ADVERTISEMENT

Is this your favorite UNC team?

Quest4Seven

Junior
Feb 25, 2019
I gotta say it might be mine

Im 30 so I was spoiled by the Roy era most of my life. But this team is different

would not even be the 10th most talented UNC team in my lifetime, but its like this team was put together in Dean Smith’s vision

No egos, no selfishness, everyone plays their role, and everyone wants to win above all else, and more importantly everyone knows if they dont give 100 everytime theyre on the court they wont play

I like this team a lot, but you have to go a long way to beat out the 1982 and 2009 teams, in my mind.

There are several others I might put ahead of it. Most of the Hansbrough era. A couple of the Phil Ford teams. Maybe the Lewis and Miller teams. A couple other championship teams.

I was also rather fond of the 1971 NIT champs. Back in the day when only the ACCT tournament winner got to the NCAAT (we lost to S.Carolina by 1 point in the ACCT finals).

Last edited:
The 82 team is my all-time favorite, for many, obvious reasons. Hard to top that due to so many more unique, little things for me, personally.

But, this has been the best overall team, and season, since the 2017 team. I really enjoyed the 22 team for those 4 weeks of March.

This group has been the best team of the Davis era.

Championship teams aside, the 2022 team's run was the most exciting one I can remember. This team is a composite of that team. I hope they can finish the job...

Championship teams aside, the 2022 team's run was the most exciting one I can remember. This team is a composite of that team. I hope they can finish the job...
That 22 team's run raised the bar and expectations for Hubert pretty fast. No one saw it coming. It was, in a way, the closest thing to a Cinderella experience that UNC fans will ever be able to know.

For me, that was the championship game. It made the loss to Kansas inconsequential. Beating Kansas wouldn't be as good as beating the dookies in the FF and Ks final game.
While I agree, it sure would've been great to "steal" an unexpected natty to make up for the ones that got away... '77, '84, '98, '12, '16.

2016 was one of my favorites. Bunch of guys who we watched grow during their UNC careers. I was a big Meeks fan. Loved how he got better every year. Paige, JJack, Bryce, Isiah, Joel, Luke and of course press conference crashing Theo Pinson. Seems like we knew them better than some of the other favorites of mine due to the internet. Shame they lost to Nova.

98 comes close. Antawn is my favorite Heel. Cota and Vince. Coach Gut in I believe his first year has head coach.

2012 team with Butter getting hurt at the end was fun to watch.

Last edited:
While I agree, it sure would've been great to "steal" an unexpected natty to make up for the ones that got away... '77, '84, '98, '12, '16.
Omg! I still have PTSD from those years along with 22. The only reason I throw 22 in there is because we had Kansas and we should have learned from earlier in the tournament against Baylor about letting a big lead slip away. But 22 was an amazing ride because Coach K could never of envisioned such a nightmare finish against our Heels! I also loved the 06 Team in which we were not expected to do much if anything and we finished 12-4 in conference and we ruined dook’s Senior night with Reddick and S. Williams. Great times! We should have 2 more chips at minimum and kensucky should have 2 less with the 98 and 12 teams.

Super hard to pick a favorite. The way the guys on this team ALL play hard, smart, together - they’re hard to top as favorites.

For sure the 82 team was great. First Heels team I watched that got me introduced as a UNC fan.

And the 93 team especially with taking out the overhyped fab 5 - with greats montross and snake Williams who was maybe the smoothest looking shooter ever for the heels.

Then I saw the 200 heels in person in the final four games including against Illinois in a crazy hostile road game against Illinois. Sean May - Felton - McCants - Marvin Williams off the bench !!’ What a great team!

And I just think the 2009 team was most talented Heels team I ever saw. They lost some games but nobody was close to them talent wise

I agree with what other people have said here. For some other teams it is a deep regret that great players representing the Heels for many years left without a title it seems they deserved: Marcus Paige Brice johnson Kendall Marshall John Henson. And of course antawn, shammond, Carter sheed cota.

It's hard for me to declare a favorite team, but I would take 2009 if I had to pick one. Mainly because I admire the core group for coming back after the Kansas loss in 2008, and more importantly I was at Ford Field to watch them cut down the nets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heelicious
Omg! I still have PTSD from those years along with 22. The only reason I throw 22 in there is because we had Kansas and we should have learned from earlier in the tournament against Baylor about letting a big lead slip away. But 22 was an amazing ride because Coach K could never of envisioned such a nightmare finish against our Heels! I also loved the 06 Team in which we were not expected to do much if anything and we finished 12-4 in conference and we ruined dook’s Senior night with Reddick and S. Williams. Great times! We should have 2 more chips at minimum and kensucky should have 2 less with the 98 and 12 teams.
I said earlier this season that these guys are on the verge of cracking my personal top-3, right behind my 2017 dogs --- JB and the Redemption Crew.

With that said, 77 is and will always be my favorite (and that Final loss still hurts the most), and lemme tell ya, when Tommy was still with them and Phil was healthy, there has NEVER been a better team here --- just look in the rafters --- 4 NBA 1st-rounders, 2 NBA ROYs, 3 Olympic Gold Medalists.

The 1996/1997 Tar Heels are by far my favorite

Starting Five:
Jeff McInnis (Sr)
Vince Carter (So)
Antawn Jamison (So)
Jerry Stackhouse (Sr)
Rasheed Wallace (Sr)
Bench:
Ed Cota (Fr)
Shammond Williams (Jr)
Ademola Okulaja (So)
Serge Zwikker (Sr)

Dean Smith’s last year

No, it didn’t happen, but this was the greatest team that could have been

I like this team a lot, but you have to go a long way to beat out the 1982 and 2009 teams, in my mind.

There are several others I might put ahead of it. Most of the Hansbrough era. A couple of the Phil Ford teams. Maybe the Lewis and Miller teams. A couple other championship teams.

I was also rather fond of the 1971 NIT champs. Back in the day when only the ACCT tournament winner got to the NCAAT (we lost to S.Carolina by 1 point in the ACCT finals).

1976-77. If that team had not been so badly injured during post-season, it would have won the NCAA. And they all were ideal teammates.

Reactions: vbrs and gary-7
It’s so hard to pick a favorite, but the Hansbrough years and our ownership of dook throughout that era which
culminated with a 2009 title would be choice #1, followed by 1982’s title for DES. 22’s sticking it to ratface
twice is quite satisfying in so many measures.
The 2024 team is so much fun to watch for their defensive intensity and multiplicity of scorers. 🤞🏽
Pretty much always a GDTBATH

It will always be the 2009 team for me. There will never be another Hansbrough and then when you factor in how dynamic Lawson was as a one-man fast break. I don’t think there has been a more dominant tournament team in the last 25 years.

I certainly love this team and their obvious commitment to each other. But with the portal and recommit potential as well as nil essentially looking a lot like nfl free agency this team (like all the competition) will be quite different next year so appreciate these guys now.

2009 is my favorite team. Ty Lawson absolutely balled out to close the season and what a joy it was to watch Ellington’s jumper…. was an absolute thing of beauty. I remember Hansbrough NEVER passing out of the post! That team was special.

16 and 17 are favorites, as is this years team. Love seeing the chemistry and togetherness. And the grit! So glad to see everyone fully buying in and playing great defense. Grateful to have a shot and still be dancing.

2009 is my favorite team. Ty Lawson absolutely balled out to close the season and what a joy it was to watch Ellington’s jumper…. was an absolute thing of beauty. I remember Hansbrough NEVER passing out of the post! That team was special.

16 and 17 are favorites, as is this years team. Love seeing the chemistry and togetherness. And the grit! So glad to see everyone fully buying in and playing great defense. Grateful to have a shot and still be dancing.
If TH had ever learned to pass out of the double team he could have averaged a triple double lol.

Reactions: John_Mexico
This team is up there but still no cigar.

For me it's probably '77 (devastated by injuries but never quit), '93 (possibly the ideal team Coach Smith could have, no dominant nba talent but a great college team), '84 (again injuries, when they were healthy, damn), '09 (absolutely destroyed teams with the up tempo pace) and '97 (just unbelievable talent) as top 5.

With all due respect to you young bucks, my favorite team will always be the 1957 undefeated national champs. They snatched victory from the jaws of defeat more than once, and won two triple-overtime games in the final four, including beating the team with the then "giant" Wilt Chamberlain. They were something!

My favorite teams are the ones that won it all.

I have my sentimental favorite teams, but the ones I remember and recollect the most about are the ones that were the last team standing.

The 1996/1997 Tar Heels are by far my favorite

Starting Five:
Jeff McInnis (Sr)
Vince Carter (So)
Antawn Jamison (So)
Jerry Stackhouse (Sr)
Rasheed Wallace (Sr)
Bench:
Ed Cota (Fr)
Shammond Williams (Jr)
Ademola Okulaja (So)
Serge Zwikker (Sr)

Dean Smith’s last year

No, it didn’t happen, but this was the greatest team that could have been

27 years ago, Arizona ended Dean Smith’s career in the Final 4. We can pay that back in the Elite 8 this year.

I loved the 93 team. Just a bunch of blue-collar dudes that epitomized TEAM! 94 could have been special with a healthy Phelps too. Loved the Jamison/Carter teams of 97 and 98. Wish 97 could have gotten over the hump and gotten Coach Smith one more Title. 05 was awesome just to see Coach Williams get his first. 09 was fun because they were so dominant. 12 and 16 will never not sting. I hurt for Brice, but especially Marcus in 16. Marcus deserved a Natty.

I gotta say it might be mine

Im 30 so I was spoiled by the Roy era most of my life. But this team is different

would not even be the 10th most talented UNC team in my lifetime, but its like this team was put together in Dean Smith’s vision

No egos, no selfishness, everyone plays their role, and everyone wants to win above all else, and more importantly everyone knows if they dont give 100 everytime theyre on the court they wont play
I really like the character of this team, but it would be hard to say I love them more than 2009. That team just didn't disappoint much, even though ANYTHING LESS than a National championship would have been a disappointment.
That pressure didn't even make them bat an eye.
LEGENDARY 😎

98 team was the most exciting team ever, but 2009 is my favorite because they finished the job.

Reactions: Heels5150
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT