ADVERTISEMENT

Former Tar Heel Jason Capel Felt 'Disrespected' By UNC Tweet

There is a good bit more to the story that isn't being told fairly here.

Jason was recruited to play for UNC by Dean and Gut and Jason wanted to play for Dean but as we all know Dean stepped away and Gut took the gig (took a lot to talk him in to it, Gut did not want to be the head coach, he wanted to retire with Dean). When Gut stepped away, Capel did not take it real well, the 2 coaches he wanted to play for BOTH stepped away from the game and in comes Matt, who Capel knew little about. Matt was determined to wipe out the old and bring in his new version of Carolina basketball, this is well known how Matt made so many changes. But of those changes one of huge ones was to not retain any of the former staff, all former UNC players, bring in his own staff that had no former UNC players other than himself. Not at very least retaining Phil Ford caused a LOT of ill will right out the gate. But the largest problem was Matt's coaching "style".

Clearly Forte was a star but the problem was that Matt tended to point out the short comings of the rest of the players and pointed to Forte as the only real player on that team. Well as you can imagine, that pissed off that team toward Forte. Make sure I say this, it was matt that used Forte, it was not some Forte proclaiming himself to be great. Then out of the blue Matt would erupt at Forte, assume all have heard of the chair throwing incident.

Now Jason Capel, felt he was at least as big a star as Forte was, Capel was wrong about that, he was not as great a player as he felt he was. But being compared in a negative light for so long to Forte Capel formed a strong dislike for Forte, I can understand that. So yes, there was a lot of friction between the 2 but it was Matt that started that as a way in his mind to inspire his players, dumb for sure but that is what went down. Capel upset with Matt was to him as well to be upset with UNC as a whole.

When Capel left UNC he took issue with the school as well as the UNC fans for their supporting Forte more than him. Now of course Jeff fed in to that a lot with his UNC hatred and it just became one of those things that was never settled so over the course of time Jason's ill feelings about UNC as well as the fans ill will toward Capel has us where we are now.

Yes, how he handled this latest deal was not mature and he never really looked to clear up the situation either so I have no pity for him or his bruised feelings. I just wanted to share there was reason for those ill feelings that are not totally on Capel as cause.

All those words mean Capel is a whiny little bitch. Your story just states that the reason Capel is a whiny little bitch is because 2 70 year old men wanted to retire.

Thanks for making my point.

^In other words 99% of the things being said about him(Capel) are true. :rolleyes:

He's 43 years old, time to grow up. The "tough guy" routine didn't fit 23 years ago and it certainly doesn't fit him now.

He's exactly how Forte's described him, a soft pu$$y.
I am not sure how you can equate being pissed as being soft? I mean Jordan has had a issue with Barkley for over a decade now over something Barkley said, can you describe Jordan as "soft"?

I agree, the manner Capel acted out after this game shows a severe lack of maturity for a man that is one of the public faces of that Pitt program. I was just sharing some of the reason for the hard feelings, I am in no way justifying his words or actions after this game.

All those words mean Capel is a whiny little bitch. Your story just states that the reason Capel is a whiny little bitch is because 2 70 year old men wanted to retire.

Thanks for making my point.
First, I elected to do my reply to your post not to single you out but that what you said seemed to represent a lot of what was being said in a single post. Nor was I arguing with your position or justifying Capel's actions after this game. I simply wanted to give things some context to address why he was so pissed. The Forte/Capel riff, honestly if you don't tell the whole story then you are doing a diss-service to the discussion. I do not blame either Forte or Capel for that, they were both put in a really bad situation by a coach that was not able to handle the pressure of the job. And frankly, I am not really blaming Matt either, I blame those that hired him because they (Baddour) did not listen to what was widely known about Matt's 1 season at ND, Dean and Roy tried to tell him, Baddour refused to listen.

I don't really want to get in to much more of this (The Matt stuff), Matt seems to be in a really good mental space now and I am really glad to see it, the man does love UNC and the program and everything he did he true felt was for the best interest of the program, I will not agree they were in the best interest of the program but I do believe he felt they were needed changes that were for the best. It was just a situation where the man was put in a position that he was in no way ready for and the weight of the pressure crushed him.

Reactions: Archer2
I am not sure how you can equate being pissed as being soft? I mean Jordan has had a issue with Barkley for over a decade now over something Barkley said, can you describe Jordan as "soft"?

I agree, the manner Capel acted out after this game shows a severe lack of maturity for a man that is one of the public faces of that Pitt program. I was just sharing some of the reason for the hard feelings, I am in no way justifying his words or actions after this game.
One MAJOR difference, MJ had the game to back up his words/actions.

Capel's antics while at UNC are well known and mostly what I'm talking about. He was overrated and he was also butt hurt that Joseph Forte' was the top dog and everyone in AMERICA knew it. Forte' even went public with Jason's nonsense, which almost never happened between teammates.

Obviously Capel's crap ego and attitude hasn't gotten any better over 20 years later. If you want to sugar coat that so be it, I respectfully disagree.

One MAJOR difference, MJ had the game to back up his words/actions.

Capel's antics while at UNC are well known and mostly what I'm talking about. He was overrated and he was also butt hurt that Joseph Forte' was the top dog and everyone in AMERICA knew it. Forte' even went public with Jason's nonsense, which almost never happened between teammates.

Obviously Capel's crap ego and attitude hasn't gotten any better over 20 years later. If you want to sugar coat that so be it, I respectfully disagree.
Look, Jordan's game had nothing to do with their riff. Would you have looked at Capel any different had he scored more? I am not sugar coating anything, I am just speaking to what actually happened and have in no way justified Jason's lack of maturity on display the other night.

Reactions: Archer2
It absolutely amazes me that this topic even warrants discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT