ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Robinson is dead at 70

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
He was Mack's original choice for DC, Mack even introduced Robinson to several people in the athletics department as his DC. But a group of people somehow persuaded him to rethink that hire before it became a lightning rod.

Can someone refresh me about the implied controversy? When I saw the headline of his death, I knew that name rang a bell, but can't place it.

Can someone refresh me about the implied controversy? When I saw the headline of his death, I knew that name rang a bell, but can't place it.

My college roommate has worked for unc for over 30yrs. He emailed me “i was just introduced by coach brown to someone named Greg Robinson as the new dc”. But the hire never materialized for whatever reason. People say it was backlash from supporters over his age and lack of “pop”. Others claim he was just brought in by brown on an advisory role and was never gonna be the dc. He was introduced to several people as the new dc that evening fwiw. My friend saw it himself. What changed he has no idea.

Reactions: JimmyNaismith
My college roommate has worked for unc for over 30yrs. He emailed me “i was just introduced by coach brown to someone named Greg Robinson as the new dc”. But the hire never materialized for whatever reason. People say it was backlash from supporters over his age and lack of “pop”. Others claim he was just brought in by brown on an advisory role and was never gonna be the dc. He was introduced to several people as the new dc that evening fwiw. My friend saw it himself. What changed he has no idea.
Thanks. I didn't follow this closely. Well, hope his family is doing OK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT