ADVERTISEMENT

Film from Alabama game

NathanFielder

Freshman
Mar 18, 2024
Will post my thoughts on mainly miscues from the Alabama game. A lot of defensive miscues throughout the game. And some very frustrating transition defense failures. There's a lot so I'll split by half.

Start with a positive. Set play on the first offensive position. Usually for RJ to run off this down screen to DHO. But it was for Cadeau instead. Got him some confidence.

I didn't like how we defended screens under the free throw line. IMO, this should be a switch because there isn't a lot of space from ball to basket. RJ certainly can't go over here. Bacot at the least needs to jam the guard.

Cadeau slightly out of control closeout. Allows Estrada to go left (he's left handed). RJ with an overhelp and tries to do too much. Open 3. Bad all around. But Cadeau needs a better closeout.

I thought Trimble was pretty bad defensively all game. First of all, all of the help is towards the middle and he gets beat baseline. He gambled a couple of times for steals and Estrada easily gets past him for an open jumper.

Horrendous zone defense against the underneath out of bounds. Wrong team to do it against. Sears makes a big time shot, but at best, Sears gets a 1-on-1 on Washington. Thankfully we didn't go zone afer this.

Seth leans to what I think might be a fade screen for his primary man??? His man rejects the screen. Seth recovers ok. But typically on DHO at this angle, it's a switch. No communication between Withers and Trimble. Easy slip which Alabama eventually converts.

Seth gets beat backdoor due to faceguarding Sears and leans to a screen. You have help on the screen. You don't have help on the baseline. Easy reject/backdoor from Sears. Easy bucket.

Where is Bacot on this DHO? Absolutely nowhere to be found. Drop coverage against the wrong team. Practice 3.

Repeat Bacot. This time, 0 help off a screen for Alabama's best player/shooter. Cormac Ryan also shouldn't be going over this screen. You'll always be in a trail position then.

Washington plays drop coverage down to the charge circle. Layup line for Sears.

Terrible transition defense here from Cormac Ryan. You need to get the ball going towards your help (middle). You can't let it get to the baseline because there's no help here. Why is he leaning into the screen here? You have help with Cadeau on the screen?

Better from Bacot on this ball screen, but still too late.

Worst play of the first half. Off a Bacot put back dunk, everyone home run trots back. Also, everyone assumed a converted fast break so not enough rebounders are back to rebound the miss. Alabama is allowed to miss a layup, miss a tip, then offensive rebound, then pass the ball, then lay it in and RJ and Bacot barely get to the free throw line. Loser basketball here.

Bacot drop coverage again. If RJ is going to go over the screen, then Bacot has to be there. Then helpside pick up the roller. Wrong team to do drop coverage against. Wrong type of defense to do drop coverage if RJ is going over.

Reactions: Heelicious
Second half:
Miscommunication from Ryan and Cadeau. No screen set so not sure why Cadeau is calling for a switch. (GIF isn't working. Link below)

Trimble again leans to a screen allowing Estrada to reject it and go to the basket. Maybe the gameplan was make him go right. Trimble in fairness recovers well, but Washington overhelps. Practice 3.

Home run trot again. The inbound passer ends up making a 3. Loser basketball play. Celebrate less, get back on defense quicker.

Again, screen under the FT line. For me, this is a switch because the ball is so close to the rim. Especially with Estrada going left.

Bad transition D due to poor floor balance. RJ is underneath the basket. Also, Wojcik goes after a 0 chance offensive rebound for some reason. Leads to another transition 3.

Auto switch here for Wojcik. He's late and does a half-ass switch. (GIF not working, link below)

IMO, drop coverage is the wrong defense here. It either has to be a switch, or a hard hedge. Ryan should not be going over the screen either. He's automatically getting into a trail position. Switch or hard hedge and Ryan recovers going under the screen. You especially can't do drop coverage and let Sears get back to his left hand. Practice line layup.

This is why you switch late game. Miscommunication here on a switch. Bacot obviously was told no more drop coverage. So he's there to hedge at the least. Maybe Ryan misses the switch message, but this is why you switch all ball screens late game. Withers also late on the help, but since he was late, I'm wondering if Ryan missed the call to switch.

Last edited:
A mechanical note on Cadeau's 3. Might be nothing. Might be something. But his feet are square to the opposite sideline on this 3. Kevin Durant shoots like this too with his feet so it isn't the end of the world. But it is something that could be making his shot harder than it should be. His right elbow looks a bit flared outside of his frame to me. Again, not the end of the world, but his feet especially might be making his shot harder.

@NathanFielder thanks for this wonderful post and for doing it in what could be painful to rewatch.

I personally am so glad you are posting on this board! You did great here.

Lots of: bad / wrong decisions, lack of hustle including transition defense and defensive rebounding, and lots of Wash and Bacot guarding nobody in the lane.

How much did Hubs and other coaches truly scout Alabama? All their guys are very good 3 shooters. They take and make 3s and layups/ dunks (or the open 4 footers here which are close to layups). They abhor midrange jumpers as unproductive shots. So why didn’t we defend this way, up on their 3 pt shooters, and switch in paint to avoid layups.

Thanks again and I seriously wonder if hubs and co did this level of strategic defensive analysis you did. I wish you could send it to them or get a place on the staff. I seriously don’t think hubs does this sort of astute analysis you did here.

Last edited:
And the comments on what to fix on ECs shot is right on too. The things you mention should be easy to point out and fix with EC at start of off season. Whether it’s Hubert’s shooting motion or Paige’s (which I think wasn’t great to be honest) - or other players in college or pros, they should be able to find people to help EC (and Trimble) improve shooting.

I know they did this with Felton and his chicken wing elbow and he got a lot better from 3. You could look back at guys like Ellington or Donald Williams who had as pretty of shooting form as you’ll ever see, re: being square to the hoop, body aligned inside shoulder and feet frame and great smooth follow through release with right amount of notation and arc.

Or just mimic Klay Thompson who I think has best shooting form I can recall. They say he could shoot inside a phone booth and not touch the sides - his form is so pure and contained, tight, undrifting jump and release with arms and legs inside core frame and going straight up.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. There was an obvious moving screen on one play and a push in the back on another play by Alabama. But stuff like that happens all the time.

@NathanFielder thanks for this wonderful post and for doing it in what could be painful to rewatch.

I personally am so glad you are posting on this board! You did great here.

Lots of: bad / wrong decisions, lack of hustle including transition defense and defensive rebounding, and lots of Wash and Bacot guarding nobody in the lane.

How much did Hubs and other coaches truly scout Alabama? All their guys are very good 3 shooters. They take and make 3s and layups/ dunks (or the open 4 footers here which are close to layups). They abhor midrange jumpers as unproductive shots. So why didn’t we defend this way, up on their 3 pt shooters, and switch in paint to avoid layups.

Thanks again and I seriously wonder if hubs and co did this level of strategic defensive analysis you did. I wish you could send it to them or get a place on the staff. I seriously don’t think hubs does this sort of astute analysis you did here.
It's easy for me to say all that I said after the game. After the game, Seth leaning toward a screen and letting Sears reject it for an open 2 looks bad. But during the game, when Sears is on a heater and Seth just guards him 1-on-1 and Sears scores, a keyboard warrior by the username of NathanFielder may scream "WHY AREN'T YOU FACEGUARDING SEARS!!!!"?

It's easy after the game but there are fundamental defensive issues that I think go back long before Hubert was the HC. But Hubert may have picked up on those tendencies being an assistant. Again, simply my opinion on some of the defensive structures. But I've never been a huge fan of how we've defended screens even when Hansbrough's teams primarily hedged and recovered. Bacot is more drop coverage, which I just don't think you can do against Alabama or most modern offensively gifted primary ballhandlers. The initial zone, then matching up m2m off underneath inbounds never made sense to me. A good opposing head coach can easily manipulate a matchup.

The other thing about this matchup. We didn't face teams in the ACC that wanted to run. There were only 3 teams in the ACC who ranked top 50 in tempo. As much as we say we want to run, we didn't face a lot of teams that wanted to run and we certainly didn't face a team that runs at Alabama's pace. Hard to adjust to it if you haven't seen it in live action.

I think a lot of this is traditional. UNC has always played a certain style on both ends of the floor. If they want to keep that because it's UNC fine, I'm not the coach, lol. But I will question if some of the traditional things are the best defense you can run. And that's where you need to dive into the film. Because everyone's going to have their narrative and belief of what will work and what won't.

It's easy for me to say all that I said after the game. After the game, Seth leaning toward a screen and letting Sears reject it for an open 2 looks bad. But during the game, when Sears is on a heater and Seth just guards him 1-on-1 and Sears scores, a keyboard warrior by the username of NathanFielder may scream "WHY AREN'T YOU FACEGUARDING SEARS!!!!"?

It's easy after the game but there are fundamental defensive issues that I think go back long before Hubert was the HC. But Hubert may have picked up on those tendencies being an assistant. Again, simply my opinion on some of the defensive structures. But I've never been a huge fan of how we've defended screens even when Hansbrough's teams primarily hedged and recovered. Bacot is more drop coverage, which I just don't think you can do against Alabama or most modern offensively gifted primary ballhandlers. The initial zone, then matching up m2m off underneath inbounds never made sense to me. A good opposing head coach can easily manipulate a matchup.

The other thing about this matchup. We didn't face teams in the ACC that wanted to run. There were only 3 teams in the ACC who ranked top 50 in tempo. As much as we say we want to run, we didn't face a lot of teams that wanted to run and we certainly didn't face a team that runs at Alabama's pace. Hard to adjust to it if you haven't seen it in live action.

I think a lot of this is traditional. UNC has always played a certain style on both ends of the floor. If they want to keep that because it's UNC fine, I'm not the coach, lol. But I will question if some of the traditional things are the best defense you can run. And that's where you need to dive into the film. Because everyone's going to have their narrative and belief of what will work and what won't.
Great points especially about the running and lack of teams running in the ACC. I can’t think of an ACC team that is up tempo. And especially Clemson, Syracuse, UVA slows it down. The more overmatched you are the fewer possessions you want and vice versa. Alabama thrives on having athletes and running, up tempo with as many possessions as possible. Which is maybe why it was foolish to try to run with them.

Like others have said - I don’t think Alabama is that disciplined or that interested in playing tough defense deep into shot clocks.

Great analysis. Appreciate the work in breaking it all down, especially with the gifs, to help illustrate the points you were making.

Frustrating that the drop coverage was getting torched all game and the adjustment on it came way too late.

Second half:
Miscommunication from Ryan and Cadeau. No screen set so not sure why Cadeau is calling for a switch. (GIF isn't working. Link below)

Trimble again leans to a screen allowing Estrada to reject it and go to the basket. Maybe the gameplan was make him go right. Trimble in fairness recovers well, but Washington overhelps. Practice 3.

Home run trot again. The inbound passer ends up making a 3. Loser basketball play. Celebrate less, get back on defense quicker.

Again, screen under the FT line. For me, this is a switch because the ball is so close to the rim. Especially with Estrada going left.

Bad transition D due to poor floor balance. RJ is underneath the basket. Also, Wojcik goes after a 0 chance offensive rebound for some reason. Leads to another transition 3.

Auto switch here for Wojcik. He's late and does a half-ass switch. (GIF not working, link below)

IMO, drop coverage is the wrong defense here. It either has to be a switch, or a hard hedge. Ryan should not be going over the screen either. He's automatically getting into a trail position. Switch or hard hedge and Ryan recovers going under the screen. You especially can't do drop coverage and let Sears get back to his left hand. Practice line layup.

This is why you switch late game. Miscommunication here on a switch. Bacot obviously was told no more drop coverage. So he's there to hedge at the least. Maybe Ryan misses the switch message, but this is why you switch all ball screens late game. Withers also late on the help, but since he was late, I'm wondering if Ryan missed the call to switch.
love and hate all of this…thank you!!

Unnecessary, this is only an antagonistic response. The only reason for this response is to stir the pot. Enjoy the information and let sleeping dogs lie.

Stop it I'm just joking trying to have a little fun. It's the off season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT