ADVERTISEMENT

House v. NCAA settlement - anti trust suit settlement near.

dtodd4475

Hall of Famer
Jul 17, 2005
Looks like the NCAA will avoid the expected 4 billion dollar pay out for athletes deprived of NIL earning from 2017 - 2021 by agreeing to pay 2.7 billion to them.

Even more substantial is the agreed future revenue sharing for upcoming seasons with athletes. It seems that a 20 million dollar salary cap will be set for power 4 schools to compensate athletes for choosing their program to play for. The 20 million or so cap being set as a percentage from the average revenue for those power 4 teams.

Last edited:
Looks like the NCAA will avoid the expected 4 billion dollar pay out for athletes deprived of NIL earning from 2017 - 2021 by agreeing to pay 2.7 billion to them.

Even more substantial is the agreed future revenue sharing for upcoming seasons with athletes. It seems that a 20 million dollar salary cap will be set for power 4 schools to compensate athletes for choosing their program to play for. The 20 million or so cap being set as a percentage from the average revenue for those power 4 teams.
That $20 million number is the most important. UNC can't afford to pay that while they're in the ACC.

That $20 million number is the most important. UNC can't afford to pay that while they're in the ACC.
UNC had 139.4 million in athletic revenue or thereabouts, so it would be a big chunk of thier athletic budget, Not great. Ohio State has the highest revenue at 280 million per year, that would only be like 7% of thier budget I think?

Players could still get NIL on top of thier salary from outside as well.

Last edited:
Just go to any sports news site. ESPN, CBS sports, Yahoo sports, Sports Illustrated, even Forbes, etc. Been out for a few days. The yearly salary cap I've seen at between 15 to 20 million. I thought yahoo sports did the best job explaining it in their article, used their info the most.

Last edited:
UNC had 139.4 million in athletic revenue right around, so it would be around 14% of thier athletic budget. Not great, but not that bad. Ohio State has the highest revenue at 250 million per year, they it would only be 5% of thier budget.
$139 million is not net revenue though. UNC doesn't have enough profit to pay out what they would need to if they wanted to keep up.

Frankly, I don’t give a damn. 18-21 year old mercenaries for hire with no allegiance to the university. We’re no better than all the other unscrupulous schools we’ve disparaged over the years. Most of you don’t seem to have an issue with it, you’re just worried that we can’t offer as much as schools like Alabama or Ohio State. I hardly missed a game for 50 years but didn’t watch a single game last year. That’s how disenfranchised I’ve become with sports. The only good thing is that I don’t worry about who comes, goes, or stays.

Reactions: UNC-75
The forgone conclusion that was the settlement in the losing case for the NCAA is finally being officially wrapped up in the House v. NCAA anti trust. Salaried athletes will be the the rule for the big boy programs. Salary cap set at the average big boy athletic revenue, schools options if they want to pay up to that cap in salaries. 2.7 billion to the plantiffs who were denied access to the free market after the 4 year delay in changing over, saves the NCAA about 1.3 to 1.8 billiob more probably with the settlement for the NCAA now. If they refuse and delay again could be upward of 20 billion when they lose.

Only question is if this will help the NCAA with the other anti trust suits still working down the judicial system, since the changes have been made. Contracts on the way. Unions not far behind.

Last edited:
Only thing worse than the national collegiate athletic association is a national congressional athletic association.

/politicalrant

Only thing worse than the national collegiate athletic association is a national congressional athletic association.

/politicalrant
That is what the NCAA is hoping for in the next step to circumvent the judicial system to some extent. This has not been Congress, they have stayed out so far, this has been lawsuits.

The Big four will most likely break away fairly soon, run thier billion dollar athletic revenue businesses and all the rest of the schools will play more like a division 2 or 3 type tier. The non revenue sports may gravitate to there eventually.

Title IX is a big question as well, gotta wait and see how that part shakes out.

Frankly, I don’t give a damn. 18-21 year old mercenaries for hire with no allegiance to the university. We’re no better than all the other unscrupulous schools we’ve disparaged over the years. Most of you don’t seem to have an issue with it, you’re just worried that we can’t offer as much as schools like Alabama or Ohio State. I hardly missed a game for 50 years but didn’t watch a single game last year. That’s how disenfranchised I’ve become with sports. The only good thing is that I don’t worry about who comes, goes, or stays.

I understand your opinions about this issue. I'm still watching the games, but it's sad to see what college sports have become.

So am I wrong in thinking this may be a good thing eventually? I'm thinking that we will start to put players under contract. Wanna play here? Sign a 4 year deal. At least there is a possibility of fixing the mess they call The Portal. The money? That paste ain't going back in the tube.

So am I wrong in thinking this may be a good thing eventually? I'm thinking that we will start to put players under contract. Wanna play here? Sign a 4 year deal. At least there is a possibility of fixing the mess they call The Portal. The money? That paste ain't going back in the tube.
I would think so, collective bargaining, etc. Players should be able to sign for a year, two, four, etc., I would think. NIL does not go away though that can be made individually above the salary cap.

The thing people miss is that the money was always there in correlation with the money the sport was producing for schools, networks etc. This is like arguing to get the money out of politics without seeing that the immense power politicians hold has a huge value and that's what drives the money. Take the power away and the money goes too. The only way to keep money out of NCAA basketball is to make it as irrelevant as NCAA fencing. If the money is going to be made, would you really argue that the players shouldn't get it?

If they are now employees, do they need to attend classes? Stay in good academic standing?

When I hire salesperson for my store, I'm happy if they want to take classes, but I don't require it. Why should a school's paid players have to attend classes?

Why should the player job be any different than other school jobs?

“House was focused on name, image and likeness issues, which is really just a small segment of the overall revenue that the NCAA and the conferences and their members are bringing in,” Broshuis told AP. “Our case is instead focusing on what would be the true free-market value of the services being provided by these athletes.”

Maybe, but will the best HS players agree to that? There will always be Cals and Ks willing to offer 1-year contracts.
The best players aren't the ones you need muti year contracts for. Even Cal said he only wants 8 players because he doesn't want to develop them for someone else. 3* 4* players who will be in school for multiple years are the ones you don't want to lose every year to transfer. The 1 and dones are gone anyway. One year contracts are fine for them.
We are getting ahead of ourselves though.

“House was focused on name, image and likeness issues, which is really just a small segment of the overall revenue that the NCAA and the conferences and their members are bringing in,” Broshuis told AP. “Our case is instead focusing on what would be the true free-market value of the services being provided by these athletes.”

I'm fine with it. When I was in school I had a job. My employer? The school. I don't see it any differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT