ADVERTISEMENT

Do your job!

The key quote in the article: "They {the Horned Frogs} were supposed to be exposed in the Fiesta Bowl, making the playoff field despite being a historic outlier in recruiting rankings. No national champion in the CFP era had a recruiting class outside the top 15 in four years prior to winning the title. TCU has never had a single top 15 class since ESPN began its recruiting rankings in 2006."

No doubt Michigan wishes they had not taken TCU so lightly (I believe that cost them the game). We easily could have had a Michigan-Ohio State final. The "game" we had was an embarrassment to college football.

Reactions: strummingram
No doubt Michigan wishes they had not taken TCU so lightly (I believe that cost them the game). We easily could have had a Michigan-Ohio State final. The "game" we had was an embarrassment to college football.
After both semi's were very good games.

I think a great lesson is that a well coached team that is obviously lesser in talent, significantly lesser, has a much easier time winning a game against the much superior talent than to do that in back to back weeks.

That is a required understanding in order to know how SEC teams are molded in hot fire: in the SEC, you must play a killer league slate every season. To win big out of the SEC, you must win at least one set of back to back games against teams with a boatload of talent.

Woad’s obsession:

Superior Economic Conference
Quality football. The SEC had that long before it got almost as rich as the Big Ten. And it was the highest quality football combined with the most passionate football fans that raised the SEC in wealth multiple times. Now the SEC is able to out-spend the ACC in basketball most off the time.

Failure to do football right is the eventual death knell of any conference as long as money has any say. The ACC seems headed to being the next Big East, all because of that damned basketball obsession and resulting totally ignorant faith in the power of that grossly lesser sport to to save anything other than itself as a basketball-only league.

Quality football. The SEC had that long before it got almost as rich as the Big Ten. And it was the highest quality football combined with the most passionate football fans that raised the SEC in wealth multiple times. Now the SEC is able to out-spend the ACC in basketball most off the time.

Failure to do football right is the eventual death knell of any conference as long as money has any say. The ACC seems headed to being the next Big East, all because of that damned basketball obsession and resulting totally ignorant faith in the power of that grossly lesser sport to to save anything other than itself as a basketball-only league.
You know a long way back what made the SEC so more dominant in football than the ACC?

It was the 800 rule. You had to at least make an 800 on your SAT to attend.
Now in basketball with so many fewer players needed, this proved to be an obstacle that could be overcome and so the old ACC became a basketball conference.

But the real old timers wanted us to be dominant in football, and the 800 rule let the SEC become the dominant force, and the culture for football and those games flourished.

You know a long way back what made the SEC so more dominant in football than the ACC?

Now in basketball with so many fewer players needed, this proved to be an obstacle that could be overcome and so the old ACC became a basketball conference.

But the real old timers wanted us to be dominant in football, and the 800 rule let the SEC become the dominant force, and the culture for football and those games flourished.
It started a long time before that, but very high academic standards were a key reason. Joe Namath might have gone to Marland for both football and basketball, but he could not get admitted. And it was easier to get into Maryland than to UNC, UVA, Dook, and probably Maryland.

Joe Namath was smarter than a whole host of current ACC and Maryland football players.

It also affected basketball. Pete Maravich could into get into even NCSU as an NC resident soon of a coach. And carefree student Pete was a pure genius compared to a huge army of later Wuffies like Chris Washburn.

It started a long time before that, but very high academic standards were a key reason. Joe Namath might have gone to Marland for both football and basketball, but he could not get admitted. And it was easier to get into Maryland than to UNC, UVA, Dook, and probably Maryland.

Joe Namath was smarter than a whole host of current ACC and Maryland football players.

It also affected basketball. Pete Maravich could into get into even NCSU as an NC resident soon of a coach. And carefree student Pete was a pure genius compared to a huge army of later Wuffies like Chris Washburn.
Very good points.

Even farther back. In the late 50's and early 60's we couldn't get players in school that Big 10 schools readily admitted.

Reactions: randman1

I agree. But I don’t think that’s the case anymore. Does someone know the minimum test results necessary to play football or basketball for UNC compared to a regular student?

I agree. But I don’t think that’s the case anymore. Does someone know the minimum test results necessary to play football or basketball for UNC compared to a regular student?
It's not been the case for a long time, but it shaped football history and culture, and one reason the ACC became such a strong basketball conference.

Reactions: Archer2
Even farther back. In the late 50's and early 60's we couldn't get players in school that Big 10 schools readily admitted.
True. It was a noble game, but unrealistic. Either you play to win, or else you go Ivy. Lukewarm is a waste of everybody's time and money

It's not been the case for a long time, but it shaped football history and culture, and one reason the ACC became such a strong basketball conference.
To win big consistently in 1 platoon football requires about twice as many 'significantly lowered standards' players as does basketball. To win consistently in 2 platoon football requires at least 4 times as many 'significantly lowered standards' players as does basketball.

UNC made that choice hard and fast when they chose to ire Frank McGuire, then the hottest coach in CBB who had it easy at St John's in that he could sign, every year, 4-7 top recruited players who all lived within a 45-60 minute subway ride of campus and had played at a Catholic school.

The Catholic school ties were central to McGuire being hired, because UNC officials knew that all those kids then would come to UNC with at least 3 years of Latin and a lot of stern discipline.

I no longer keep up with such things. My guess is that now they are all very close.
My guess as well. Someone in the know please correct me if wrong. Our beloved university is buying hired guns to make money for the school, grades be damned, just like every other school. And it appears that most of you couldn’t care less. Just win at any cost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT