ADVERTISEMENT

Heels getting Bahamas exhibitions again...

The fouls helped us with lineups, like having Nassir and BRob on the floor same time, length at guard! Goodness. And defense from those two at guard, Roy liked it!
As david is prone to say Andrew is going to be very solid. Coby could go off the charts. He sure does go-go-go. And can see the floor well. Seventh is growing as a player, he will be okay too, grew an inch and is bigger, stronger, just a little better handle and stay in front on D, so after a very sloppy (27 TO's) game I like what I see. It seemed everyone contributed. This team needs a bit more time to round out, but I am sure we'll come along nicely.

Reactions: DSouthr
The fouls helped us with lineups, like having Nassir and BRob on the floor same time, length at guard! Goodness. And defense from those two at guard, Roy liked it!
As david is prone to say Andrew is going to be very solid. Coby could go off the charts. He sure does go-go-go. And can see the floor well. Seventh is growing as a player, he will be okay too, grew an inch and is bigger, stronger, just a little better handle and stay in front on D, so after a very sloppy (27 TO's) game I like what I see. It seemed everyone contributed. This team needs a bit more time to round out, but I am sure we'll come along nicely.
Yeah, I would have liked to see us use a few more of those practice sessions we passed on. I understand why Roy did it but this particular team could certainly use them.

Do not be surprised if Roy sometimes subs five for five this year, we’re that deep with quality players.

Yeah, Roy will not like the TOs, yeah it was basically a scrimmage against a hodge podge team. But, we had 4 practices prior to this game and per Roy this trip was more about team building than a business trip. So you expect TOs, especially from guys with the ball in their hands the most. But I will tell ya what Roy will like, look at the hustle stats, steals/forced TO, and rebounds, look at the assists. Yeah, the rust was there and the inexperience within our system was there for the new guys.

7th did have 4TOs, he also had 3 steals, 3 assists, and 3 rebounds to go along with his 11pts, as well as the play of the game. Not a bad stat line for a kid that is..."not able to play the PG position" for us...

Coby did have 4 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steals to go along with his 16pts to help over come his 3 TOs. Not bad for another guy that can't play the PG position.

For the position, just between those 2 PGs, we had 5 steals, 7 rebounds, 8 assists, and 27pts? Toss on Baby Jets 3 assists and 2 TOs if ya want, it is a lot of production from our PG position and should some what ease the concern of do we have enough PG play from our guys that can not play the position...

My man Huff, had 8 rebounds, Manley had 13 boards, from our centers we had 21 rebounds! 6 big blocks from those 2 (3 each) not to mention Walker chipped in with what was it, 5 boards? Not bad production from our other position of concern.

Not going to read to much in to this, it was not a big gauge of what this team can do or will be, but it is more of a look than the speculation that has led up to this point. Point being, give this team and ALL its players the chance to develop, let things play out before closing the book on them, as a team as well as individual players. Joel and Theo are no longer there but that is the thing with the college game, they come in, they develop, and they move on and are replaced by kids that find a way to do what players of our past have done. The train continues to go down the tracks...

Great start to the new season - not going to read too much into an August scrimmage. Do want to see more 3PAs and makes as the exhibition season rolls on. As someone else noted, Cam will help there, but you have to have a couple credible threats from 3 on the floor.

I noticed Luke played short minutes. Was this beacause Roy knows what he has in Luke and wanted to use this time to evaluate others more? Or does Luke have any health issue that limited him to 10 minutes?

Anyone else think Sterling looked absolutely massive out there? He's got to be 7 feet tall.

Andrew also had a good game. He's morphing into a quality contributer in front of our eyes.

The forgotten man of this recruiting class, Rechon, very much looked like he belonged. He's very long and athletic, and he seems to play good defense. This kid has a high ceiling.
Yep, Sterling is a legit 6'11+ --- no stretching of the measurements there. And Leaky indeed has a chance to be a really nice player. As for Platek, that's not really morphing --- he's been good since he got here --- just growing into his logical next level. :cool:

Reactions: Golden Gate Heel
Yep, Sterling is a legit 6'11+ --- no stretching of the measurements there. And Leaky indeed has a chance to be a really nice player. As for Platek, that's not really morphing --- he's been good since he got here --- just growing into his logical next level. :cool:
I had zero doubts that Andrew could be a very good college player. He’s obviously gotten stronger and is more confident after a year in the system. Kid just seems to make the high percentage play routinely.

I'm guessing this team is pretty undersized. All of our big men are now in double figures.

I'm sure they are undersized but that doesn't negate the fact that Huff led the pack with our big guys. He didn't get a lot of attention last year. I don't think it hurts to brag on him, when he does well. I'm happy for him.

Last edited:
One advantage that Huff has over Joel James is that he isn't afraid of being strong. James always played like he was afraid of hurting someone - he was the epitome of a gentle giant. Huff just wants to dunk on people.

Reactions: Archer2
One advantage that Huff has over Joel James is that he isn't afraid of being strong. James always played like he was afraid of hurting someone - he was the epitome of a gentle giant. Huff just wants to dunk on people.
Well... I'll just say that if Huff had Big Joel's shooting stroke we might have us something.

Well... I'll just say that if Huff had Big Joel's shooting stroke we might have us something.
Oh wow... just watched the highlights. These poor guys were small even by HS standards...:eek:

Oh well, vacation and glorified practice drill. If we come out healthy it's still time well-spent.

Great trip for the team. A lot of bonding, a little basketball instruction, and good times for all.

I'm with you Archer. I always like when we go on these trips, it is a great opportunity for the guys to connect with one another outside of basketball which is especially beneficial this year with our new Senior leaders emerging and for the freshman to continue to build relationships and chemistry with guys on the team. It’s also a good way for them to relax, have some fun with each other and the coaches and to just enjoy one of the perks of being a college athlete.

After seeing the strong chemistry of our teams the last few years and them crediting their success in part due to their connection off the court, it has led me to believe that experiences like this are invaluable and do have a benefit that adds up over the course of the year. I am super excited about our team and really think that we have a great mix of guys that are capable of doing something special.

Reactions: itstartedwithmj
I'm sure they are undersized but that doesn't negate the fact that Huff led the pack with our big guys. He didn't get a lot of attention last year. I don't think it hurts to brag on him, when he does well. I'm happy for him.

I agree, I was very happy to hear that Huffman had a nice game today. Like you said even though it isn’t against that good of competition this performance will definitely give him some more confidence and something that he can build on as he continues to prepare for the season. Brandon's such a great kid and teammate too, I'm happy that he is a Tar Heel and am looking forward to seeing him continue to progress.

Reactions: itstartedwithmj
Yeah, this team today is apparently really bad --- heard somewhere they lost to a directional school by a million earlier. Lets hope our guys have fun and nobody gets hurt.
An intrasquad game of shirts vs skins would have been better competition.:oops:

But 'ol RW is a mastermind. The Berry, Pinson, Jackson era is over, time to develop new young men to carry the torch.

Reactions: gary-7
Roy said before the season started last year that Huff was "the best player on the team with the ball from 2 feet and in"...lol. I'm rooting for Huff as I do all the players, but him having the best numbers out of our bigs against the midgets we scrimmaged today means less then zero at this point as it pertains to him being a player to watch out for at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT