works out for him.

Last edited:
I don't know who was the better coordinator. But I would take Stoops over Heupel as HC. Frost is actually the one that turned UCF around. Heupel ran up the score a lot against weak competition and that's basically how he got his reputation. Stoops, on the other hand, has built a little bit of something at UK. I know UT won the game this year, but I'd be shocked if Heupel is the one that gets them back on track. Honestly, the SEC East (outside of UGA) is just really bad, though, so maybe it works out for him.
Don't confuse Mike Stoops and Mark Stoops. Mike Stoops is the DC that almost all OU fans either hate or feel sorry for because of his low mediocrity. Mark Stoops did not rely on older brother Bob for a DC job. He was FSU DC and is now UK HC.

Brent Venables left OU because of Mike Stoops. Bob Stoops wanted Mike to be given credit for good things on D and seemed to expect Venables to fall on his sword when things went bad. Venables left for Clemson and was suddenly as good a DC as could be found.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Don't confuse Mike Stoops and Mark Stoops. Mike Stoops is the DC that almost all OU fans either hate or feel sorry for because of his low mediocrity. Mark Stoops did not rely on older brother Bob for a DC job. He was FSU DC and is now UK HC.

Brent Venables left OU because of Mike Stoops. Bob Stoops wanted Mike to be given credit for good things on D and seemed to expect Venables to fall on his sword when things went bad. Venables left for Clemson and was suddenly as good a DC as could be found.

You're right. I don't even know how i managed to get those two confused.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT