ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think Joel Berry can become the national player of the year.

Yup :cool:

At the least he's in a good position to have the stats for it with no other high usage scorers on the team. Gonna need to rack up the points though.

I think he can, but I don't think he will. Senior leaps from great to exceptional aren't really the norm. If we run the P&R a lot more his odds would improve, but they'd still be long.

Reactions: gauchoheel
With Joel being the only proven scorer returning, he will be the focus of opposing defenses. And he would need to average 20+ PPG to have a legitimate chance to win NPOY. That'll be difficult to do.

Reactions: RP12
Can he? YES!
Will he? Hard to say since it depends on so many factors. It will depend on the development of our bigs; our playing style; and the efficiency of his back court mates; as well as other peeps from other teams!

NPOY: as good a shot as any!
All American: almost 100%
ACCPOY: better shot than most
ALL ACC: 100%
UNCMVP: 95%

FF MOP: He's got my vote!

I don't think he'll accumulate the numbers necessary to. That just isn't the UNC system unless you're a big guy. Plus, Berry isn't the greatest passing PG. He's a drive first and scoring guard.

I think Berry averages something around: 16.5ppg, 4rpg, 4.5 apg.

Playing with Theo will decrease the number of rebounds and assists Berry could get and those numbers are just necessary to win NPOY.

I have always thought the comparison between Berry and Mason was pretty good. Short, strong, fearless, good handle, good shot, good court sense.

Berry sort of took himself out of the running last year as his handle and shooting dropped off toward the end. Still great, as his awards show, but not quite in the running any more.

If you compare Berry and Mason on Pomeroy ratings, you'll see that Mason was top-500 in 13 categories, top-100 in 4 of them, and #15 in the nation in 3-pt shooting, where he shot 47%.

IIRC Berry was top-500 in 11 categories at mid-season, but slipped to just 7 categories at the end. So, like Kennedy as a junior, part of Joel's senior challenge is to keep it going all season long. Then he has a chance.

I don't know if it helps or hurts to be on a top team. Last year Kansas was a #1 seed, and made it to the Elite Eight. Many times, Mason was the guy who saved games for them. Which is to say, he stood out on a very good team. I figure that helps.

While I hope to be wrong, I doubt we'll be as good this coming season. Could happen. We'll see how the questions are answered. But it may not help Berry's chances if it takes a while for our bigs to learn how to be ready for passes and to convert when they get the ball. I imagine it's hard for a point guard to win it without a lot of assists and a superior assist-to-turnover ratio.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT