ADVERTISEMENT

Defense

ChiShankCity

Hall of Famer
Apr 2, 2005
If the strategy is.... "I'd rather give up long range shots than close range shots", that has to change. It's a small sample, but up to this point we're allowing about 46% of opponents FGA to be 3PA. In today's basketball, this is just the wrong way to strategically attack an offense.

The fact we allowed 28 3 point attempts to UNI is a big worrying sign. Against a team we have so much more size than, the strategy needs to change. You have to invite 2 point shots and force smaller teams to make shots inside the 3 point line. And that's not just against smaller teams.

Especially because we probably won't outshoot teams, we have to stop allowing 3 point attempts. If teams want to shoot 2s vs 2s against us, we'll win those games because we probably have superior big guys. We don't have superior guards with or without Paige.

Most know, I'm not a huge believer in this core. I think they're elite 8 good, but don't see a championship team.... But the coaching strategy has to change. We're already behind the evolution of basketball of positionless/3 point shooting/ball movement. We're trying to win a more "traditional" style of 2 post ups, a baseline wing, a shooting guard who is not a perimeter threat and a good PG. IMO, that's already fighting an uphill battle offensively but we may be talented enough to overcome it. But the defensive strategy needs to change. Until we realize that teams probably won't beat us in a 2 point shooting contest, but surely can beat us taking a ton of 3's... We're not going to be as good as people expected us to be.

Reactions: ltrogdon
Well, it'd help if our coach realized this ain't the 1990's. He's coaching the same way he did 20 years ago which is to help on the driver and give up open 3 after open 3. That was fine 20 years ago but today kids hit 3's like there free throws.

Well, the strategy isn't going to change. The bigger key IMO is dribble penetration. There was no need to be so close to Washpun. If you want to give someone a long shot I would rather it be him than the other guys. Plus, that takes away his drive. Instead we press him and get burnt repeatedly. Still, that isn't changing either. Without Paige our guards are just ok. I know people are high on Berry and I get that. I like him a lot. Still, he isn't good enough yet to offset not having Paige. The offense looked average, as it usually will without Marcus. Also, the Hicks/Johnson combinatin should never play together. They are epicly bad defensively together.

If Roy didn't get the message today about buckling down on the 3-point shot he will never get it. I am normally not that critical of the team , but the overall defensive effort by the team today was pathetic. This loss is on Roy. I can understand the great performance by the point guard Wasdin, but there is no way the Heels should allow the wide-open 3-point shots over and over again. The Heels just can't afford to lose another game before the end of the year.

I don't want us to ever lose but I can tell you that we will lose more games this year. Whether we can afford to or not is up for discussion.

If Roy didn't get the message today about buckling down on the 3-point shot he will never get it. I am normally not that critical of the team , but the overall defensive effort by the team today was pathetic. This loss is on Roy. I can understand the great performance by the point guard Wasdin, but there is no way the Heels should allow the wide-open 3-point shots over and over again. The Heels just can't afford to lose another game before the end of the year.
Why can't we lose again???

I guess people want us to let the opponent get wide open lay ups since it's only worth 2 points!!!!

I don't want us to ever lose but I can tell you that we will lose more games this year. Whether we can afford to or not is up for discussion.

I agree that the Heels will lose more games this year, but if they expect to stay in the top ten before the ACC starts they can't afford to lose another game this early in the season. They will fall out of the top ten and it will be an uphill battle to get a #1 seed the rest of the way.

"The Heels just can't afford to lose another game before the end of the year"--Jesus...hahahaha..I can barely type..its fricken Nov

Reactions: Archer2
Well, the strategy isn't going to change. The bigger key IMO is dribble penetration. There was no need to be so close to Washpun. If you want to give someone a long shot I would rather it be him than the other guys. Plus, that takes away his drive. Instead we press him and get burnt repeatedly. Still, that isn't changing either. Without Paige our guards are just ok. I know people are high on Berry and I get that. I like him a lot. Still, he isn't good enough yet to offset not having Paige. The offense looked average, as it usually will without Marcus. Also, the Hicks/Johnson combinatin should never play together. They are epicly bad defensively together.
If the strategy doesn't change, then this is going to happen commonly this season. I don't think the dribble penetration D will get much better. It never has been that good with this core.
I guess people want us to let the opponent get wide open lay ups since it's only worth 2 points!!!!
Yep... That's exactly what I want!!!

If the strategy doesn't change, then this is going to happen commonly this season. I don't think the dribble penetration D will get much better. It never has been that good with this core.

Yep... That's exactly what I want!!!

I don't know how common it will be. There aren't many teams that are so drastic playing that way. Our defensive strategy fit rights in with what they want to do.

I think you can help but this team just don't do it well. Some UNC teams have done it well.

"The Heels just can't afford to lose another game before the end of the year"--Jesus...hahahaha..I can barely type..its fricken Nov

I think he meant the actual year, like 2015. I assume he was saying in order to be in contention for a 1 seed we need to win the rest going into conference play.

I think he meant the actual year, like 2015. I assume he was saying in order to be in contention for a 1 seed we need to win the rest going into conference play.

Cory, you correct. I wouldn't be as vocal if I knew that our team would be better next year. On the surface, it will not. This year will probably be our last shot at a title for a while. EVERY GAME matters and a #1 seed in the East matters. Both Kentucky and Duke will be loaded next year.
We need to do it this season!

Steat, I completely agree. This year is supposed to be our year to make a run at the title and we still might but I guarantee you we won't get past the sweet 16 playing Matador defense like we saw today. With losses like this, it makes the remaining games that much more critical because the #1 seed in the East is crucial. Sadly, it'll be several years before we have another title contender which makes this season so important IMO.

If the strategy is.... "I'd rather give up long range shots than close range shots", that has to change. It's a small sample, but up to this point we're allowing about 46% of opponents FGA to be 3PA. In today's basketball, this is just the wrong way to strategically attack an offense.

The fact we allowed 28 3 point attempts to UNI is a big worrying sign. Against a team we have so much more size than, the strategy needs to change. You have to invite 2 point shots and force smaller teams to make shots inside the 3 point line. And that's not just against smaller teams.

Especially because we probably won't outshoot teams, we have to stop allowing 3 point attempts. If teams want to shoot 2s vs 2s against us, we'll win those games because we probably have superior big guys. We don't have superior guards with or without Paige.

Most know, I'm not a huge believer in this core. I think they're elite 8 good, but don't see a championship team.... But the coaching strategy has to change. We're already behind the evolution of basketball of positionless/3 point shooting/ball movement. We're trying to win a more "traditional" style of 2 post ups, a baseline wing, a shooting guard who is not a perimeter threat and a good PG. IMO, that's already fighting an uphill battle offensively but we may be talented enough to overcome it. But the defensive strategy needs to change. Until we realize that teams probably won't beat us in a 2 point shooting contest, but surely can beat us taking a ton of 3's... We're not going to be as good as people expected us to be.
excellent points and conclusion. I fear your last sentence will be true.

Your posts are simply too negative to warrant reading. Criticize, criticize, then criticize some more.

Been screaming this forever! We have GREAT BIG MEN! Let them lock down the paint and for goodness sake let the others guard the perimiter! PLEASE FOR ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY!

It was a complaint against Coach Smith and it's been a point of contention amongst Heel fans since Roy returned. Our guards do tend to help down too much for my liking which leads to open three pointers. I don't think that's wise in this era. You can help down a little but you have to be close enough to recover back out to your man. The three pointer is the great equalizer in college basketball.

I didn't get to see the game. Heard the UNI coach on The Jim Rome show today. Can't believe the 'heels couldn't hold a 16 pt. 2nd half lead. Their coach mentioned hitting three 3s in about a minute to cut the lead to single digits.........my question did RW usr any of his precious time outs during this rally or just just squat and scream at the team!!???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT