ADVERTISEMENT

Elliot Cadeau Reclassifying To 2023, Will Enroll At UNC This Summer

Then life as a Tar Heel fan would suck! LOL

No, way to many experts, folks that make a living projecting this stuff, David Sisk being just 1 example, would have to admit they don't really know what they are talking about and I assure you that is not the case. Just so it is clear, I think David Sisk is the gold standard for what he does, big time respect for him from me, he alone is worth the price of a premium membership.

As for Cadeau, honestly, I rate him above kendal, I rate him above Ty or Raymond, I think he is Easy Eddy with more scoring ability. If he played for us for 3yrs I would really have to question who is the best UNC PG I have ever seen, means I would have to put him right there with Phil Ford and that is not been possible, until maybe with this kid, he is that special folks! Note, we will not get 3yrs from this kid. If he stayed with UNC for his full eligibility I think he would leave with more than 1 NCAA National Championship ring. The experts I have seen seem to all consider this kid to be a generational talent, meaning you only get one of those per generation and we got this one.
I’m in agreement and I generally don’t tout freshmen much.

Not sure if if its been mentioned, but Cadeau stated a reason he reclassed is this gives him an opportunity to stay at least two years, if his one and done expectations don't go according to plan.
That would be great.

Then again, if it looks like he will stay for a 2nd year (not because he wasn't good enough to go pro), then how does that affect our chances with Boogie Fland? I'm guessing he goes elsewhere. Which I guess doesn't matter because we'll have Cadeau.

Then again, maybe Boogie and Cadeau would be great together. If we assume RJ doesn't play his COVID year, who would be SG?

I wonder if Boogie would wait until next spring to see what Cadeau does. Are we a strong enough contender for him to delay committing to another team?

Then life as a Tar Heel fan would suck! LOL

No, way to many experts, folks that make a living projecting this stuff, David Sisk being just 1 example, would have to admit they don't really know what they are talking about and I assure you that is not the case. Just so it is clear, I think David Sisk is the gold standard for what he does, big time respect for him from me, he alone is worth the price of a premium membership.

As for Cadeau, honestly, I rate him above kendal, I rate him above Ty or Raymond, I think he is Easy Eddy with more scoring ability. If he played for us for 3yrs I would really have to question who is the best UNC PG I have ever seen, means I would have to put him right there with Phil Ford and that is not been possible, until maybe with this kid, he is that special folks! Note, we will not get 3yrs from this kid. If he stayed with UNC for his full eligibility I think he would leave with more than 1 NCAA National Championship ring. The experts I have seen seem to all consider this kid to be a generational talent, meaning you only get one of those per generation and we got this one.
God this posts hype is so ridiculously high that it's almost impossible to reach.

Reactions: tarheel0910
God this posts hype is so ridiculously high that it's almost impossible to reach.
If he is even close to this hype then we’re set. Honestly, I’m not putting anyone in the same sentence as Ty until I see it firsthand. He was an absolute stud. Especially junior Ty.

Haven't seen this much hype for a freshman since Barnes. Sucks for him, because he's almost guaranteed to be a letdown unless he walks on water. That's what happened to Barnes. Even though he had a good career here, he was always considered kind of a letdown by a lot of people because he wasn't an all time great.

His all star game performance at PG where better than anything we had last year. What if he fails, ummm his game isn't predicated on scoring, it is about his leadership. So struggling with shooting is no problem as long as he can facilitate our offense.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Haven't seen this much hype for a freshman since Barnes. Sucks for him, because he's almost guaranteed to be a letdown unless he walks on water. That's what happened to Barnes. Even though he had a good career here, he was always considered kind of a letdown by a lot of people because he wasn't an all time great.
I’ll wait to see him play. People on this message board compared John Henson to Kevin Durant. I even thought the Kendall Marshall to Jason Kidd comparisons were heavy.

Also, I’m reading a lot of “he can score but would rather pass” or something along those lines. Let’s make one thing clear. If Cadeau can score 15 ppg efficiently…. He should absolutely score and look to score.

I think a lot of the hype has to do with fans being desperate for a good PG. been a little while since we had one of those. And the “score first” PG like Caleb or Cole didn’t work out for whatever reason. So I think fans want a pass first PG. Also some nostalgia for Kendall Marshall? But if you look at all of Roy’s 1 and 2 seeds, the Kendall Marshall years were BY FAR the worst offenses.

Dee, I guess I should have been more specific when referring to freelance. You are 100% correct in the freelance resulting from broken plays. I'm referring more to heavy use of the primary and secondary fast break in attacking defenses before they are set. The more buckets we get from that the less pressure to operate in a half court set. The other portion of the equation is, even in a half court set, we have players who can more adaptively create for themselves and their teammates. Teammates. The basketball IQ portion reveals itself in spacing and anticipation of passing lanes. How many times did we all watch? Mondo pin his man only to have one of our guards dribble until the ball went flat. By the time they went to get it to him, he was no longer open.

I guess I would also recognize the difference between panicking at the end of the shot clock because the defense blew your play up and an actual freelance, movement style offense with players who can shoot well enough to spread the floor and you are smart enough to recognize and make passes to open cutters.

I don't disagree with what you said about our plays blowing up and freelancing after. I do think we got a ton better with the pieces that we have, the key being EC to run it all together. Can't wait for the season! Go heels!
I already replied to this quoted post but there is one aspect I wanted to make as clear as I can concerning how I at very least HOPE we will play. I want our primary attack to be the running game, push it even off made baskets, back to UNC primary and secondary breaks. I don't think you can stop Cadeau from initiating this even if you wanted to, he would NOT have reclassed and come to us if we were going to play that half court style we have seen last 2 seasons. So I want the initial look to be the breaks but if and only if the break is not there, I want us to flow in to the spread that Hubert seems to love and let Cadeau pick the defense apart (notice, I have not yet used the phrase "free lance" yet, don't worry, I am about to). If a shot is missed from the spread, if at that point we get a offensive rebound, THEN go directly in to free lance motion and see if we can get a quick stick back to kick/slip to an open guy, if it isn't there quick then pull back out & reload to the spread and rinse/repeat.

Couple of real keys that so far I have not seen from Hubert's teams that I see as absolutely vital for not just this team now but this program moving forward. I have already spoke to the need to return to the primary and secondary breaks, that would be top of list for me but there are a couple others that really need to return.

1) PLEASE stop pounding the ball thru the floor boards and move the ball via short quick passes. I am so over watching our players in half court receive a pass and the very first thing they do is put the ball on the floor? One aspect of the game that has NEVER changed is that the ball moves quicker from a quick accurate pass than it does from the dribble. As fast as Ty Lawson was he could not dribble the ball and cover ground as quickly as the much slower Kendal Marshal did with the pass.

2) East/West vs North/South, makes my eyes bleed to see as much dribbling the ball from side to side, it simply put does not force the defense to move, it allows defenses to be able to use their natural flow, shifts, to move like they want and not like we want them to. North South means pentation of the paint, that forces defenses to commit, good decisions off that forces defenses to have to scramble and that is what we want defense to have to do, what we want them to do and not what they want to do.

3) Can we PLEASE ease up on this playing guys outside of their natural positions, not just position wise but role wise. I don't need to see a Leaky Black shooter spread out like a dead eye shooter, I don't need to see a center trying to be a 2 guard, and I am darn sure over it with the 2 guards that want to be PGs or 3pt shot takers without even as much as considering passing it. For a guy like Nance, who was a center with questionable feet to camp out on the other side of the court 40" out and show ZERO movement, OVER IT! 2 guard pumping up well over 20 shots a game and missing the VAST majority of them, I am OVER IT! Much more of this and Bubba will as well be OVER IT!

4) If you don't have the players able to play the scheme you want them to play how about we adjust to something your talent allows us a chance with? Can we stop with the pounding square pegs in to round holes, all it does is mess up the peg and it does the hole no favors either.

5) Can we please stop saying we are going to do something and simply not do anything about it? How many times over the last couple seasons have we heard from Hubert, yeah, we need to run it more or yeah I need to get this or that kid more minutes. Yet you don't see anything that indicates anything is even suggested to do what was talked about? I have been taught all my life to say what I do and do what I say. So this Say what you want to hear and I do what ever the heck I want deal I am not down for.

6) Called set plays from the side lines... I VERY strongly believe that called set plays from the side lines should be situational and rare and we got the opposite of that last season, that has to stop.

7) USE YOUR DARN BENCH!!!!! The entire incoming freshman class from season before last is now gone, get that, that entire recruiting class is no longer UNC players. WE have already lost one of our freshmen from last season. Now you can tell me that Styles, Dunn, and Shaver reclassing to that class were not Hubert's recruits, actually Shaver was. But even with Styles and Dunn, Hubert's was Roy's top assistant, it isn't like he had no input when they were considering those 2 fellas as recruits. Lebo didn't have input of scholly offers to Styles & Dunn but Hubert did so they have to be considered at least in part Hubert's recruits as well as Roy's. If I am not mistaken I believe Hubert may have been the lead recruiter for Dunn and worked hard on the Styles recruitment as well. You don't play your bench they don't develop, they don't develop they now days enter the portal and that entire class + Nickel has shown us just that. If guys don't fit the style you demand your team play, don't bring them in! I think that every player that plays the point for us moving forward should not be a combo but a ball handling quick speedster that handles & passes the ball really well and has great vision & decision making with the ball, ball strong (usually what separates a PG from a combo).

I already replied to this quoted post but there is one aspect I wanted to make as clear as I can concerning how I at very least HOPE we will play. I want our primary attack to be the running game, push it even off made baskets, back to UNC primary and secondary breaks. I don't think you can stop Cadeau from initiating this even if you wanted to, he would NOT have reclassed and come to us if we were going to play that half court style we have seen last 2 seasons. So I want the initial look to be the breaks but if and only if the break is not there, I want us to flow in to the spread that Hubert seems to love and let Cadeau pick the defense apart (notice, I have not yet used the phrase "free lance" yet, don't worry, I am about to). If a shot is missed from the spread, if at that point we get a offensive rebound, THEN go directly in to free lance motion and see if we can get a quick stick back to kick/slip to an open guy, if it isn't there quick then pull back out & reload to the spread and rinse/repeat.

Couple of real keys that so far I have not seen from Hubert's teams that I see as absolutely vital for not just this team now but this program moving forward. I have already spoke to the need to return to the primary and secondary breaks, that would be top of list for me but there are a couple others that really need to return.

1) PLEASE stop pounding the ball thru the floor boards and move the ball via short quick passes. I am so over watching our players in half court receive a pass and the very first thing they do is put the ball on the floor? One aspect of the game that has NEVER changed is that the ball moves quicker from a quick accurate pass than it does from the dribble. As fast as Ty Lawson was he could not dribble the ball and cover ground as quickly as the much slower Kendal Marshal did with the pass.

2) East/West vs North/South, makes my eyes bleed to see as much dribbling the ball from side to side, it simply put does not force the defense to move, it allows defenses to be able to use their natural flow, shifts, to move like they want and not like we want them to. North South means pentation of the paint, that forces defenses to commit, good decisions off that forces defenses to have to scramble and that is what we want defense to have to do, what we want them to do and not what they want to do.

3) Can we PLEASE ease up on this playing guys outside of their natural positions, not just position wise but role wise. I don't need to see a Leaky Black shooter spread out like a dead eye shooter, I don't need to see a center trying to be a 2 guard, and I am darn sure over it with the 2 guards that want to be PGs or 3pt shot takers without even as much as considering passing it. For a guy like Nance, who was a center with questionable feet to camp out on the other side of the court 40" out and show ZERO movement, OVER IT! 2 guard pumping up well over 20 shots a game and missing the VAST majority of them, I am OVER IT! Much more of this and Bubba will as well be OVER IT!

4) If you don't have the players able to play the scheme you want them to play how about we adjust to something your talent allows us a chance with? Can we stop with the pounding square pegs in to round holes, all it does is mess up the peg and it does the hole no favors either.

5) Can we please stop saying we are going to do something and simply not do anything about it? How many times over the last couple seasons have we heard from Hubert, yeah, we need to run it more or yeah I need to get this or that kid more minutes. Yet you don't see anything that indicates anything is even suggested to do what was talked about? I have been taught all my life to say what I do and do what I say. So this Say what you want to hear and I do what ever the heck I want deal I am not down for.

6) Called set plays from the side lines... I VERY strongly believe that called set plays from the side lines should be situational and rare and we got the opposite of that last season, that has to stop.

7) USE YOUR DARN BENCH!!!!! The entire incoming freshman class from season before last is now gone, get that, that entire recruiting class is no longer UNC players. WE have already lost one of our freshmen from last season. Now you can tell me that Styles, Dunn, and Shaver reclassing to that class were not Hubert's recruits, actually Shaver was. But even with Styles and Dunn, Hubert's was Roy's top assistant, it isn't like he had no input when they were considering those 2 fellas as recruits. Lebo didn't have input of scholly offers to Styles & Dunn but Hubert did so they have to be considered at least in part Hubert's recruits as well as Roy's. If I am not mistaken I believe Hubert may have been the lead recruiter for Dunn and worked hard on the Styles recruitment as well. You don't play your bench they don't develop, they don't develop they now days enter the portal and that entire class + Nickel has shown us just that. If guys don't fit the style you demand your team play, don't bring them in! I think that every player that plays the point for us moving forward should not be a combo but a ball handling quick speedster that handles & passes the ball really well and has great vision & decision making with the ball, ball strong (usually what separates a PG from a combo).
Couldn’t agree more D. Andrew talked at length about a coach’s “approach” on one of his podcasts. The biggest question mark for me going into this season is exactly what kind of approach” Hubert will have. Did we not push tempo last year because Hubert didn’t feel we could effectively do that, or does he prefer a more half court oriented style? I pray it’s the former because failing to unleash Cadeau’s God given talent would be a travesty. Does he prefer playing a deeper bench or not? I think this season will go a long way towards the fan base learning what Hubert’s “approach/philosophy“ is. He has a versatile, deep, and talented team. I’m curious to find out if he’ll incorporate more traditional UNC concepts.

Please revive the point to the passer thing. Regardless of what style you play, you can do that.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
1) PLEASE stop pounding the ball thru the floor boards and move the ball via short quick passes. I am so over watching our players in half court receive a pass and the very first thing they do is put the ball on the floor
To go along with this, don't let the ball stick when you get the pass. Shoot, drive or pass. Keep the rock moving.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you how often we'd be moving the ball around, and getting just a hair ahead of the defense . . . and then someone would get the pass and stand there looking around. Usually Caleb or Leaky, but everybody at one time or another.

Which too often led to either a forced shot or a resumption of motion after the defense had fully caught up.

To be fair, sometimes those stoppages arose from trying too hard to get the ball to Armando. Which I'm pretty sure was something Hubert was telling them to do.

...I think this season will go a long way towards the fan base learning what Hubert’s “approach/philosophy“ is...
good post. and thanks for not calling it a "system." the overuse/misuse of the term system on this board is annoying.

Seen a lot of suggestion on having the team run more, using the fast break options and etc. One thing that I have not seen, and forgive me if it was missed, is what sold EC on playing at Carolina? Was it the fact that Davis told him that he wanted to implement more of a running game with the players around him that were more athletics? Do you really believe EC would have committed if he was told that he would be running a lot of set plays, and not pushing the ball when opportunity presented itself?

Not going to make any pre judgement on what this team will resemble this upcoming season. Lastly, we will find out what type of coach Davis will be going forward on how he handles this team in the upcoming season. Does he make adjustments which we all want to see, or will he be stubborn and fail miserly which I hope it does not come to this. Definitely want to see him succeed in coaching, outside of being a good to great recruiter.

good post. and thanks for not calling it a "system." the overuse/misuse of the term system on this board is annoying.
Yeah, I agree, I am as guilty of using the word system as much as anyone, I as well use scheme a lot. The better descriptor is offensive philosophy or offensive approach. My meaning is pretty much the same with all the above words and phrases. When I read someone else say "system" in most context I grant a good bit of latitude because I am looking for what they are trying to say vs the actual words used. Sometimes when you have a train of thought going on that you are trying to express in written form it is hard to come up with the just right words that fits your narrative so you fill in what you think is the one that does come top of mind and I think many times "system" is an example of that.

I want to see high-octane, up-tempo offense. I loved the days when Lawson would almost turn the other team's made basket into a UNC fast break. Roy's early years at Kansas he ran the UNC secondary break better than Dean was running it in Chapel Hill. I miss those Tar Heel teams where the offense put so much pressure on the opponent that you could see them get rattled if they didn't score on a couple of possessions, and a 5 point lead was stretched to 15 in a couple of minutes.

So the experts do not know what they are talking about, got ya, check.

I guess what you have watched of the kid, I assume you have watched him, what weakness in his game have you spotted that folks like Sisk has missed? I have attributed the phrase "generational talent" as coming from the mouths of others, like David Sisk, not my words...

What I have been saying is that you take a kid like Cadeau and wrap solid shooting around him with a guy like Bacot down low and you have the makings of something very special. Feel free to argue counter to that by all means, do YOU argue counter to that? If not then kindly explain the purpose of your quoted reply?

So the experts do not know what they are talking about, got ya, check.

I guess what you have watched of the kid, I assume you have watched him, what weakness in his game have you spotted that folks like Sisk has missed? I have attributed the phrase "generational talent" as coming from the mouths of others, like David Sisk, not my words...

What I have been saying is that you take a kid like Cadeau and wrap solid shooting around him with a guy like Bacot down low and you have the makings of something very special. Feel free to argue counter to that by all means, do YOU argue counter to that? If not then kindly explain the purpose of your quoted reply?
Dude, he is the 8th ranked player in the class. Nassir Little was I think 2nd in his class, Harrison Barnes 1st in his class. GG Jackson was 1st in his class. Did they do anything close to anything you said? Is it possible, sure? Is it guaranteed to happen, I mean, the odds are closer to no for sure. Stop expecting the moon.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Dude, he is the 8th ranked player in the class. Nassir Little was I think 2nd in his class, Harrison Barnes 1st in his class. GG Jackson was 1st in his class. Did they do anything close to anything you said? Is it possible, sure? Is it guaranteed to happen, I mean, the odds are closer to no for sure. Stop expecting the moon.

Have you watched any of his highlights? There’s a lot to be excited/optimistic about.

A lot to be excited about and I admit to sharing plenty of the positivity…. But Dave did go a little overboard in his post!

For me, I’m just looking forward to seeing the Heels playing with a point who can manage the tempo, the spacing and the rhythm of the team.

The Heels haven’t really had that since Joel Berry (and I mean that with no offence to Coby, who’s floor leadership was based on speed and talent, less on guile and variation of tempo)

Kid is a floor general and is super athletic. His windmill style dunks seem effortless for him. His shot looks sound to me—Feeling pretty optimistic on this one!

If shots are falling that should really open things up for this roster and I’m excited to see what they can do!

I don’t think some of you know how much having an elite passer with great quickness can elevate a team. With Cadeau at point we easily make the NCAAT last season. We will be sooooo much harder to defend. It’s been since HB that I’ve been this excited about a freshman. I very rarely tout them. He is exceptional.

Last edited:
I don’t think some of you know how much having an elite passer with great quickness can elevate a team. With Cadeau at point we easily make the NCAAT last season. We will be sooooo much harder to defend. It’s been since HB that I’ve been this excited about a freshman. I very rarely tout them. He is exceptional.
Saying he's good enough to make a big improvement on the team is fine. Saying he's better than any PG that's played here (something multiple people have done or insinuated) is beyond over the top considering he hasn't even played in summer pick-ups yet, much less a game.

Saying he's good enough to make a big improvement on the team is fine. Saying he's better than any PG that's played here (something multiple people have done or insinuated) is beyond over the top considering he hasn't even played in summer pick-ups yet, much less a game.
I agree but that’s what zealous fans do. I hope he’s in Chapel Hill long enough to make a reasonable comparison with some of our best PG’s but I don’t think he will. I am looking forward to seeing some of the ACC points try to guard him one on one.

🙄😏

I didn't read where anyone really said he would be the best ever, but it has been implied that he could get his name in that conversation. I think this is over the top, but most of my reluctance is because he simply won't be here long enough to get to the top! I fully believe he has the skill, athleticism, work ethic, and attitude to become truly great! I think he is joining a team that is dadgum near perfectly built and if just a spot of luck goes there way, could do some pretty wonderful things! I firmly believe that if he stayed 2 years a Natty is pretty close to a done deal! I know next season will be as fun a ride as UNC has had in years!

Reactions: John_Mexico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT