ADVERTISEMENT

Debbie meets with the NCAA 5/10 and........

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
according to her lawyer the meeting went "very well" It is an article on TOS so I cannot and will not link.
Suffice to say Debbie laid a smack down on the hacks at the NCAA. I DEARLY hope they try and throw the book at us cause they will LOSE their ass in court. Her testimony continues to shred their "case" a "case" that has been a series of lies, mischaracterizations, and smears from hacks like Kone and the rest of the lazy media

Stinkey may try and move forward, he is tool for the SEC/KY crowd

let me quote a great American, Clint Eastwood, who once famously said ... "Go ahead, Make my day. "

The only thing the NCAA can do to UNC is what they have been doing. They can drag this out knowing that just having the lies out there will continue to hurt our beloved U!

Those idiots and the other fanbase ignoramuses that have enjoyed this witch-hunt will soon be eating their own words and be left with wallowing in their sorry excuses for lives!

Once again The Tar Heel Way wins!

There will be no further delays, and the case will be heard on schedule,” Sankey wrote
guess he trying to speed up now

according to her lawyer the meeting went "very well" It is an article on TOS so I cannot and will not link.
Suffice to say Debbie laid a smack down on the hacks at the NCAA. I DEARLY hope they try and throw the book at us cause they will LOSE their ass in court. Her testimony continues to shred their "case" a "case" that has been a series of lies, mischaracterizations, and smears from hacks like Kone and the rest of the lazy media

Stinkey may try and move forward, he is tool for the SEC/KY crowd

let me quote a great American, Clint Eastwood, who once famously said ... "Go ahead, Make my day. "
Also - " a man's gotta know his limitations!"

Reactions: Archer2
At this point you fight to the bitter end! If they insist, it might just be the end of the NCAA. The Power 5 don't need them anyway, so they might want to back up just a bit.

I don't think even UNC is above some misconduct, but dang after this long your telling me there is nothing more than we already knew.

OAD wise we are getting killed because Roy better be preaching all education on these visits to get guys to play basketball. No OAD player wants to hear to much about education, all they want to know is how long they are obligated to go to class. They want to know there is a nice easy course load (I'm telling the truth).

Roy can't even imply that a kid could take Art appreciation, or domestic living! NCAA needs to find some fault or clear us.

So what happens now that UNC has to respond to the NCAA? What exactly do they do? Are they suppose to say guilty/not guilty or what exactly?

The COI goes through each point, like elements of a crime, and of the five 3 go away almost immediately, then they look at the prof and Debbie...I understand that they slipped back in the football and basketball issues deep in the 3rd Notice, does the ncaa really want to do battle with an admission of "we couldn't get it right" so we amended it....besides the fact they do not police academics...courses were open to the entire student body...and they haven't ever looked at the great number of Universities that offer classes by and for athletes, designed by the Athletic Departments and taught by the athletic department.
The NCAA needs to be made an example of corruption.

Basketball, Football, and baseball. In the end if you needed to punish a University those are the only three sports anybody remotely cares about. Since this has begun the football team has gotten a great head coach and #1 draft pick, basketball national champions and baseball is ranked #2 in nation.

I will go on record and say if all three of these sports had bombed over the last three years the NCAA would have felt they did what they wanted and UNC would be cleared.

NCAA is dragging this on simply to try to hurt UNC athletics! Unfortunately for them UNC keeps on winning, so the the investigation continues.

After awhile if this continues the Courts have got to step in. Again I have always said, "UNC is not above misconduct", but fair is fair, and all these years of same crap is not fair.

Reactions: Archer2
The NCAA is in an untenable position. The only thing they have on their side is ABC 'ers.

And really, all UNC has on their side are UNC fans! (and facts but no one has or will look at facts!)

More ABCers than UNC fans!

Agree with the poster that said if we had struggled in the last 5 years then this would have been over by now. But truth is we have rallied the troops and fought tooth and nail to win and win big. I applaud our coaching staffs and young men for their perseverance.

Hopefully, but not the NCAA or the COI! I'm still not sold it will be taken to court!

I'm not an expert here, but I'm pretty sure the NCAA has zero jurisdiction in academic matters. In all (9?) investigations, none of them have yet proven how this is an athletic matter. There's no evidence that any Athletic Personnel mandated these courses.

What's even funnier is the sloppy narrative of the 3 NOAs:

NCAA: It's been 10 months. Here's your NOA
UNC: Here's some more on Men's Soccer and W Basketball
NCAA: Cool. Thanks for being cooperative. Here's your 2nd NOA, we've retracted the allegations against Men's Basketball and Football because we can't do anything about that.
UNC: Actually, we don't think you have any authority in this matter
NCAA: Nice try but no.
*Sankey Joins the frey*
(Sankey)NCAA: Wait nevermind. Here's a 3rd, more harsh NOA, based on information we originally chose not to honor.

If the Sankey Squad decides to overstep their boundaries and hand down heavy sanctions (even any sanctions) against M Basketball or Football, there's zero reason not to take it to court.

This will 100% end in our favor. Now how long it lasts and how it plays out is another story which is where the issue is. Bilas has hammered this point home a million times. The NCAA has clearly defined bylaws. Because of this, they had to punt on a few things that are outside of their clearly defined jurisdiction/ box (academic courses) within this investigation. Now that they've got this new yahoo leading the charge he's tried to come back. Bottom line you can't play by a different set of rules and enforce things that aren't covered in your bylaws which govern how you work with your member schools. Legal 101.

Please explain to me why the Power 5 conferences couldn't break away from the NCAA. They already do all of the functions of the NCAA on a conference scale. Working together, they could just scale up the tourney, scheduling, policing, and other factors.

Please explain to me why the Power 5 conferences couldn't break away from the NCAA. They already do all of the functions of the NCAA on a conference scale. Working together, they could just scale up the tourney, scheduling, policing, and other factors.

Do the schools have contracts for TV with the NCAA? I am thinking that may be a problem. I suppose anyone could break away, but not until contracts have expired, and then conferences etc would have to try to negotiate their own contracts with television, and of course would have to have their own championships. IMO it would take a massive number of schools ready to make the jump all at once to have a real chance of working out well.

Or I may be 1,000,000 miles off base here.

Because you end up with the NCAA part 2!

As long as money is involved your going to have corruption, as long as people want to pretend the term "Student Athlete" means your a student first there will be corruption. I don't have all the answers (wish I did), but the problem seems to be we expect a person to train to be a professional athlete (full time job), and expect them to be a full-time student. Since NCAA and the schools are making crazy money to win, maybe we could count practice time as an unaccredited class that counts toward full time student hrs.

B1G, SEC, and ACC have their own networks currently so they have negotiated TV contracts. Texas has its own network separate from the NCAA and conference. All of these conferences also have their own championship tourneys so the expertise is there. The power 5 conferences bring in the most money and deliver the largest TV ratings so there would be no reduction in popularity. At the least, the NCAA will have to listen and adjust based on the threat of them leaving!

Because the NCAA runs all the championships as well as doing all the administrative and policing work. The NCAA does everything.

The Power 5 would have to pay to establish their own rules/admin organization -- i.e. establish their own version of an NCAA -- which cost a lot of $$$$ and be a huge headache.

Thus, the Power 5 schools want to use the already-entrenched NCAA; they just want to bend and shape the NCAA at times to more align with what they want. But they don't want it to disappear.

I agree that they wouldn't choose this option, but the NCAA's arbitrary and inconsistent application of its own rules may force them to make the threat! My only point is that the THREAT is real. Conferences do everything the NCAA does and could easily band together to handle the administrative pieces. They also would not have to create the organization from scratch since they have access to the original formation of the NCAA, which was done using conference representatives in the first place!

Your final point is spot on in my opinion! The NCAA will have to adjust or lose everything!

Because the NCAA runs all the championships as well as doing all the administrative and policing work. The NCAA does everything.

The Power 5 would have to pay to establish their own rules/admin organization -- i.e. establish their own version of an NCAA -- which cost a lot of $$$$ and be a huge headache.
All of that is already done at a conference level, so it wouldn't take that much work to expand it to a national level. You are also assuming that the policing and administrative work would be the same. There will be far less of that if they break off. You know all of those restrictions won't be in place if they leave. The NCAA basketball tournament TV contract is worth more than $1 billion a year. The football playoff contract is almost $500 million a year. I'm betting they would be willing to put up with the headache to get that kind of money if it comes to that point.

All of that is already done at a conference level, so it wouldn't take that much work to expand it to a national level. You are also assuming that the policing and administrative work would be the same. There will be far less of that if they break off. You know all of those restrictions won't be in place if they leave. The NCAA basketball tournament TV contract is worth more than $1 billion a year. The football playoff contract is almost $500 million a year. I'm betting they would be willing to put up with the headache to get that kind of money if it comes to that point.
Right but the power 5 conferences aren't going to pull out of the NCAA because UNC got punished. IMO there will be more of an outcry from the power 5 teams if UNC isn't punished. Not saying they're right but there are a lot of fans of other schools who just assume UNC cheated that are going to lose their minds if nothing happens. Either way I think the corrupt NCAA is here to stay, making billions off of "student-athletes."

Right but the power 5 conferences aren't going to pull out of the NCAA because UNC got punished. IMO there will be more of an outcry from the power 5 teams if UNC isn't punished. Not saying they're right but there are a lot of fans of other schools who just assume UNC cheated that are going to lose their minds if nothing happens. Either way I think the corrupt NCAA is here to stay, making billions off of "student-athletes."
Right, the fans of other schools will whine. The PTBs at other schools won't say anything lest their own departments and clustering get investigated.

Reactions: tw3301
I'm not saying it will happen because UNC gets punished. I think it's going to be an accumulation of many things that have happened for a long time now. I also don't think a resolution to the case is coming from the NCAA either. In my opinion this thing is going to go to court and if UNC were to win, then that will be what the other schools use to break away or reduce the power of the NCAA to a point where they are basically powerless. No matter what happens, I think you are going to see a fundamental shift in the power and/or make up of the NCAA. I don't think that's a bad thing either.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and tw3301
superstar57 you're incorrect in your statement:
"but the problem seems to be we expect a person to train to be a professional athlete (full time job), and expect them to be a full-time student".
They do not rain as "professional" athletes but as student/athletes. If you think pro athletes train every day and all day you are mistaken, they have gobs of down time. Same with the kids at UNC, they "train" but as allowed by NCAA and University guidelines.

I will wait patiently for the UNC group to present at the COI in August. Perhaps the NCAA will figure out Emmert's 2 mil salary is a gross overpayment and his little slimy buddy, Greg Sankey, needs to learn the NCAA are not academic police, hence see paragraph that follows.

I would love for the NCAA to go digging into the numerous schools that have curriculum outlined by athletic departments, taught by athletics instructors, and not available to other students, athletes only. But they do not.

superstar57 you're incorrect in your statement:
"but the problem seems to be we expect a person to train to be a professional athlete (full time job), and expect them to be a full-time student".
They do not rain as "professional" athletes but as student/athletes. If you think pro athletes train every day and all day you are mistaken, they have gobs of down time. Same with the kids at UNC, they "train" but as allowed by NCAA and University guidelines.

I will wait patiently for the UNC group to present at the COI in August. Perhaps the NCAA will figure out Emmert's 2 mil salary is a gross overpayment and his little slimy buddy, Greg Sankey, needs to learn the NCAA are not academic police, hence see paragraph that follows.

I would love for the NCAA to go digging into the numerous schools that have curriculum outlined by athletic departments, taught by athletics instructors, and not available to other students, athletes only. But they do not.

So am I wrong about there training being a full-time job? I get what your saying the NCAA regulates the hours (I agree totally). Guys are in the gym training and lifting and running and watching film on there own (supposedly). I don't know one coach that would tell a kid don't work out anymore than what the NCAA allows for practice. These summer teams pro ams when I was in school are usually nothing but extra training lead by current pros and have on there team current college players from there university. Do you really think college players are not being pressured to train with these guys.

I love that people think that MJ,Vince Carter or any of our favorite Tarheels just woke up one day and was that much better than everybody else. To be the best at "ANYTHING" (including being best student) you are putting in extra hours beyond the norm.

No pro athletes don't train everyday, they are usually encouraged to rest there body, but typical day for an up and coming college player. Wake up 5am go running. go to class. go to film session. eat. go practice with team. class. off the record more practice (scrimmage with the boys). Study hall. Go back to the gym to work on personal game. sleep and do it again. Feels like a full-time job training to me. Seen that show for 5 years bro, from different athletes from different sports (some made pro, and most didn't). The ones that made it PRO generally spent more time in the gym.

Reactions: tw3301
Your description does not describe the daily routine for our kids in season, at all. Best check with Roy and staff on that issue. But do continue, entertainment is a gift.

The Power 5 might pull out because of the NCAA trying to punish UNC. Clearly the membership of the NCAA does NOT want the NCAA to set the precedent that they can police academics, especially they don't want them to decide what rigor looks like!

Universities must set their own academic standards and they must police the academic side of things themselves! The NCAA has neither the expertise or man power to do these things.

Your description does not describe the daily routine for our kids in season, at all. Best check with Roy and staff on that issue. But do continue, entertainment is a gift.

Nah, your right. Nobody is putting in the extra work. yawn

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT