ADVERTISEMENT

Dixie is Dead

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Interesting read about what it means to be a Southerner. Touches on race, immigration, politics, and of course barbeque with some interesting insights. This line struck me as especially funny:

The Late Unpleasantness also known as the Civil War, bloody textile workers' strikes and tenant-farmer revolts, that thing that happened on the Edmund Pettus Bridge - all these offer abundant evidence that Southerners are more than capable of expressing their political differences by beating the shit out each other.

Dixie is Dead

I read roughly half of it. But I actually got bored with it because I didn't really understand what the writer was trying to accomplish. If ihe's attempting to define the South, that's an exercise in futility - especially if he's thinking geographically. Defining the South by geographical region is just plain silly, IMO. Because where I come from, the South is a state of being - a way of life. It's not marked by any lines - highways like I40 or Mason-Dixon lines or anything else like that. It's a state of being - a way of life; a culture. People can be Southerners in New Hampshire. They'll probably be outsiders. But it happens. Sure, many of us in the southern states all subscribe to varying levels of this culture and I guess that's why people try to draw lines to mark the region. But again, it's not geographical. And furthermore, what's the South to me might be different than what's the South to you.

To me the South is all encompassing. It's a belief system. It's tradition. It's a condescending attitude that we're more refined than others. It's the way we say certain words. It's the meaning behind those words. It's food - the way food is prepared and the way it's eaten. It's what you're preparing and eating. It's drinking. Beer, bourbon, sweet tea (and brewed only). It's keeping your sportjacket on even when it's 94 degrees because it's the proper thing to do. It's never sitting down at the dinner table with a hat on your head because that's poor etiquette. It's talking bad about the north. It's using words like "carpetbaggers" and it's referring to the Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression. It's having to constantly explain to the misinformed that the civil war wasn't just about slavery. It's about facades. Loving big trucks with big tires but hiding the fact that you do. It's going to church, cheating on your spouse and then judging others for not putting enough in the collection plate but smiling the whole time you do it. It's an appreciation for farming, fishing and hunting. It's seersucker, tobacco and rocking chairs. It's the idea that life is better here, where I live, because I subscribe to this way of life. At least, to me, that's what the South is. And whether you call it Dixie or not, it's not dying. I won't let it. And then my kids won't let it. And hopefully their kids won't either.

slinger ....THAT was spectacular
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
I read roughly half of it. But I actually got bored with it because I didn't really understand what the writer was trying to accomplish. If ihe's attempting to define the South, that's an exercise in futility - especially if he's thinking geographically. Defining the South by geographical region is just plain silly, IMO. Because where I come from, the South is a state of being - a way of life. It's not marked by any lines - highways like I40 or Mason-Dixon lines or anything else like that. It's a state of being - a way of life; a culture. People can be Southerners in New Hampshire. They'll probably be outsiders. But it happens. Sure, many of us in the southern states all subscribe to varying levels of this culture and I guess that's why people try to draw lines to mark the region. But again, it's not geographical. And furthermore, what's the South to me might be different than what's the South to you.

To me the South is all encompassing. It's a belief system. It's tradition. It's a condescending attitude that we're more refined than others. It's the way we say certain words. It's the meaning behind those words. It's food - the way food is prepared and the way it's eaten. It's what you're preparing and eating. It's drinking. Beer, bourbon, sweet tea (and brewed only). It's keeping your sportjacket on even when it's 94 degrees because it's the proper thing to do. It's never sitting down at the dinner table with a hat on your head because that's poor etiquette. It's talking bad about the north. It's using words like "carpetbaggers" and it's referring to the Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression. It's having to constantly explain to the misinformed that the civil war wasn't just about slavery. It's about facades. Loving big trucks with big tires but hiding the fact that you do. It's going to church, cheating on your spouse and then judging others for not putting enough in the collection plate but smiling the whole time you do it. It's an appreciation for farming, fishing and hunting. It's seersucker, tobacco and rocking chairs. It's the idea that life is better here, where I live, because I subscribe to this way of life. At least, to me, that's what the South is. And whether you call it Dixie or not, it's not dying. I won't let it. And then my kids won't let it. And hopefully their kids won't either.
Damn son you nailed it, Sumbitch, I sure enough get it, and I am most definitely glad others don't......
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I have never experience a Southerner with this kind of condescending attitude. If anything, I find Southerners to be less condescending and more humble. This is my favorite character trait of Southerners.

As for the facades, you left out how it's about being nice to everyone's face and then ripping them behind their backs. I have never met a more fake group of people than Southerners. I hope this part of being a Southerner dies, because it's a bad character trait.

Originally posted by st8grad93:

I have never experience a Southerner with this kind of condescending attitude. If anything, I find Southerners to be less condescending and more humble. This is my favorite character trait of Southerners.

As for the facades, you left out how it's about being nice to everyone's face and then ripping them behind their backs. I have never met a more fake group of people than Southerners. I hope this part of being a Southerner dies, because it's a bad character trait.
We're not perfect. But we're closer than most.

And Dixie damn sure ain't dead or dying in Gastonia, N.C.!!!

My great-great Uncle:
stuart_web.jpg

My middle name, my grandfather's middle name, and great grandfather's middle name are all Stuart. My great-great grandfather was Private George Washington Yeatts (who's wife was related to Stuart). GW Yeatts enlisted in June 1861. 50th Virginia, Company K. Fought at Malvern Hill, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, captured at Wilderness in 1864 and sent to Elmira, NY POW camp. Released June 1865, died 1922.

Originally posted by st8grad93:

"Bless your heart."

This speaks to both of what you 'necks are saying
wink.r191677.gif

That's a lot better than a blabber mouth yankee, who just loves to hear themselves talk.

Originally posted by strummingram:
My great-great Uncle:
stuart_web.jpg

My middle name, my grandfather's middle name, and great grandfather's middle name are all Stuart. My great-great grandfather was Private George Washington Yeatts (who's wife was related to Stuart). GW Yeatts enlisted in June 1861. 50th Virginia, Company K. Fought at Malvern Hill, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, captured at Wilderness in 1864 and sent to Elmira, NY POW camp. Released June 1865, died 1922.
A something-cousin on my mother's side :

th

I am guessing he needs no introduction here ...

Originally posted by CrazyHeel:
That's a lot better than a blabber mouth yankee, who just loves to hear themselves talk.
Agreed, the South was great growing up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT