ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Huss’ Tony Davis the center of college football recruiting battle

DF1972

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2006
http://www.gastongazette.com/sports...-center-of-college-football-recruiting-battle

2019 early enrollee-CB or S,special teams
Junior defensive back has committed to Duke but has been the source of attention from several other colleges

But college coaches from several major colleges have passed through the halls at Huss with more frequency than anyone can remember.

East Carolina head coach Scottie Montgomery recently came to a basketball game while head coaches David Cutcliffe (Duke), Larry Fedora (North Carolina) and Dave Doeren (N.C. State) have visited the school in the last few weeks.

They reflect Davis’ offers that range from those four schools to Virginia Tech, Old Dominion, Syracuse, Charlotte, Notre Dame and Vanderbilt.

Davis has yet to make one of the five official visits he’s allowed by NCAA rules but plans to visit Duke and four other schools sometime this spring.

“It’s kind of intense right now,” Davis said. “I like a whole bunch of schools and all of these coaches coming to visit are making me think about my future. But I really do like Duke a lot, too.”

A 6-foot-2, 185-pounder, Davis is a two-time All-Gazette selection who started at Huss at quarterback as a freshman before switching to defensive back. A speedy, elusive runner and sure tackler, college recruiters project Davis as either a shutdown pass coverage cornerback or a sure-tackling free safety.

After rushing for 266 yards and passing for 376 yards as a quarterback in his first two seasons with the Huskies, Davis has become a huge defensive playmaker in the last two years; He has made 52 tackles, intercepted seven passes and deflected 21 others while scoring 12 touchdowns.

Davis has returned kickoffs, punts and interceptions for scores - and had several others called back by penalty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News