ADVERTISEMENT

Davis also shined yesterday

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
I do not think I have seen one article or comment about how much Davis contributed to the victory yesterday. Along with Kessler who spearheaded the great comeback with his play on both sides of the court, Davis ran the team, hit several big threes and combined with Kessler to bring the team back from the dead. Stats do not lie and Davis stacked the stat sheet.

I do not think I have seen one article or comment about how much Davis contributed to the victory yesterday. Along with Kessler who spearheaded the great comeback with his play on both sides of the court, Davis ran the team, hit several big threes and combined with Kessler to bring the team back from the dead. Stats do not lie and Davis stacked the stat sheet.
I was much more comfortable with Davis having the ball in his hands late than I was with Love.

One thing I noticed about Love yesterday and I don’t generally notice about RJ - Love has some need, some habit of screwing around on the dribble between his legs incessantly - with zero value added - and high probability of turning it over.

Maybe he thinks this is super impressive flash or sizzle that wows NBA scouts or his coaches, or intimidates opponents. It doesn’t. It’s pure garbage. Just annoying.

But it’s ingrained in him. He can’t just turn it off. Maybe if he comes back, he can play against some NBA Heels over the summer who can show him and tell him what’s up - how that garbage doesn’t fly at all at NBA or college level.

Davis had a great game, seems to play more under control and generally makes better decisions than Love as a point guard. Love has the physical attributes to be a pro(regardless of his propensity for multiple turnovers in short stretches) and if he can string together 8/10 games of hitting a decent percentage of shots could easily be one and done(even if he's still turning it over).

I see it that Roy has to play Love because of his recruiting profile status as a potential one and done. To me, Davis is a better point guard right now. When Roy made the decision to start one over the other, there was no way Davis was going to get the nod. Love is and will be given every opportunity to lead this team to the season end.

IMO, the young players who are improving have a better understanding of where to be in this system and where their teammates are likely to be. Walton, Davis, and Kessler display these qualities. Love and Sharpe are slower to get to their level(it will come).

Carolina is not lacking in talent. If one wish could be granted, it would be Caleb Loves improving his play at point guard. Its been a difficult road. And thats probably not happening next game and based on his progression, not this year.

I don't think that Davis shined. He played aggressively, and contributed to the win. I thought that he played well. I would give him a solid B. He shot 3 of 11 with 5 turnovers

Davis always plays aggressively and looks into the game. He hasn’t always played “great” but he’s been more than adequate for a freshman and I wish more of the players had his tenacity .

I yelled at the TV a couple times yesterday that Davis is our pg!!! Now that doesn't mean I have given up on Love, he just has so much to learn about playing the position. I hope we see a terrific two headed monster at the point next season. Love as starter and Davis as the trusted backup. I hope then that Davis gets the chance to lead this team until Dillingham (Huge crush) becomes a Tar Heel.😀

Reactions: IDUNK4HEELS
Davis had a great game, seems to play more under control and generally makes better decisions than Love as a point guard. Love has the physical attributes to be a pro(regardless of his propensity for multiple turnovers in short stretches) and if he can string together 8/10 games of hitting a decent percentage of shots could easily be one and done(even if he's still turning it over).

I see it that Roy has to play Love because of his recruiting profile status as a potential one and done. To me, Davis is a better point guard right now. When Roy made the decision to start one over the other, there was no way Davis was going to get the nod. Love is and will be given every opportunity to lead this team to the season end.

IMO, the young players who are improving have a better understanding of where to be in this system and where their teammates are likely to be. Walton, Davis, and Kessler display these qualities. Love and Sharpe are slower to get to their level(it will come).

Carolina is not lacking in talent. If one wish could be granted, it would be Caleb Loves improving his play at point guard. Its been a difficult road. And thats probably not happening next game and based on his progression, not this year.
Good post, spot on with EVERYTHING.

Reactions: TheGLOV

How the *BLEEP* can you win shooting 38% with 21 turnovers?

Make 27-30 free throws!

Not sure how we did that, but PLEASE keep it up Heels.
Love is also the only guy we have that is asked to create when the shot clock is winding down. He is not great at it, but much better then what RJ or anyone else on this roster is capable of. It is a vital component, and people often judge the shot selection without recognizing the need to penatrate and get something up on the rim for our bigs to crash the boards.

One thing I noticed about Love yesterday and I don’t generally notice about RJ - Love has some need, some habit of screwing around on the dribble between his legs incessantly - with zero value added - and high probability of turning it over.

Maybe he thinks this is super impressive flash or sizzle that wows NBA scouts or his coaches, or intimidates opponents. It doesn’t. It’s pure garbage. Just annoying.

But it’s ingrained in him. He can’t just turn it off. Maybe if he comes back, he can play against some NBA Heels over the summer who can show him and tell him what’s up - how that garbage doesn’t fly at all at NBA or college level.

Waaaaay back in the day, at Dick DeVenzio's Basketball Camp, he used to call that a pee dribble. He said "if you dribble in the area where you can take a pee, it's a wasted dribble because you aren't going anywhere." I remember we (the campers) got such a kick out of that, but I was just 11 or 12 at the time.

Love is our PG and Davis is our backup PG. They both have a lot of room for improvement and both are improving. For every turnover we see from Caleb, we see a defensive misstep from RJ so it balances. I would never play them together, but I would also not replace Caleb with RJ!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT