ADVERTISEMENT

Davis Says More Extended Pressure Is Coming

This is an excellent development! it shows our coach can adjust on the fly based on film study and changes in personnel. If extending the D does spark more aggressive play, especially early in games, the Tar Heels should soar again! Doesn't hurt that Washington is a mobile big who is finally rounding into game readiness!

This is an excellent development! it shows our coach can adjust on the fly based on film study and changes in personnel. If extending the D does spark more aggressive play, especially early in games, the Tar Heels should soar again! Doesn't hurt that Washington is a mobile big who is finally rounding into game readiness!

Agree, and it will force more activity and involvement from the bench.

Yup. It could be the precursor to us coming at peeps in waves like I thought we would this season. We have the athletic and interchangeable bodies to wear folks down but they have to demonstrate the will and toughness to earn their opportunities! Hopefully, Bacot will see what it takes from the bench; Caleb/RJ will learn from the feelings in last game; peeps like Puff, Nickel, and Seth will find a niche; and peeps like Washington, Styles, McKoy, and Dunn will either get healthy enough OR grow enough to really participate!

In all honesty, this aspect should be a no-brainer. While I would have liked it to have come from Hubert's mentor whispering in his ear from above, as opposed to player feedback, this roster is actually tailor-made to scramble. And you are right that it should inspire more bench usage.

Now... if we can just return to an actual Secondary Break and sound offensive system...

In Hubs speak, he might just be giving the players credit to bolster their egos! I'm positive, this is not a revelation he needed the team to reveal to him. I have no idea why he hasn't fully implemented the multiple Ds, but I am inclined to believe he just didn't see enough from the players to trust it. Keep in mind, if 3 peeps are scrambling according to our scheme and 1-2 are off by a step or simply don't put in the effort it just opens up very easy baskets for opponents. If you don't have all 5 operating as one, it is better to stay in a traditional scheme!

I'm 100% onboard for a return to more Secondary and much better offensive efficiency!

While I LOVE the notion of more trapping and pressure, it really depends on who the players pulling off the traps and pressure are. Say that because it does require some patience and good decision making as to when to and when not to spring such things. Not all our players make the best decisions consistently, for example telegraphing a trap can be will hurt you way more than help. From what I see Nickel, Trimble, Puff, and Leaky are especially good at bringing pressure and traps and actually nance is not bad at it when he is involved in a trap. But those fellas not involved with the trap have to rotate in to the passing lanes and hawk them double hard or you give up a lay up.

How about secure the rebound, Play defense period. making some shots would help. Once you get a team's attention your coaching should be employed based on the situation and circumstances of the game.

A coherent message to a team that is struggling with shooting is paramount. Their offense has been wondering in the desert trying to find its way. and coaching is a large part of that wondering, because they have been doing it to. Its good they have no choice but to utilize the bench. Thats the key to this team, Focus and confidence. The coaching and the starters are a work in progress. The more pressure they're under the better.

They're being forced to rely on each other. A second-year coach and staff and discombobulation. They need this and they need to get out of their heads that there is some easy game in the future. They have the opportunity to be great. This team and coaching staff are like a ball of clay, you won't know what you have until you know who you are. I love being a ball of clay. Hubert just needs to know when to touch it.

This is a somewhat quite team. but we saw a little bark last game. The bark is who cares enough to take accountability for you brother. if you see it say it "pick left" "pick right" The sooner the better. best make the mistakes communicating now. How else can anyone count on you? Confidence and defense.

Let's Go heels

In Hubs speak, he might just be giving the players credit to bolster their egos! I'm positive, this is not a revelation he needed the team to reveal to him. I have no idea why he hasn't fully implemented the multiple Ds, but I am inclined to believe he just didn't see enough from the players to trust it. Keep in mind, if 3 peeps are scrambling according to our scheme and 1-2 are off by a step or simply don't put in the effort it just opens up very easy baskets for opponents. If you don't have all 5 operating as one, it is better to stay in a traditional scheme!

I'm 100% onboard for a return to more Secondary and much better offensive efficiency!
Oh, I can answer that TP, they were not good at playing their base defense, installing a extension build off base defense when you are not good at base defense is kind crazy. That to me is why the personal groupings is important when we go to pressure and traps. RJ and Caleb, as you can tell from some of my other posts just are not great decision makers (at very least in my sincere opinion), including them in a defense that requires them to make even more decisions is a concern to me.

Now it got to the point last season we had the automatic answer as to why we didn't run our breaks or apply a lot of pressure, we were Iron 5 and had to protect those guys legs, that reasoning should not be there now even if Bacot and Dunn are out for an extended period. There is and should not be any reason now that we do not run our primary or secondary breaks or do not apply changing pressures on the defensive end. We should be able to run a solid 8 deep now even without Bacot (Washington will very quickly join our solid rotation now that he is full go). If we can get back to our UNC running game with the primary and secondary breaks now then we are never going to be able to. We just have to get our guards to pass the ball ahead north and south rather than east or west.

• Love
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT