ADVERTISEMENT

going for two?

tarheelinfl

Hall of Famer
Nov 5, 2002
Just a football question in general, with an example from the AL-LSU game, when would you start going for wo points after a TD?
Bama was done 14-9, scored a TD with 12:37 left, went for 2 trying to go up 17-14, missed it 15-14! Is 16-14 so bad, score again and you can go up by 9! After LSU kick a FG to up 17-15, Bama scores again, 21-17 need to go for 2, don't get it. LSU scores, goes up 24-21, "bama kicks FG to tie it at 24. Those 2 pts not made from kicking the PATs would have made the FG a game winner, no OT?
Do you like teams, might be the 'heels, to "chase" points that early?
What say you? Sorry to use an SEC game for an example, but it was fresh in my mind!

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Not sure you can pick a hard and fast rule. There are so many things that go into that decision. Time left, score, momentum, how well your D is playing. how good your kicker is, etc. The only thing I would say is that I don't think it would ever be necessary before the 4th quarter.

If you have a greater than 50% conversion rate, then mathematically it would make sense to go for it every time. In reality it's a lot more complicated than that, but I'm surprised there aren't more coaches that go for 2 every time.

It didn't work very well for us vs. Clemson....
or LSU.

Last edited:
i’d go for two every single time…i also don’t believe in punting if it’s less than 4th & 4 unless i’m within my 35 yd line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT