ADVERTISEMENT

Geoff Collins New DC

Maybe UNC will, at least, beat Ga Tech next season!

I don't think that's a hire to take over when Mack Brown retires.
Me either but he had Top Defenses at both MSU and Florida in the SEC…Now he had to pretty much redo the whole roster when taking over at Ga Tech after Paul Johnson…He recruited a lot of the kids that are at Ga Tech this past year and they won a Bowl game…Will see how it goes but he is nothing like Gene…His Defenses are very aggressive…

I don't like it. Not a winner. Hasn't stayed anywhere long enough in one coaching position to learn much. Worst winning percentage of any GT head coach. I don't think the GT players liked him much either. Didn't like his depth chart system at GT.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Well, he clearly is not seen as a future guy to replace Mack... His GT teams were not good. But some guys, most actually are not cut out to be head coaches, some are just better at 1ide of the ball. He did have some solid defensive units as a D-cord, may be more of an attacking defense than bend AND break that we have had for to long now.

I don't like it. Not a winner. Hasn't stayed anywhere long enough in one coaching position to learn much. Worst winning percentage of any GT head coach. I don't think the GT players liked him much either. Didn't like his depth chart system at GT.
Soooo... that's one "No"... check!

Well, he clearly is not seen as a future guy to replace Mack... His GT teams were not good. But some guys, most actually are not cut out to be head coaches, some are just better at 1ide of the ball. He did have some solid defensive units as a D-cord, may be more of an attacking defense than bend AND break that we have had for to long now.
Look at Muschamp at USC and then at UGA. Of course, I'm sure it's easier when you have much better players at UGA than you had in Columbia!

Meh, I guess. As far as his head coaching record, I don't pay much attention to that. There are two types of coordinators, those that have never been a head coach and most likely will suck because most head coaches do or a bad head coach because most are bad. Being a head coach is a completely different animal.

Reactions: blazers
Several national sources like ESPN now reporting that there is a verbal agreement in place.

Apparently all that matters is what Mack wants. If Mack wants Collins to replace the sacred Mack, so shall it be. Amen!

For Collins to have success as DC, assuming he will be the same type DC he was in the SEC, we need a much more active, hard fighting, fundamentally sound DL and much better LB depth.

Reactions: blazers
To Mack: Cross or somebody else Mack sees as a friend who feels like Mack is his beloved mentor who takes care of him.
What’s your thoughts on the hire…He has no connection at all to Mack…Had some good defenses at both Florida and Mississippi State…Also rebuilt the Ga Tech roster after Paul Johnson…

Has ties to the recruiting in Georgia and also played college ball at Western Carolina…

It’s not a bad hire IMO…

What’s your thoughts on the hire…He has no connection at all to Mack…Had some good defenses at both Florida and Mississippi State…Also rebuilt the Ga Tech roster after Paul Johnson…

Has ties to the recruiting in Georgia and also played college ball at Western Carolina…

It’s not a bad hire IMO…
He was an aggressive DC. I like that. But I say above, what he is inheriting is a weak, soft DL that cannot do what he wants, and he has no LB depth. he must remold both the DL and LB rooms, for greater toughness, better fundamentals, moire heart and more depth. If that can't be done, he cannot have the same success at UNC he had at Miss St or UF. If he pulls it off, he likely will be HC somewhere shortly thereafter.

And the last post reminds me: Thig simply shows 0 ability to build LB depth. Does Collins have power to replace him? If so, the sooner the better for Spring.

Reactions: Xlance
He was an aggressive DC. I like that. But I say above, what he is inheriting is a weak, soft DL that cannot do what he wants, and he has no LB depth. he must remold both the DL and LB rooms, for greater toughness, better fundamentals, moire heart and more depth. If that can't be done, he cannot have the same success at UNC he had at Miss St or UF. If he pulls it off, he likely will be HC somewhere shortly thereafter.
I agree…I think the depth is there we just need to play the guys…Look at the freshman LB Amare Campbell this year…He played well in the Bowl game…He also stood out during the year when he was on the field…

I prob is beyond X&O's, for that reason I'm okay with this hire. We need someone with a higher level of experience across an entire program's spectrum and an ex HC with lots of P5 experience, including SEC, has that.

I agree…I think the depth is there we just need to play the guys…Look at the freshman LB Amare Campbell this year…He played well in the Bowl game…He also stood out during the year when he was on the field…

To have aggressive blitzing that does not leave your D gasping for breath in the 4th, you must play many LBs.

Word is only Warren has been announced as coming back on that side of the ball..Not saying people have been let go…Maybe Thig and Jones might be gone..

Dan Mullen at florida/miss st is an offense-guy, he's a former QB/OC. Jim McElwain too. So this means Collins was the main dude defensively at both of those stops. I like this more than hiring some DC who had been coaching under a defensive person (like the guy that was under Mike Elko for example... )

Last edited:
Reactions: Kool1234567
Dan Mullen at florida/miss st is an offense-guy, he's a former QB/OC. So this means Collins was the main dude defensively at both of those stops. I like this more than hiring some DC who had been coaching under a defensive person (like the guy that was under Mike Elko for example... )
I agree it could have been worst…Mack didn’t hire a buddy..

By now Key has learned that if he's struggling against UNC's D, just get the 2nd and then 3rd team QB in the game.

Word is only Warren has been announced as coming back on that side of the ball..Not saying people have been let go…Maybe Thig and Jones might be gone..
Ideal would be landing a true killer of an LB coach - not a recruiter, but a master of molding very tough old time LBs, and creating depth at the position.

Geoff Collins, or Gene Chizik back? Remains to be seen but I think this is a W.

i think it’s a good hire…proven track record as a coordinator, develops athletes, and can recruit…don’t underestimate the d-line hire to go along with this.

curious about scheme now…half the class is on defense…i know he’s aggressive and likes to blitz, so that’s positive.

i think it’s a good hire…proven track record as a coordinator, develops athletes, and can recruit…don’t underestimate the d-line hire to go along with this.

curious about scheme now…half the class is on defense…i know he’s aggressive and likes to blitz, so that’s positive.
It can be very good, as long as Mack will allow him to run the D. That means that if he says a position coach must be replaced, Mack needs to agree.

Reactions: gteeitup
Best I can tell it seems like we may have gone from soft bend but don't break, which of course seemed to always break to now to have more of an attacking style, thank goodness if that is true. Seemed a bit like our defensive staff was more focused on being a good guy than being a in your face, we are not here to play around disciplinarian. I feel like the difference has been for many years is that UNC's just does not consistently win the line of scrimmage pushed back on running plays and can't seem to get off their blocks on pass rush. To me that is problem #1 that has to be solved but that has been true now for how many decades?

Best I can tell it seems like we may have gone from soft bend but don't break, which of course seemed to always break to now to have more of an attacking style, thank goodness if that is true. Seemed a bit like our defensive staff was more focused on being a good guy than being a in your face, we are not here to play around disciplinarian. I feel like the difference has been for many years is that UNC's just does not consistently win the line of scrimmage pushed back on running plays and can't seem to get off their blocks on pass rush. To me that is problem #1 that has to be solved but that has been true now for how many decades?
Collins knew that at Miss St, for his D to be worth anything, it had to be aggressive. he required the Front 7 to be the types who have permanent motors and heart - or you did not see the field. I do not think he has guys like that waiting for him in Carolina bLue. he will find a bunch of very soft guys who like taking off a player two after a great effort.

I hope it works out for UNC. He is an egotistical snake oil salesman and will stab people in the back at UNC to get where he wants to go. He loves to tickle peoples ears and is soft as charmin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT