ADVERTISEMENT

DawgNation on Chizik

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
He's having fun coaching again.

Best quote: Here’s the thing for me now: Every decision I make from here on out, because of where I am in my career and my life, is going to be a quality-of-life decision,” said Chizik, who has a son and twin daughters with wife Jonna. “It’s not going to be about money. It’s not going to be about climbing the ladder. It’s going to be about me presenting myself and my family with a situation that’s fun, that I enjoy. I don’t have to do this and I’m blessed to be in that position. I choose to do it. When I’m not happy and I feel like I’m at the end, I’ll ride off into the sunset.”

And living in Chapel Hill is a fine quality of life.

He's having fun coaching again.

Best quote: Here’s the thing for me now: Every decision I make from here on out, because of where I am in my career and my life, is going to be a quality-of-life decision,” said Chizik, who has a son and twin daughters with wife Jonna. “It’s not going to be about money. It’s not going to be about climbing the ladder. It’s going to be about me presenting myself and my family with a situation that’s fun, that I enjoy. I don’t have to do this and I’m blessed to be in that position. I choose to do it. When I’m not happy and I feel like I’m at the end, I’ll ride off into the sunset.”

And living in Chapel Hill is a fine quality of life.
I just hope he is serious about that and not just being diplomatic. If the D takes another big leap this year I'm sure he'll be getting some calls.

Another quote that stuck out to me: “Whenever he walks in the room, you know you have to lock in and focus and get serious,” said Mikey Bart, a senior defensive end from Buford. “… People didn’t respect (the previous defensive coordinator) like they do Coach Chizik and didn’t want to play for him. We want to play for Coach Chizik. He gets a bunch of respect. Coach Chizik is definitely working out.”

That's definitely telling right there.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I just hope he is serious about that and not just being diplomatic. If the D takes another big leap this year I'm sure he'll be getting some calls.

Another quote that stuck out to me: “Whenever he walks in the room, you know you have to lock in and focus and get serious,” said Mikey Bart, a senior defensive end from Buford. “… People didn’t respect (the previous defensive coordinator) like they do Coach Chizik and didn’t want to play for him. We want to play for Coach Chizik. He gets a bunch of respect. Coach Chizik is definitely working out.”

It certainly is. Koenning and that D staff simply had no control over the players because the players had no respect for them or fear of them. And that second is needed for the most hard-headed and arrogant players, as wall as any that are just mean at their core. They must fear being benched, permanently. They must fear being dropped from their scholarship.

Reactions: tarheel0910

Very telling indeed! If players don't have ultimate respect for, and as Woad aptly pointed out, a little fear of the staff, then you aren't going to get the best effort/results from them.

With our losses to graduation, our lack of depth at key positions, and our tougher schedule, I don't know that it's reasonable to expect a big improvement in our defensive numbers. But I foresee us continuing to become more fundamentally sound, becoming more familiar with the defensive schemes, and playing with a greater sense of unity and urgency.

Now if we can just find some nasty DE's/DT's/LB's out there who want to be part of the football resurgence in Chapel Hill, I think we'll be fine. Can't wait for the opener.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT