ADVERTISEMENT

How hot is Manny Diaz's seat?

I assumed that Mack and his staff handed Justin Fuente another year, but David Teel is saying that Fuente is as good as gone.

If so, we can gage how nuts Hokies boosters have become. Wanting to poach Beamer fils from SoCar would be a sure sign of insanity.

If I were on the hiring committee for VT, I'd have Billy Napier on a short list. Unlike Fuente he has ACC experience and time under Nick Saban.

But the Beamer name still carries some magic in Blacksburg.

But the Beamer name still carries some magic in Blacksburg.
It does, but would you risk handing your program, that now is struggling, to Shane Beamer? Other than 5 years under Frank when VT was in definite decline, Shane has spent most of his career as an SEC assistant. Not a major SEC coordinator but a position coach and RC. Then he was AHC at Oklahoma.

If Shane Beamer were to go to VT and fail, the blow might doom VT football for another decade.

I assumed that Mack and his staff handed Justin Fuente another year, but David Teel is saying that Fuente is as good as gone.

If so, we can gage how nuts Hokies boosters have become. Wanting to poach Beamer fils from SoCar would be a sure sign of insanity.

If I were on the hiring committee for VT, I'd have Billy Napier on a short list. Unlike Fuente he has ACC experience and time under Nick Saban.
The turkeys were salivating over Tony Elliot and Tom Herman Last year. They think Elliot can come in and dominate in state recruiting. Mack dominating in-state and Va will keep the turkeys second rate.

The turkeys were salivating over Tony Elliot and Tom Herman Last year. They think Elliot can come in and dominate in state recruiting. Mack dominating in-state and Va will keep the turkeys second rate.
Elliott has more than enough problems this year at Clemson. His offense looks far worse than Longo's.

I have warned about Elliott before. He did not design that basic Clemson offense; Chad Morris did. Nor did he take over when Morris left and run it all on his own. Elliott was co-OC, and especially early on, it seemed that Jeff Scott was the 'senior' co-OC, the one who made the game plans and the in-game adjustments. Scott left to be USF HC for 2020. So this season is the second in which Elliott is the sole Clemson OC, and the Clemson offense looks as slow, predictable and easily contained as any I can recall. It looks clueless much of the time and lifeless part of the time.

Herman was very good as Houston HC, and unlike Charlie Strong he actually had winning seasons at Texas. Herman also was 4-0 in bowls at Texas. I do think he's a good bet to be a top HC in a Major conference. But why would he want to go to VT?

Herman was a grad assistant at Texas under Mack. If Mack is ready to can Longo, I say he should reel in Herman as OC and tell him that if everything goes to plan, the UNC HC job would be his before long.

Elliott has more than enough problems this year at Clemson. His offense looks far worse than Longo's.

I have warned about Elliott before. He did not design that basic Clemson offense; Chad Morris did. Nor did he take over when Morris left and run it all on his own. Elliott was co-OC, and especially early on, it seemed that Jeff Scott was the 'senior' co-OC, the one who made the game plans and the in-game adjustments. Scott left to be USF HC for 2020. So this season is the second in which Elliott is the sole Clemson OC, and the Clemson offense looks as slow, predictable and easily contained as any I can recall. It looks clueless much of the time and lifeless part of the time.

Herman was very good as Houston HC, and unlike Charlie Strong he actually had winning seasons at Texas. Herman also was 4-0 in bowls at Texas. I do think he's a good bet to be a top HC in a Major conference. But why would he want to go to VT?

Herman was a grad assistant at Texas under Mack. If Mack is ready to can Longo, I say he should reel in Herman as OC and tell him that if everything goes to plan, the UNC HC job would be his before long.
Sounds like a plan.

Diaz appears to be safe, at least to return for 2022. Supposedly the AD agrees that Miami is accumulating talent and until Miami gets its football funded, it will be difficult hire a decidedly better coach than Diaz.

Miami with the right staff could amass massive amounts of talent and start winning at least 10 games per year, for many years.

Diaz has probably saved Miami some coin with a couple recent wins. As far as Elliott from Clemson? I assume he will get a head coaching job in the near future. But they are wrong if they think they will be hiring a dynamic recruiter. He isn't. He is as smart as they come at calling plays. But as this year proves, a coach can call whatever he wants, but if the players don't execute properly, it doesn't matter. It's all about talent, and this year Clemson is just having one of those years where nothing is working and they are too young.

The Canes loss to FSU, which featured some Fedora-style poor clock management, has reignited the fire under Diaz's seat. Canes fans who want him fired tend to stress that all that young talent should not be wasted.

Miami fires AD Blake James. I assume that is so that the new AD can fire Diaz.

Right now, in his 3rd season at Miami, Diaz is 19-15. Right now in his 3rd season at UNC, Mack Brown is 20-15. Both are 5-5 this season.

The Canes loss to FSU, which featured some Fedora-style poor clock management, has reignited the fire under Diaz's seat. Canes fans who want him fired tend to stress that all that young talent should not be wasted.
I suppose they may run Diaz. Especially without his AD to run cover for him. But Miami isn't going to attract a top shelf coach. And Miami football changed when they tore the old Orange Bowl down. No matter how hard they try, it isn't "The U" anymore.

I suppose they may run Diaz. Especially without his AD to run cover for him. But Miami isn't going to attract a top shelf coach. And Miami football changed when they tore the old Orange Bowl down. No matter how hard they try, it isn't "The U" anymore.
Miami's GREAT mistake was years ago, by insulting Mario Cristobal. Cristobal was a better choice than Randy Shannon even back then. Part of the pro-Shannon crowd developed a hostility to Cristobal as part of their defense of backing Shannon. Those people continued their rejection of Cristobal when Shannon was fired, even though Cristobal had led FIU to its first ever winning season and 1st bowl and bowl win.

You are right as rain about the Orange Bowl. It was a dump, but was about 7 miles from campus and was electric when Miami was good and drew a large crowd. That new Dolphins stadium is nothing like it. It's a dead zone.

With Shannon, Miami was trying to play the race card. Figured he would redevelop that recruiting pipeline with the inner city that worked so well for them in the 80s. Didn't work, but they thought hiring a black guy was the solution to their problems

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT