ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Final Four Transcript (4-1-22)

Deana_King

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 31, 2001
HE MODERATOR: We're joined by Duke student-athletes and Coach Krzyzewski.

Q. Duke-Carolina has always been the gateway to ACC championships. This game could be a gateway to a national championship. What's the difference between --

COACH KRZYZEWSKI: I don't know that it's more important, but it's not more important because it's North Carolina. It would always be important if it's North Carolina. It's the most important because if you win you get a chance to play for the national championship. And that has to be your focus. That's the focus.

Q. Is Mark the best defensive player you've ever played with? And what's the best part about playing with him on that end of the floor?

WENDELL MOORE JR.: I would say, yes, Mark is the best defensive player I've played with. It's great because he makes my job easier guarding the perimeter. I know if I get beat off the dribble he'll be there to have my back.

PAOLO BANCHERO: I have to agree. Definitely the best defensive player I've played with. He gets a lot of credit for the blocks, but I think more the effect that I see is just when -- just the shots he changes and kind of the fear he puts in the offensive players, you know. A lot of players are hesitant to go up. They pump fake or kick out when usually they go and try and finish just because Mark's there. So it's a big help, for sure.

Q. How tough has it been just trying to stay in the moment and not think about the possibility of Coach's last game, your last game?

WENDELL MOORE JR.: I honestly don't think it's been that tough for us, because we've been dealing with it all year. It's kind of been something that's been following us really every game we play in. Coach's last something.

So now the fact that it's the Final Four, realizing that this is not only Coach's last something but it's our last something as a team. This group of 14 won't be together anymore after this. So we just all stay in that moment together. I think we've done a great job at it.

MARK WILLIAMS: 100 percent. I think realizing that it's our last something is really important. And I think we've learned that throughout the course of this year. We've definitely learned to embrace that. It's an opportunity a lot of people don't get to have. So just embracing it and making the most of it.

PAOLO BANCHERO: Just staying in the moment as a team. Being in the present. At the end of the day, we're at the Final Four. And this is all fun to us. We don't look at it really as pressure. We get to play in front of more people than anybody has. We get to play on the biggest stage in college sports. So we're looking at it as fun, really. At this point, I feel like the pressure is out the window. I think it's four teams left. All great teams. The best one's going to win. We're just going to go out there and do our best.

Q. I just spoke to Trevor and Jeremy. They seem calm, poised, ready to play tomorrow night. Has it set in that you guys are getting ready to compete for a national championship tomorrow night?

WENDELL MOORE JR.: I think it set in for us really as soon as we got here. We got off the plane, it was the whole fans thing waiting for us off the plane. We loved it. Really just got us all excited from the start. And you come in here yesterday, get some shots up in the dome, it was a great moment for us, just being in that moment. Since we got here it's fun and games, but we know tomorrow it's going to be a fight and we'll be ready for it.

MARK WILLIAMS: Yes, it set in a little bit. I don't think anything will compare to when the game starts tomorrow with 70,000 people in the stands, but it's going to be really exciting. It's something I've been dreaming of since I was a little kid. To be out here is great.

I wouldn't call it pressure either. It's just opportunity that for me to have is pretty cool. I mean, for all of us to have is pretty cool.

PAOLO BANCHERO: Basically what them two said. We're just embracing it all. Obviously I definitely think it's set in that we're here. We play tomorrow. So I would hope it set in. And we'll be ready.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News