ADVERTISEMENT

Okonkwo enters the transfer portal

DaveChapelle

All-American
Sep 17, 2020
A byproduct of all the lawsuits that have effectively ended all NCAA transfer rules. Now players can transfer multiple times and be immediately eligible each time.

I don't blame him one bit. He only has one year of eligibility left (thanks to Huggins screwing over his redshirt year by playing him 11 minutes at the end of the season.) He's a great teammate and I'm sure he'd like to play significant minutes in his final college season.

His alley oop from Trimble was the best alley oop we saw all season. I'm sad to see him go because he's probably the next most physical center we had besides Bacot.

I think he sealed his fate in one 90 second period when he was given 1st half minutes and it was a train wreck mid way through the season

JO seems like he could have done some good things with minutes but didn’t have the shot, and appropriately so. If Mondo had missed the season I bet he would have stepped into a 15 minutes a game role and provided defense and rebounding adequately, but not a ton of upside there. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: heelpharm
I think he sealed his fate in one 90 second period when he was given 1st half minutes and it was a train wreck mid way through the season
I think it was probably clear in practice he wasn't at the Bacot/Washington level. No game time needed. He was brought in as insurance primarily.

Reactions: heelpharm
He convinced Okonkwo to reclassify and enroll early at WVU under the premise that he'd redshirt. Then he burned the redshirt for 11 minutes of playing time.
That is insane. I know Ok couldn’t do this - but he should’ve just not gone on the game , feigned injury or illness or whatever. If Huggins was going to screw him over regardless. Almost like a personal vendetta by Huggins

The redshirt is not burned and he didn't play enough to be ineligible for it. He can still apply right now to have the redshirt granted, assumption was that he would use the extra year when he committed.

Reactions: thompsjj
The redshirt is not burned and he didn't play enough to be ineligible for it. He can still apply right now to have the redshirt granted, assumption was that he would use the extra year when he committed.
The redshirt was burned the moment he set foot on the court.

Only medical hardships can be granted to a player who played a certain amount of minutes in a season. Medical hardships are different than redshirts. And Okonkwo doesn't qualify for a medical hardship.

For Okonkwo to get a redshirt at this point he'd have to redshirt next season. There is no way for him to retroactively convince the NCAA his freshman year was a redshirt year since he played.

"In basketball, that’s not the case. If a player appears in a single game in a given season, which typically spans somewhere between 30 and 32 games prior to the NCAA Tournament, he burns a year of eligibility. The only way it can be avoided is if the player is granted a medical redshirt for an injury."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT