ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting stuff (Cadeau, et al in ATL)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and this is not meant to step on @FlaTarHeel 's excellent thread --- he's got some great resource links posted, BTW --- these are just some up-close-and-personal observations to go along with it:

- As you may know, this is the frst evaluation week with full-tilt AAU in session --- Under Armour in AZ, Adidas in Omaha, and Nike EYBL down here in ATL. Anyway... I had stepped away from live events since COVID, so it was good to be back in the atmosphere. The new Lakepoint facility (north of town) beats the hell outta the other ATL facilities in past events --- more courts, more open viewing, easier to get back and forth.

- one of the coolest features was that, even though they had some reserved chairs at the ends of the courts if they chose, coaches weren't as segregated, and many chose to watch along side everyone else. Since most everyone there was part of the hoops world, HCs could hang out without being button-holed by fans, but some HCs readily mingled --- Forbes from Wake was quite gregarious, as was Juwan Howard (pretty much the oppposite of his court demeanor ;)).

- speaking of coaches, there was some speculation on various sites that, due to Portal priorities, there wouldn't be as many coaches out for the shoe tourneys this year. Yeah well.... so much for that ;)... I lost count at 26 HCs just here in ATL I knew by name (and several more by face). We walked in during mostly age-group games but first guys we see are a Big-10 contingent of Howard, Fran McCaffery (Iowa) and Holtman from OSU. Pearl from Auburn prolly got around to more younger age-group games than anyone --- say what you will, he works his ass off in cruitin'. And hell, once the EYBL games cranked back up, from the ACC alone I saw Forbes, Sheyer (and his dookie entourage), Tony, Capel, Jimmy Laranaga, Keatts and Payne.

- good reason for the conflageration of coaches --- we staked out an early corner-court-side spot for Cadeau's 3:30 game (pretty much right next to their bench) on Court 4, that also enabled taking a few steps back to catch Brown vs Fland on Court 2 -- schweet! With Hubert and Jeff in Omaha, Sean and Brad repped UNC in ATL, trading off between these two games that sucked the proverbial air outta the building . With all the HCs present, It was funny to overhear conversations courtside to the gist of "Carolina's got their guys so they can just sit back and enjoy", etc... :cool:

- As for Brown's game (Mokan), he was solid, but they have a lot of size to go around. Boogie (PSA) lit it up, but my first time seeing him live confirmed what I'd seen on video --- he's more Combo than Point. It's interesting that this game was the first time our staff watched him down here. Not sure what that means, if anything... if Cadeau comes out one would think we'd still be recruiting Fland for 24...

- Now..... to the main event. First, I had heard that Cadeau had basically recruited an AAU juggernaut to win Peach Jam. Well, lemme tell ya, that's no lie. NH Lightning may be top-to-bottom the most talented team I've ever seen --- like the damn '98 Yankees of AAU. Hell, they could prolly finish .500 in the ACC right now. They absolutely destroyed a very good GA Stars team, all the while making line changes. BUT... here's the thing: that is Cadeau's team. He is THE man and the rest of them know it. Folks, our guy was flat off the charts!

- so, funny anecdote: We're watching standing next to Jeff Capel (of all people), and It was my bud's first look at Cadeau (other than part of a HS game on TV), and he was blown away and at one point he sez to me (loudly) "you can sure see why all these studs want to play with him --- he makes everybody better" --- anyway, Capel overhears him and turns and looks at us with this (rather sour) expression of grudging acknowledgement as we nodded simultaneously.

- there was ample reason for grizzled basketball folks to be blown away. I imagine everyone here knows how tough I am on PGs. Yeah, well... there is no overstating just how special this kid is. Our friend @Geth said it exactly right --- Cadeau is generational good. Look, I've watched literally hours of his vid and TV games, but from my vantage point yesterday?... just wow! Both team's were going full-tilt transition and especially when he was coming at us, we had the on-court perspective and as an ol' coach/PG myself, I'm scanning the running lanes to anticipate where he was going with the rock... and guys? I'm still SMH at a few of those. Just an example: he grabs an outlet inside the far FT line and snaps an arched two-handed 3/4 court chest pass right at us --- with 3 defenders already back in decent shape, no less --- so in the split second I scan for the only feasible target, and it's a teammate who had just started his cut from his wide lane next to the friggin coach's box, and sure enough, it hits the guy in the hands in stride on a post-pattern for a dunk.

- what I'm telling y'all here is there was likely north of $100 mil in coaching salaries watching that game, along with other veterans of the scene --- had this been at an And-1 tour game, fans would've been falling out --- but even here, there were multiple folks looking at each other with "oh-no-he-didn't" expressions on more than one play. Hell, I even said out loud on one. "no way in hell he saw that" on a pass look. On one break he put extra mustard on the hot dog with a legit Pete Maravich (and I say that reverently) no-look reverse-wrist-snap in traffic.

- Look, he can play "loose" at this level, and of course will hafta tighten some things up in college, but this kid is ready NOW. After 3 possessions Brad could barely contain a sh**-eating grin, and for good reason. Just like the first time I saw Joel Berry in AAU, that's really all it took to know there's legit PG running things. EC has Joel's floor-control with Ed Cota's passing creativity. To put it in Marvel terms,. It was like Tony Stark loaned him an Iron Man helmet with Jarvis vectoring targets on a virtual display.

- Oh, and for the doubters, his backcourt running mate on NH Lightning is Bruce's 5* PG recruit (Petiford), who's smaller than Cadeau (who I can verify is a legit 6'1). However, like a certain returning UNC Guard. Petiford sees basket first and wisely is more than content to let Cadeau run the show --- and benefits by averaging better than 20pts/game (hint, hint).

- Finally, my bud had to bolt before Powell's game but I caught it on live stream. Our friend @Tarheel75 has been raving about his development, and man, he ain't kidding. Jackson is an exciting recruit for sure... but Powell is a straight-up beast!

Anyway, I can't speak for his intentions, but much of our portal recruiting makes no sense unless Cadeau is coming this season, and if he does, this is a NO-BRAINER --- GIVE HIM THE DAMNED BALL AND THE KEYS. No ifs, ands or buts. Then drill Carolina transition in camp til tongues hang out... done and done.

Last edited:
I tried to like this post a thousand times but it just kept turning on and off!

I have no doubt this kid will make freshman mistakes early on and may take a small period of time to get used to ACC play. But I also have no doubt that our team will be exponentially better with him running the show.

Great write up Gary. Thank you.

Last edited:
Great, great review Gary7.

I'm not in the ATL this weekend but my nephew lives there now and he's new to the AAU scene and a big Tar Heel fan(it runs in the family).
My info came directly from his tender eyes.
He's wet behind the ears right now but he will get there one day. I'm going to make sure of it.✍️

Thanks for the update and insight Gary…. From the way Hubert has worked the portal it seems there’s a high likelihood we’ll be Armando getting the ball where and when he needs it next season…. And I’m looking forward to it.

When you mention Boogie is a combo, it seems he’s still being recruited as a lead, likely to come in ‘24 to take over from EC… do you think that’s viable?

Thanks also for the input on Powell… speaking of ‘75 I haven’t seen any posts from him in a while.. is he still around?

Thanks for the update and insight Gary…. From the way Hubert has worked the portal it seems there’s a high likelihood we’ll be Armando getting the ball where and when he needs it next season…. And I’m looking forward to it.

When you mention Boogie is a combo, it seems he’s still being recruited as a lead, likely to come in ‘24 to take over from EC… do you think that’s viable?

Thanks also for the input on Powell… speaking of ‘75 I haven’t seen any posts from him in a while.. is he still around?
As I said, I'm not sure what the viewing patterns on Boogie means as to where we are with him, but what you stated would seem to fit the original idea.

As for 75, he has stepped back to lurking. All I can say is that some of the knee-jerk negativity on here toward the staff this past season put him in an awkward position after he was kind enough to share some candid insights from his perspective. As he tried to get across several times, there's a line between fair critique and malicious bashing that got crossed a bit too often.

...and this is not meant to step on @FlaTarHeel 's excellent thread --- he's got some great resource links posted, BTW --- these are just some up-close-and-personal observations to go along with it:

- As you may know, this is the frst evaluation week with full-tilt AAU in session --- Under Armour in AZ, Adidas in Omaha, and Nike EYBL down here in ATL. Anyway... I had stepped away from live events since COVID, so it was good to be back in the atmosphere. The new Lakepoint facility (north of town) beats the hell outta the other ATL facilities in past events --- more courts, more open viewing, easier to get back and forth.

- one of the coolest features was that, even though they had some reserved chairs at the ends of the courts if they chose, coaches weren't as segregated, and many chose to watch along side everyone else. Since most everyone there was part of the hoops world, HCs could hang out without being button-holed by fans, but some HCs readily mingled --- Forbes from Wake was quite gregarious, as was Juwan Howard (pretty much the oppposite of his court demeanor ;)).

- speaking of coaches, there was some speculation on various sites that, due to Portal priorities, there wouldn't be as many coaches out for the shoe tourneys this year. Yeah well.... so much for that ;)... I lost count at 26 HCs just here in ATL I knew by name (and several more by face). We walked in during mostly age-group games but first guys we see are a Big-10 contingent of Howard, Fran McCaffery (Iowa) and Holtman from OSU. Pearl from Auburn prolly got around to more younger age-group games than anyone --- say what you will, he works his ass off in cruitin'. And hell, once the EYBL games cranked back up, from the ACC alone I saw Forbes, Sheyer (and his dookie entourage), Tony, Capel, Jimmy Laranaga, Keatts and Payne.

- good reason for the conflageration of coaches --- we staked out an early corner-court-side spot for Cadeau's 3:30 game (pretty much right next to their bench) on Court 4, that also enabled taking a few steps back to catch Brown vs Fland on Court 2 -- schweet! With Hubert and Jeff in Omaha, Sean and Brad repped UNC in ATL, trading off between these two games that sucked the proverbial air outta the building . With all the HCs present, It was funny to overhear conversations courtside to the gist of "Carolina's got their guys so they can just sit back and enjoy", etc... :cool:

- As for Brown's game (Mokan), he was solid, but they have a lot of size to go around. Boogie (PSA) lit it up, but my first time seeing him live confirmed what I'd seen on video --- he's more Combo than Point. It's interesting that this game was the first time our staff watched him down here. Not sure what that means, if anything... if Cadeau comes out one would think we'd still be recruiting Fland for 24...

- Now..... to the main event. First, I had heard that Cadeau had basically recruited an AAU juggernaut to win Peach Jam. Well, lemme tell ya, that's no lie. NH Lightning may be top-to-bottom the most talented team I've ever seen --- like the damn '98 Yankees of AAU. Hell, they could prolly finish .500 in the ACC right now. They absolutely destroyed a very good GA Stars team, all the while making line changes. BUT... here's the thing: that is Cadeau's team. He is THE man and the rest of them know it. Folks, our guy was flat off the charts!

- so, funny anecdote: We're watching standing next to Jeff Capel (of all people), and It was my bud's first look at Cadeau (other than part of a HS game on TV), and he was blown away and at one point he sez to me (loudly) "you can sure see why all these studs want to play with him --- he makes everybody better" --- anyway, Capel overhears him and turns and looks at us with this (rather sour) expression of grudging acknowledgement as we nodded simultaneously.

- there was ample reason for grizzled basketball folks to be blown away. I imagine everyone here knows how tough I am on PGs. Yeah, well... there is no overstating just how special this kid is. Our friend @Geth said it exactly right --- Cadeau is generational good. Look, I've watched literally hours of his vid and TV games, but from my vantage point yesterday?... just wow! Both team's were going full-tilt transition and especially when he was coming at us, we had the on-court perspective and as an ol' coach/PG myself, I'm scanning the running lanes to anticipate where he was going with the rock... and guys? I'm still SMH at a few of those. Just an example: he grabs an outlet inside the far FT line and snaps an arched two-handed 3/4 court chest pass right at us --- with 3 defenders already back in decent shape, no less --- so in the split second I scan for the only feasible target, and it's a teammate who had just started his cut from his wide lane next to the friggin coach's box, and sure enough, it hits the guy in the hands in stride on a post-pattern for a dunk.

- what I'm telling y'all here is there was likely north of $100 mil in coaching salaries watching that game, along with other veterans of the scene --- had this been at an And-1 tour game, fans would've been falling out --- but even here, there were multiple folks looking at each other with "oh-no-he-didn't" expressions on more than one play. Hell, I even said out loud on one. "no way in hell he saw that" on a pass look. On one break he put extra mustard on the hot dog with a legit Pete Maravich (and I say that reverently) no-look reverse-wrist-snap in traffic.

- Look, he can play "loose" at this level, and of course will hafta tighten some things up in college, but this kid is ready NOW. After 3 possessions Brad could barely contain a sh**-eating grin, and for good reason. Just like the first time I saw Joel Berry in AAU, that's really all it took to know there's legit PG running things. EC has Joel's floor-control with Ed Cota's passing creativity. To put it in Marvel terms,. It was like Tony Stark loaned him an Iron Man helmet with Jarvis vectoring targets on a virtual display.

- Oh, and for the doubters, his backcourt running mate on NH Lightning is Bruce's 5* PG recruit (Petiford), who's smaller than Cadeau (who I can verify is a legit 6'1). However, like a certain returning UNC Guard. Petiford sees basket first and wisely is more than content to let Cadeau run the show --- and benefits by averaging better than 20pts/game (hint, hint).

- Finally, my bud had to bolt before Powell's game but I caught it on live stream. Our friend @Tarheel75 has been raving about his development, and man, he ain't kidding. Jackson is an exciting recruit for sure... but Powell is a straight-up beast!

Anyway, I can't speak for his intentions, but much of our portal recruiting makes no sense unless Cadeau is coming this season, and if he does, this is a NO-BRAINER --- GIVE HIM THE DAMNED BALL AND THE KEYS. No ifs, ands or buts. Then drill Carolina transition in camp til tongues hang out... done and done.
Thank you Gary for that very detailed information. That was a great read. Right when we got Drake Powell I posted that his frame, shooting stroke and movements reminded me of Michael coming out of High School. Now I will say it again that I don’t think he or anyone else will ever be MJ. Lol. Just that I saw some similarities with their games. Butter, Berry, Wilcher and Cadeau I thought were and are going to be very special in Carolina Blue. Cadeau is a complete game changer and I have said and agreed about that since we started recruiting him. Cadeau makes the game look so easy and effortless when he is out there on the floor. He is so fluid in his movements. He looks like poetry in motion. Gary did you hear any rumblings about what Cadeau is going to do as far as reclassifying? Also what is your personal opinion about what do you think he will do? I think that he is enjoying his final AAU outings and after that he will come early to Chapel Hill. Cadeau looks like he is genuinely having a lot of fun when he is playing.

Thank you Gary for that very detailed information. That was a great read. Right when we got Drake Powell I posted that his frame, shooting stroke and movements reminded me of Michael coming out of High School. Now I will say it again that I don’t think he or anyone else will ever be MJ. Lol. Just that I saw some similarities with their games. Butter, Berry, Wilcher and Cadeau I thought were and are going to be very special in Carolina Blue. Cadeau is a complete game changer and I have said and agreed about that since we started recruiting him. Cadeau makes the game look so easy and effortless when he is out there on the floor. He is so fluid in his movements. He looks like poetry in motion. Gary did you hear any rumblings about what Cadeau is going to do as far as reclassifying? Also what is your personal opinion about what do you think he will do? I think that he is enjoying his final AAU outings and after that he will come early to Chapel Hill. Cadeau looks like he is genuinely having a lot of fun when he is playing.
Well, as for Powell, I see a raw NBA-body explosiveness and his skills are now "growing into it", so to speak. He is a top-10 level talent. I can definitely see some Len Bias flashes and some Naz Little as well.

And yes, there are guys who are can't-miss game-changers. I knew what Butter was gonna be as a HS sophomore, and as most here know (too well, probably ;)), I said without qualification that Berry was the Floor General for our next Natty.

As for Cadeau's reclass, everyone is being close-mouthed about that. The "official" line is that he is waiting to see how he fares at Peach Jam. Honestly? I ain't buying it. He KNOWS how good he is (hell, just read his interview from yesterday). As I said at the end of the OP, our portal recruiting makes no sense unless we have this season's Floor General lined up --- and that sure as hell can't be RJ unless we want a slightly better reprise of last season --- so that's all I got to go on. And given the unsatisfactory way we've thus far approached one particular game-changer PG in the portal, I can only assume (hope) that EC is on the way.

With all that said, the JB thing brings up a cogent and cautionary point about Cadeau. Hubert CANNOT afford to repeat Roy's mistake (yes, mistake) of not starting Berry from day-one. There are no do-overs now like Roy got. In today's transfer environment. we'd have lost Joel, and would've deserved it. If Cadeau comes, GIVE HIM THE DAMN KEYS. PERIOD.

Well, as for Powell, I see a raw NBA-body explosiveness and his skills are now "growing into it", so to speak. He is a top-10 level talent. I can definitely see some Len Bias flashes and some Naz Little as well.

And yes, there are guys who are can't-miss game-changers. I knew what Butter was gonna be as a HS sophomore, and as most here know (too well, probably ;)), I said without qualification that Berry was the Floor General for our next Natty.

As for Cadeau's reclass, everyone is being close-mouthed about that. The "official" line is that he is waiting to see how he fares at Peach Jam. Honestly? I ain't buying it. He KNOWS how good he is (hell, just read his interview from yesterday). As I said at the end of the OP, our portal recruiting makes no sense unless we have this season's Floor General lined up --- and that sure as hell can't be RJ unless we want a slightly better reprise of last season --- so that's all I got to go on. And given the unsatisfactory way we've thus far approached one particular game-changer PG in the portal, I can only assume (hope) that EC is on the way.

With all that said, the JB thing brings up a cogent and cautionary point about Cadeau. Hubert CANNOT afford to repeat Roy's mistake (yes, mistake) of not starting Berry from day-one. There are no do-overs now like Roy got. In today's transfer environment. we'd have lost Joel, and would've deserved it. If Cadeau comes, GIVE HIM THE DAMN KEYS. PERIOD.
Totally agree about giving him the keys whenever he steps on campus. I’ve echoed the very same thing. I remember that recruiting class with Butter, Bullock and Barnes and I said that the most valuable player of those three was going to be Kendall. I don’t think that Hubert can afford to keep Cadeau on the bench at any cost. This past season went about as wrong as a season could have gone. That is my main concern. What does Hubert do with these new players and Team going into this season? I’ve always supported Hubert but I have to say that his in game coaching, lack of depth play and development, carving out roles and lack of disciplining his starters is very concerning. How we let other teams dictate tempo and their games to ours. Not being aggressive defensively or attacking teams that are trying to press us. Can’t imagine teams trying to press Cadeau. I know the game has changed to say the least but I remember Coach Smith telling my grandfather that a team could maybe match up with our starting five but what about our next five? Hubert says a lot of things and he hasn’t followed through with it. Hopefully this past season was a huge wake up call for him. That is why I think that he knows after this past season with being embarrassed and humiliated that as soon as Cadeau gets here that he HAS TO MOVE RJ TO THE TWO SPOT. I remember being so mad when Kendall got here and it took Roy so long to make the change from With Drew Two to Butter. Texas game especially. Same goes to your point when Joel got here in his freshman season. I was so upset then too. Just like this past season was so frustrating. I hope things change drastically otherwise….

Very well done Gary. I read it and had to log back on just to make sure I gave you the earned props brother.

Another name to keep an eye on.....Koa Peat out of Arizona? I believe. His recruitment has just started.

I'll leave you guys to it now.

Good to see a post from you ‘75…. Hope to hear more of your insight down the track

Thanks G-7 for the report!

I think we are fine with the team as it is currently constructed, but it is clear that we get to another level if Cadeau reclasses! He is generational indeed and I can't wait to see him as a Tar Heel, but I am fine with him doing what is best for him. I can see a benefit for him in staying in the next class and joining a powerhouse and I can see him making our current crop that much better! He wins either way, so I am willing to wait and support his decision!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT