ADVERTISEMENT

Have any of you emailed Bubba?

So why hasn't there ever been a school dominant in both basketball and football for a sustained period of time? All the basketball blue bloods suck at football.

Ohio State is pretty damn good at both.

There are very few schools that are dominant in either sport. As a matter of statistical probability it is unlikely that one school would be good at both, because there is a low probability of being dominant in either one.

There are very few schools that are dominant in either sport. As a matter of statistical probability it is unlikely that one school would be good at both, because there is a low probability of being dominant in either one.
But not dominant.

Again, there has to be some truth that great players want to play for Blue Bloods.

And the bolded part doesn't even make sense.

But not dominant.

Again, there has to be some truth that great players want to play for Blue Bloods.

And the bolded part doesn't even make sense.

Two unlikely outcomes is less likely than either individual outcome in terms of probability. The odds of being dominant at basketball is very low. Less than 10 out of over 200 schools. The odds of being dominant in football are very low. Less than 10 out of around 150 schools. The odds of being dominant at both is equal to those two probabilities multiplied by each other.

Odds of being good at football: roughly 10/150
Odds of being good at basketball: roughly 10/200
Odds of being good at both: 10/3000

Reactions: Archer2
That's why I mentioned the whole didn't want to come thing. Thanks for agreeing with me.

I wasn't trying to challenge your statement. I was actually agreeing with you from your back and forth with the other poster.

Two unlikely outcomes is less likely than either individual outcome in terms of probability. The odds of being dominant at basketball is very low. Less than 10 out of over 200 schools. The odds of being dominant in football are very low. Less than 10 out of around 150 schools. The odds of being dominant at both is equal to those two probabilities multiplied by each other.

Odds of being good at football: roughly 10/150
Odds of being good at basketball: roughly 10/200
Odds of being good at both: 10/3000

Except being good isn't a random thing like flipping a coin. Good teams invest money in their programs, coaches, and facilities. This isn't a chance situation.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
I wasn't trying to challenge your statement. I was actually agreeing with you from your back and forth with the other poster.

Except being good isn't a random thing like flipping a coin. Good teams invest money in their programs, coaches, and facilities. This isn't a chance situation.

It’s still highly unlikely even for the programs that invest money. No matter how you stack the probabilities, the odds of being good at both will always be significantly lower than the odds of being good at either one.

We just invested tons of money into facilities and a coach. Look where that got us

Ohio State is a fringe Top 25 b-ball team most years with the occasional team that gets a Top 4 NCAA seed. The Greg Oden team was an outlier.

Florida has the two nattys but otherwise falls into the same category.

To your point I think UNC football can be exactly what those programs are in b-ball - consistently in the back end of the Top 25 with the occasional years where they’re really good, and a rebuilding season sprinkled in every now and then.

Being dominant in both is a monumental ask. Being dominant in one and good in the other is more doable, but obviously still pretty rare.

Last edited:
It’s still highly unlikely even for the programs that invest money. No matter how you stack the probabilities, the odds of being good at both will always be significantly lower than the odds of being good at either one.

We just invested tons of money into facilities and a coach. Look where that got us
But for programs with pockets deep enough to afford both, why doesn't it work out?

But for programs with pockets deep enough to afford both, why doesn't it work out?

Because the probability is still low, even if you narrow it down to teams who invest in both. Lots of school invest significant sums of money into both. IPTAY spends a ton of money on clemson basketball. Clearly money is not the only factor.

I’m not saying that it’s not possible. Or even that we shouldn’t expect UNC to be good at both considering the resources that we have. But even for our basketball program, it usually takes a few “lucky” breaks to win a championship.

So why hasn't there ever been a school dominant in both basketball and football for a sustained period of time? All the basketball blue bloods suck at football.

There aren't that many dominant programs in either so it's not strange to me that there's not a school that is routinely dominant in both. There have been several schools that were very good at both at the same time. Schools like Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St, Florida, Stanford, UCLA, Oklahoma. We're not talking about being a top 5 team in both every year but a top 25 with some better years.

That's why I mentioned the whole didn't want to come thing. Thanks for agreeing with me.
He was never going to leave the West. I would have taken him perhaps even above Malzahn, who would have gone to the ACC, to UNC. But Chris Petersen would have left Mountain Time only for Pacific Time. In fact, I don't think he would have gone to SC or UCLA. I think he was determined to stay in the Pacific Northwest.

In hiring, you've got to know the coaches as people. Don't waste time on those who will not want to come to your state or region.

There aren't that many dominant programs in either so it's not strange to me that there's not a school that is routinely dominant in both. There have been several schools that were very good at both at the same time. Schools like Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St, Florida, Stanford, UCLA, Oklahoma. We're not talking about being a top 5 team in both every year but a top 25 with some better years.
You left out UCLA. Recently, Oregon has joined the club. It can be done at UNC. We require the right HC.

He was never going to leave the West. I would have taken him perhaps even above Malzahn, who would have gone to the ACC, to UNC. But Chris Petersen would have left Mountain Time only for Pacific Time. In fact, I don't think he would have gone to SC or UCLA. I think he was determined to stay in the Pacific Northwest.

In hiring, you've got to know the coaches as people. Don't waste time on those who will not want to come to your state or region.

No thanks on Gus.
You left out UCLA. Recently, Oregon has joined the club. It can be done at UNC. We require the right HC.
UCLA? They’ve been awful at both recently.

Reactions: lerario
minus the 12 or 13 straight national championships but that was quite a while ago

As lame as it sounds, we need to stack the schedule in our favor until we can win 10 games every year. 17 year old kids care less about tradition, and more about going to a school that wins. If we had sustained the success of 2015, we would have seen a dramatic uptick in recruiting regardless of schedule strength. I don’t mean playing 3 FCS teams, but we need to schedule OOC games that we are almost guaranteed to win. Just for a few years so we can rebuild the brand. It’s much better to be a winner that gets criticized for playing cupcakes than the team that plays a tough schedule and goes 8-4. Just my opinion though, I know many here disagree strongly

come on ticket, you have to be a real youngster to say that ucla has pretty mediocre for the large part of their bball history. got to give me that

certainly not to that level lerario but they've been in the top 25 several times since then. wouldn't call them a power house over the last 25 years though.

As lame as it sounds, we need to stack the schedule in our favor until we can win 10 games every year. 17 year old kids care less about tradition, and more about going to a school that wins. If we had sustained the success of 2015, we would have seen a dramatic uptick in recruiting regardless of schedule strength. I don’t mean playing 3 FCS teams, but we need to schedule OOC games that we are almost guaranteed to win. Just for a few years so we can rebuild the brand. It’s much better to be a winner that gets criticized for playing cupcakes than the team that plays a tough schedule and goes 8-4. Just my opinion though, I know many here disagree strongly
I'd have no problem with that. It worked for Baylor.

certainly not to that level lerario but they've been in the top 25 several times since then. wouldn't call them a power house over the last 25 years though.
I’d call them mediocre over the last 40 years outside of a few runs with Howland. Even more so in football.

I'd have no problem with that. It worked for Baylor.

If we run the table and beat Clemson in the ACCCG, then OOC schedule isn't going to keep us out of the playoffs anyways. In addition to padding the win column, if you schedule those games in the right places, we get extra prep time for the big conference games as well as extra rest for key players.

Ohio State is a fringe Top 25 b-ball team most years with the occasional team that gets a Top 4 NCAA seed. The Greg Oden team was an outlier.

Florida has the two nattys but otherwise falls into the same category.

To your point I think UNC football can be exactly what those programs are in b-ball - consistently in the back end of the Top 25 with the occasional years where they’re really good, and a rebuilding season sprinkled in every now and then.

Being dominant in both is a monumental ask. Being dominant in one and good in the other is more doable, but obviously still pretty rare.
Ohio St has 11 Final Four trips (1 vacated by the NCAA) and 1 NCCA championship. I think the only schools with more Finals Four are UNC, UK, UCLA, Dook, and KU.

The football version of reaching the Final Four is Major Bowl wins and Top 4 final ranking. If we had 11 Major Bowl wins and 1 National Championship in football, we'd all be giddy. And very, very few of us would ever defend the kind of record that Larry Fedora has delivered.

UNC football can be that good, but only with the right HC.

Why would you not take Gus?
Many UNC power brokers wanted no part of Malzahn, because he is a devout Southern Baptist. You can bet that Malzahn will be deliriously happy to put up 50 on another lousy Fedora team at the 2020 Chick-fil-a Kickoff.

Many UNC power brokers wanted no part of Malzahn, because he is a devout Southern Baptist. You can bet that Malzahn will be deliriously happy to put up 50 on another lousy Fedora team at the 2020 Chick-fil-a Kickoff.

Smh. Go figure. UNC would rather you abide by made up pronouns than hire a Christian coach that could potentially make us a national power house. If for some stupid reason Fedora is still the coach in 2020 I hope Auburn Georgia Tech vs Cumberlands us.

If his buyout is as humongous as some have stated($13 mil after this season), he’ll be around for a good while. Bubba should be tarred and feathered for giving him that kind of extension.

IOW, revel in every victory because things aren’t going to change anytime soon.

I’ll amend that by saying we had a better game plan yesterday. If we’ll play to our limited strengths, it will help us win more often. Getting all the suspended players back should help some too.

Yeah, from what I heard, Richt was considered too religious for UNC too. So sad.
The stuff you guys peddle is funny. Neither’s religious views come into play. We just didn’t get Richt. As for Malayan, he would never come here and he’s a loon. He gets by because auburn is dirty and gets elite recruits. But he usually chokes in big games. He’d be a carbon copy of fedora here. Big offense, marginal recruiting, bad defense, and head scratching losses.

The stuff you guys peddle is funny. Neither’s religious views come into play. We just didn’t get Richt. As for Malayan, he would never come here and he’s a loon. He gets by because auburn is dirty and gets elite recruits. But he usually chokes in big games. He’d be a carbon copy of fedora here. Big offense, marginal recruiting, bad defense, and head scratching losses.
I have no idea if you are totally clueless and ultra naive, or if you know you are shoveling it in defense of the seemingly endless stupid decisions regarding football made by UNC.

I have no idea if you are totally clueless and ultra naive, or if you know you are shoveling it in defense of the seemingly endless stupid decisions regarding football made by UNC.
This is the football genius that said this:
“Complaining about play calling is a surefire way to highlight your ignorance to football.“

Lol at you and conspiracy theories
This is the football genius that said this:
“Complaining about play calling is a surefire way to highlight your ignorance to football.“
You have shown time and time again to know jack shit about football

Says the guy who can’t construct a coherent sentence.
Listen little guy, you are influenced by your hatred of all things Fedora. It’s ok, I suppose. Not a good look, but it is what it is. Stick to hoops and stay away from the football hot takes. I’d also suggest you say away from questioning my intellect and/or mastery of the English language. You’ll always be bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I heard the admin didn’t like Richt because he liked relish on his hotdog, and then the straw that broke the camels back with Malzahn was that he only ate Jimmy Johns for lunch during the week. Then we landed on Fedora. That’s the truth I tell ya.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Listen little guy, you are influenced by your hatred of all things Fedora. It’s ok, I suppose. Not a good look, but it is what it is. Stick to hoops and stay away from the football hot takes. I’d also suggest you say away from questioning my intellect and/or mastery of the English language. You’ll always be bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Riiiiiight, “big guy”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT