ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive coach replacements thread

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
Sounds like Bateman is out. Hope I don't jinx us by starting this. But who else is gone, and who replaces them?

Softness is the perennial term, who will make our D tough?

Mike Tressel of Cincy might be interesting. Derek Mason? Iowa or Iowa st doods? There is some buzz around Travis Williams.

Last edited:
Assuming the rumors are true, we need to hit a home run with this hire. There is a ton of talent on the defense, and a lot more coming in. A better DC and a few upgrades with the position coaches could make a huge difference very quickly.

Assuming the rumors are true, we need to hit a home run with this hire. There is a ton of talent on the defense, and a lot more coming in. A better DC and a few upgrades with the position coaches could make a huge difference very quickly.
I don't see us hiring a big name at this point. It's too late in the game for that and I don't think we'll spend that much. We're going to have to find someone who's got a good pedigree and is one move away from becoming the guy. That guy from UGA looks like the type that we would go after and have a chance to get.

If our current staff (minus Bateman) is so good, shouldn't Mack just go ahead and promote our current co-DC?

Mack might not be here long, but otherwise you gotta be excited with some of the young recruits if you're a DC. Guys like Conley, Murphy, Ritzie.

At the same time, lack of experienced talent up front was part of the problem.

We lose Morrison, Tomon, maybe Tomari, Gemmel and Vohasek. So 4 or 5 starters. I don't know how much of an improvement we can expect in 2022 just by adding a better DC (and maybe a few new D coaches).

If our current staff (minus Bateman) is so good, shouldn't Mack just go ahead and promote our current co-DC?
Who said the current staff is good? This is Bly's first non-highschool coaching gig. Tommy Thigpen has often had the "recruiter" label. Bateman is the safeties/nickel guy. DL seems like the easiest position to coach. I don't know what to say about the OLB coach other than his special teams hasn't been great.

Strange timing. Can only think it was to keep defensive recruits but we know how that can go. Who hits the portal?

That's a good point. But as you know, and as most posters here should at least strongly suspect, Thigpen as co-DC is a ceremonial title. Thigpen is a recruiter, first and foremost. He is not anything close to a great position coach, and he shows no signs of being able to be a top level DC.

Throughput the past season, little rumors would escape about dissension on the D side, of 1 or 2 of the position coaches at odds with Bateman. That would explain how over multiple games we would have multiple plays in which it looked like LBs are operating under a different play call than the DL, or the CBs seem to be operating under a different play call than the Ss.

Things like that happen, repeatedly, only under 1 of 3 scenarios: it is the first year of the staff; the players are dumb and lazy; there is undermining of the DC.

Mack put together a staff that largely is about recruiting first and about his friends and former players. It's a buddy staff, with Mack as the glib-tongued host of the party.

Bateman is somewhat similar to Manny Diaz with Mack in that Texas boosters wanted Diaz and UNC boosters definitely opposed Mack's buddy Greg Robinson, with Bateman getting the offer only after Robinson was quickly sent out of Chapel Hill. Diaz never was part of the buddy network of Mack's final Texas years - he was an outsider and easily blamed for ll that was going wrong.

Bateman is not part of Mack's buddy boys, and Thigpen is, but surely even Mack is not so far gone into believing that him overseeing his BFFs must produce the best possible staff that he would trust Thigpen to make him look sharp and able to win the ACC eventually.

The huge difference between Mack and Saban is that Saban applies the same sharp, critical eye to potential assistant coaches that he does to recruits. Mack is more than happy to have himself surrounded with friends, and people beholden to him, for a coaching staff.

Strange timing. Can only think it was to keep defensive recruits but we know how that can go. Who hits the portal?
When you look at Lead Recruiters on our signees, it is Bateman far more often than most casual fans would guess possible. Bateman impresses far more recruits, their parents, their high school coaches than many think possible.

I'm not confident it will happen but I would love to see UNC shell out some cash and Mack make a big time hire here.
I think it's too late in the process for the big time hire. If you do that it needs to be done the day after the season is over, if not sooner. The big names have already been hired as HC, moved to a better situation or been given a better contract.

When you look at Lead Recruiters on our signees, it is Bateman far more often than most casual fans would guess possible. Bateman impresses far more recruits, their parents, their high school coaches than many think possible.
Well... He's gone now. Maybe they will follow him when he gets hired at a place like Gardner-Webb.

Reactions: CarolinaBlue5
I'm sure all of the big names are burning-up Jay Bateman's lines.

"Bring us that ghostly defense! We wanna be at the bottom of the lists!"

I don't see us hiring a big name at this point. It's too late in the game for that and I don't think we'll spend that much. We're going to have to find someone who's got a good pedigree and is one move away from becoming the guy. That guy from UGA looks like the type that we would go after and have a chance to get.

A big name would be great, but I'd almost be just as happy with someone like you describe. I think we've got a much better chance of finding that guy who has the coaching chops but just hasn't had the chance to prove himself as a DC. We need someone with a solid scheme who can jack up the intensity level and develop the young recruits.

Mack might not be here long, but otherwise you gotta be excited with some of the young recruits if you're a DC. Guys like Conley, Murphy, Ritzie.

At the same time, lack of experienced talent up front was part of the problem.

We lose Morrison, Tomon, maybe Tomari, Gemmel and Vohasek. So 4 or 5 starters. I don't know how much of an improvement we can expect in 2022 just by adding a better DC (and maybe a few new D coaches).

We'll lose some guys, but none of them were particularly good. And there were a lot of young guys who barely played. Gotta hope that the next DC has a better system for developing these young guys so we can start getting them in the rotation sooner.

If the new DC can get guys flying to the ball and sort out the tackling issues, then I think we could see a dramatic improvement on defense. I'm not saying we're gonna be a top 10 defense or anything like that. But I think we could still be somewhere in the 20's or 30's by next year. Which would be a dramatic improvement.

I'm excited to see some fresh blood. Gotta give Mack some credit for making one of the moves that we all felt was necessary. If we're being realistic, next year was always going to come with some growing pains. Lots of new guys taking over, including a new QB. It's the year after next when those guys have some experience, that we should have a chance at being dangerous again. That gives the new DC a year to get his system implemented, and bring in another round of Mack's recruits.

I like the idea of going after someone in the Saban coaching tree. And I'd have them try to emulate as much of what was happening at Bama as possible. How do they warm up? What do their weight lifting sessions look like? How often do they go full contact at practice? Copy all of it.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Will Muschamp
He has the hottest wife, fer shore!

Will-Muschamp-wife-Carol-Davis-Muschamp.jpg

Muschamp was Mack's Defensive Coordinator at Texas. He turned that defense around in his first year. I would say Mack is very familiar.
Didn't they have some issues with how he left? Seems like they didn't separate on the best terms.

The difference between Muschamp at Texas, and Muschamp now, is money. When at Texas he was climbing the ladder. Now because of salary, and subsequent payoffs at both UF and South Carolina, Muschamp is independently wealthy beyond his wildest dreams. He is back in Athens where he went to school. His family is happy there. And on top of that, I just don't see him being enticed to leave by a 70 yr old coach who will be on the hot seat.

I seriously doubt we would be willing to match the money that UGA could give Muschamp. Might want to move on from that one

But isn't Muschamp in a CO-dc position currently? It's possible he would enhance his future hirability if he took the full DC role at unc. It is reasonable to see our D rankings improve drastically with the recruiting classes we've had and a scheme that is a better fit for that talent. Would be a good look for him, eh?

The difference between Muschamp at Texas, and Muschamp now, is money. When at Texas he was climbing the ladder. Now because of salary, and subsequent payoffs at both UF and South Carolina, Muschamp is independently wealthy beyond his wildest dreams. He is back in Athens where he went to school. His family is happy there. And on top of that, I just don't see him being enticed to leave by a 70 yr old coach who will be on the hot seat.
Good points

But isn't Muschamp in a CO-dc position currently? It's possible he would enhance his future hirability if he took the full DC role at unc. It is reasonable to see our D rankings improve drastically with the recruiting classes we've had and a scheme that is a better fit for that talent. Would be a good look for him, eh?
Muschamp was the "coach in waiting" for Mack at Texas, but he left prematurely for a good opportunity. Probably bad blood tween muschamp and ut, but not mack. It would be funny if they tried to rekindle that here.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Muschamp was the "coach in waiting" for Mack at Texas, but he left prematurely for a good opportunity. Probably bad blood tween muschamp and ut, but not mack. It would be funny if they tried to rekindle that here.
Yeah, Muschamp could always take the UNC DC job with hopes that he finally would replace Mack this time. 😄

I was looking for how much Muschamp will be making at UGA as DC and couldn't find it. I did find his "quality control" salary which is $300k. For reference, Bateman was making $600k. So, Muschamp was making half of what Bateman was making and he wasn't even on the field. We would never be willing to go as high as UGA. Not only would we have to out bid UGA, we would also have to give Longo a raise so there wouldn't be any issues there.

Didn't they have some issues with how he left? Seems like they didn't separate on the best terms.
Muschamp was forced on Mack as DC/HC in waiting by boosters. Mack was not remotely close to thinking about retirement and was insulted by the added title. It probably was the primary reason that Mack later was hostile to Diaz even before firing him: a much younger DC hotshot that some Texas boosters clearly would have accepted as HC if they could get Mack to retire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT