ADVERTISEMENT

Heels are set for years to come at quarterback

mjrocks23

Sophomore
Feb 7, 2008
Drake Maye will be a great replacement for Sam Howell. In 2021, he will be a student of the greatest UNC quarterback of all time, and after Howell declares for the NFL Draft, Maye will inherit the position in 2022. Mack is quickly moving the Heels toward contender status.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Getting a year of learning the offense behind Sam will be huge for Drake's development. It also means he has a chance to settle into the rigors of being a student athlete without the pressure of being QB1. With the current red shirt rules he can get some game experience and still take over with four years of eligibility.

Reactions: Archer2
Fair point. Criswell could still be the next Vince Young for all we know

Sam, Ruder, Criswell and Maye. That’s one hell of a QB room. Not to mention that we will have Boaz and Hood playing other positions, but who can play emergency QB, if needed.

If our lines come together, we can win the Coastal in 2020, we have the skill position players.
I agree with that. Spring is primarily about the trenches, building depth and making certain the right guys are going to start.

Sam, Ruder, Criswell and Maye. That’s one hell of a QB room. Not to mention that we will have Boaz and Hood playing other positions, but who can play emergency QB, if needed.
If I am the QB, I love the thought of a 6-8 TE as a target.

If I am the QB, I love the thought of a 6-8 TE as a target.
Boaz was a great QB in high school and I hoped to see him get a shot at playing that position in college. But with all the talent at QB that we have on hand, it’s looking more and more like he’ll be playing TE. As you said though, that’s a nice weapon for the QB to have at his disposal.

I’m wondering if Ruder and Criswell will both hang around. Selfishly I hope so because we’ve seen how quickly You can be down to your 3rd string QB.

You can’t ever be caught short at QB, much like the PG position(one of the problems our basketball team experienced this season due to injuries).

Boaz was a great QB in high school and I hoped to see him get a shot at playing that position in college. But with all the talent at QB that we have on hand, it’s looking more and more like he’ll be playing TE. As you said though, that’s a nice weapon for the QB to have at his disposal.

I’m wondering if Ruder and Criswell will both hang around. Selfishly I hope so because we’ve seen how quickly You can be down to your 3rd string QB.
Let's not be so quick to put Ruder down to the three spot. There is no indication that he's not QB2.

I think that Boaz should get practice at QB, this summer and fall and through Spring. But I also think that unless he has hands of stone, his best shot at the NFL is at TE. You cannot teach or train, or steroid, 6-8. A 6-8 TE is a terror to all DBs and all LBs under 6-4, if he can catch passes that are thrown high. A 6-8 TE with good hands is as big a threat to foes on 3rd or 4th and short as is a 225 pound RB with 1000 yards rushing. And if he can move, even if just in straight lines, he can be a terror to DBs in the open field.

I think that Boaz should get practice at QB, this summer and fall and through Spring. But I also think that unless he has hands of stone, his best shot at the NFL is at TE. You cannot teach or train, or steroid, 6-8. A 6-8 TE is a terror to all DBs and all LBs under 6-4, if he can catch passes that are thrown high. A 6-8 TE with good hands is as big a threat to foes on 3rd or 4th and short as is a 225 pound RB with 1000 yards rushing. And if he can move, even if just in straight lines, he can be a terror to DBs in the open field.
I agree completely. He was a good basketball player too so I imagine he has good hands. He could be a real weapon at TE. If we add a dominant TE to the receivers we have, watch out. I was hoping Frits would be that guy.

I'm not sure how highly rated the QBs were during Mack's first stint in Chapel Hill (and this is not a knock on those guys either), but Howell, Criswell, Maye seem like an upgrade over Chuckie Burnette, Jason Stanicek, Mike Thomas, and Chris Keldorf.

I'm not sure how highly rated the QBs were during Mack's first stint in Chapel Hill (and this is not a knock on those guys either), but Howell, Criswell, Maye seem like an upgrade over Chuckie Burnette, Jason Stanicek, Mike Thomas, and Chris Keldorf.
We’ve got the skill players, it’s about the OL and the DL. Mack had those back then. We’re building them now.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Burnette was all-state but SEC schools showed no interest. Stanicek was wasn't all that highly recruited - he was from IL and I think he might have had 1 Big Ten offer and maybe Iowa State from the Big 8. Thomas was a big time HS athlete - star in basketball and baseball as well as football. I think he had football offers from Clemson, Tennessee, and a couple other SEC schools. He might have had an offer from FSU as well. Keldorf came from a Juco.

Burnette was all-state but SEC schools showed no interest. Stanicek was wasn't all that highly recruited - he was from IL and I think he might have had 1 Big Ten offer and maybe Iowa State from the Big 8. Thomas was a big time HS athlete - star in basketball and baseball as well as football. I think he had football offers from Clemson, Tennessee, and a couple other SEC schools. He might have had an offer from FSU as well. Keldorf came from a Juco.
Chuckie went to my high school and won 1 or 2 state championships, IIRC. But unfortunately never had great success at UNC. That was during Mack's early years so it was rebuilding mode.

I remember going to games, and Stanicek being a crafty little player, but just not elite. And I do recall that Thomas was a pretty big name recruit coming to Carolina.

Mack flipping Sam was HUGE, as Sam has far exceeded freshman expectations, and I'm sure the success he had last year is helping open up these other kids eyes to coming to the Hill.

Chuckie went to my high school and won 1 or 2 state championships, IIRC. But unfortunately never had great success at UNC. That was during Mack's early years so it was rebuilding mode.

I remember going to games, and Stanicek being a crafty little player, but just not elite. And I do recall that Thomas was a pretty big name recruit coming to Carolina.

Mack flipping Sam was HUGE, as Sam has far exceeded freshman expectations, and I'm sure the success he had last year is helping open up these other kids eyes to coming to the Hill.
I remember hype around Burnette and Mack signing him. And I remember that nothing got going under him.

Stanicek was one of those guys that many fans underrated, over and over. He left UNC having broken Choo Choo's Total Offense record. And I remember more than a few fans wanting him benched to play Thomas. When Thomas finally got to start as a SR, he threw about 18 or 19 INTs and lost a couple fo games almost by himself. Of course, back then Mack had not figured out how to run a top passing game.

By far although I remember hearing a lot about brunette and Thomas while in high and seemed like they were winners at that level just never developed into top qbs in college. Keldorf was a transfer who was at the time a big get for Mack and company again just never developed into much. Hope these guys live up to the hype.

He was 5'4" and couldn't see over the offensive line (kidding, kidding). That was during the Chuckie Burnette/Todd Burnett era where the defense was coming around but the offense was still pretty dreadful. We'd lose games like the one against Moo where they kicked a 54-yard FG to win 12-9. Ugh.

He was 5'4" and couldn't see over the offensive line (kidding, kidding). That was during the Chuckie Burnette/Todd Burnett era where the defense was coming around but the offense was still pretty dreadful. We'd lose games like the one against Moo where they kicked a 54-yard FG to win 12-9. Ugh.
Oh gawd, I remember listening to that game while I was mowing the yard. I nearly ran over my foot - accidentally - in disgust as that kick went through .

... I won’t be surprised if we lose one of them.
that is the norm nowadays -- good QBs will transfer rather than sit on the bench. i have to wonder if at some point an innovative coach will figure out how to use dual quarterbacks. does a true competitor really need to play every down to get in a "rhythm"? can leadership be share between two guys or does one guy need a monopoly? in the event of injury, are the benefits of having a second good QB with lots of game experience so insignificant? just asking...

Except for using a backup QB in the wildcat formation on the goal line from time to time, I think most coaches like to settle on a starting QB. Of course, you always want to get the backup some live games snaps whenever the score allows, and perhaps some time with the first team offense in practice.

I would imagine we’ll see Ruder get some burn this year if he stays healthy. If defenses assume he’s just in to run the ball he’ll torch them.

I would imagine we’ll see Ruder get some burn this year if he stays healthy. If defenses assume he’s just in to run the ball he’ll torch them.
Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is acting like these guys are going to come in and automatically jump ahead of Ruder. All the coaches said he would have played more last year if he wasn't hurt. I don't see anyone coming in and just jumping him. He still has plenty of talent.

Reactions: uncboy10
Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is acting like these guys are going to come in and automatically jump ahead of Ruder. All the coaches said he would have played more last year if he wasn't hurt. I don't see anyone coming in and just jumping him. He still has plenty of talent.

I’d give him his own package and run it at least once per half. It’s one more thing that coordinators have to gameplan for.

If we ran a goal line package with him as a running threat it also reduces the risk of Sam getting hurt. And in the event Sam picks up even a small injury, Jace would be ready to step right into the QB1 spot.

I remember hype around Burnette and Mack signing him. And I remember that nothing got going under him.

Stanicek was one of those guys that many fans underrated, over and over. He left UNC having broken Choo Choo's Total Offense record. And I remember more than a few fans wanting him benched to play Thomas. When Thomas finally got to start as a SR, he threw about 18 or 19 INTs and lost a couple fo games almost by himself. Of course, back then Mack had not figured out how to run a top passing game.
Stanicek was underrated. He was a very good QB, not elite, but very good.

I’d give him his own package and run it at least once per half. It’s one more thing that coordinators have to gameplan for.

If we ran a goal line package with him as a running threat it also reduces the risk of Sam getting hurt. And in the event Sam picks up even a small injury, Jace would be ready to step right into the QB1 spot.
I think this will be the M.O. this year, and I'm all for it. Jace could be deadly down on the goal line with his ability to both run and throw. And that's an area where we need improvement, getting more TD's out of red zone possessions.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT