ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone is eligible, the slippery slope of suing the NCAA

DaveChapelle

All-American
Sep 17, 2020
So all Tar Heel fans know the battle to get Tez Walker eligible. Most of you probably know that lots of 2-time transfers have also been ruled ineligible and chose to fight it, even when they didn't meet any of the exceptions like Tez did. Well thanks to the playbook used on behalf of Tez (suing the NCAA for anti-trust violations) the NCAA has made a deal to grant eligibility to all 2-time transfers for the rest of the sports season. Even guys who clearly should be ineligible due to the rules all the schools agreed on... are now eligible.

You see where this is headed right? NCAA rules no longer matter as long as you have a lawyer willing to sue claiming anti-trust violations. The NCAA has shown it is definitely going to back down. Think about the upcoming pandora's box. Players didn't make the grades? Sue and he's eligible. Player has transferred 3 times? Sue and he's eligible. Player has been playing professionally? Sue and he's eligible. Dook needs a real center for the NCAA tournament, they drop $500k on the kid at WVU to get him to transfer in February, sue and he's immediately eligible.

I just don't see how the NCAA can even exist going forward. We now know their rules mean nothing. And I say this as someone who celebrated Tez being eligible.

With all that said, who should UNC try to poach before the 2023 NCAA tournament?

I'll contribute to the NIL to add our first inseason immediately eligible transfer if it helps us compete for the title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT