ADVERTISEMENT

I shocked Dabo's older brother

strummingram

Hall of Famer
Oct 1, 2010
Living in the Clemson area, I'm obviously around everything Tigers.

I go into the UPS store in nearby Seneca to drop off some shipments. I'm wearing a UNC T-shirt (as usual), and this guy wearing an All-In shirt and Tiger Paw ball cap in front of me says "Oh, no! Not a Tar Heels fan!" Then he introduced himself as "My younger brother is the coach." I said "You're Swinney's brother?"... Yep. I said, is your butt unpuckered yet? He said "Man, you don't want to know. I thought y'all were going to beat us. I still can't believe we left there with the win."

Csb

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Does his bro work for the team or university?
We didn't really talk about his profession or anything. Besides the game , I asked if they were all from Alabama, and He told me that they were all from Pelham Alabama. And he was there with some bags of comfort food and cartons of cigarettes to send to somebody who was in rehab. Or at least that's what he told me.

It didn't take very long before everybody in the whole place realized who he was and then it all turned into kind of a celebrity thing or near celebrity kind of thing. I kind of wondered if he was using every opportunity possible to advertise who he is and who is brother is. Or, rather, who he is based on who his brother is LOL

This lady behind us really started pouring it on thick. "Well... I went to Maryland, so just feel sorry for me. But, please tell your brother that he should be proud of what he's doing for that school."

The SCHOOL? GMAFB...

I'm sure tuition is going up every year.

This lady behind us really started pouring it on thick. "Well... I went to Maryland, so just feel sorry for me. But, please tell your brother that he should be proud of what he's doing for that school."

The SCHOOL? GMAFB...

I'm sure tuition is going up every year.
Studies have shown that applications to schools increase after a championship. Theoretically that means better students apply, which makes for a better overall student body. That leads to higher school rankings. So he can help the school indirectly.

Studies have shown that applications to schools increase after a championship. Theoretically that means better students apply, which makes for a better overall student body. That leads to higher school rankings. So he can help the school indirectly.
Well, that's good news! I will sleep better knowing that. I should have asked him why he settled for a paltry 93 million dollar contract.

Clemson's campus has blown up since the football team started this run. New student housing, a new business school building, a second student center/bookstore, and major renovations to several existing buildings have been started or completed just in the time that I've been here.

There's also a ton of new high rise off campus student housing behind downtown to account for the surge in numbers.

Clemson's campus has blown up since the football team started this run. New student housing, a new business school building, a second student center/bookstore, and major renovations to several existing buildings have been started or completed just in the time that I've been here.

There's also a ton of new high rise off campus student housing behind downtown to account for the surge in numbers.
I was with some friends at The Mellow Mushroom about 2 weekends ago, and they have been in Seneca/Clemson since 1976. It's going to require some major road/highway allocation soon. I hope someone is planning access while they are building all of this, everywhere they can.

I was with some friends at The Mellow Mushroom about 2 weekends ago, and they have been in Seneca/Clemson since 1976. It's going to require some major road/highway allocation soon. I hope someone is planning access while they are building all of this, everywhere they can.

I guess they could widen 176 but there's not a lot more that can be done to get people out of town on Saturdays from what I can tell. I guess they could widen the road that goes out the back side of campus by the golf course. But that still feeds into 176 so it wouldn't really do any good.

I guess they could widen 176 but there's not a lot more that can be done to get people out of town on Saturdays from what I can tell. I guess they could widen the road that goes out the back side of campus by the golf course. But that still feeds into 176 so it wouldn't really do any good.
I was living in Charlotte back in '95- the Panthers first season, played at Death Valley. I remember hearing stories about it taking 6-8 hours to get back to Charlotte.

Reactions: uncboy10
I was living in Charlotte back in '95- the Panthers first season, played at Death Valley. I remember hearing stories about it taking 6-8 hours to get back to Charlotte.

If the campus was closer to 85 you could get people on the highway and moving a lot faster. But getting off campus is a nightmare. If you have a DD then you might as well just hit the bars downtown and wait for it to clear out.

They should get the buses off the road. That should solve the problem.

Nah they’ve got a church for that. If you believe the stories
There are churches like that everywhere. I first learned it from the last big Bama scandal, which centered around a DT named Albert Means from Memphis. My veterinarian at the time was a low level Bama booster who knew all the major players as far as SEC recruiters and boosters in TN.

The booster who took the fall in that case was a Bama guy named Logan Young, who later was found mysteriously dead, with no investigation following. What my Vet said when he told me the whole story, which came after a HS coach was fired, is that illegal recruiting in black areas is always run through churches, making the payments tax deductible. That church gets a cut for its work and then passes the rest on to the player's family and his HS coaches. One Memphis HS was linked to such pay for play for 8 or 10 players that signed with an SEC school (others also apparently got paid small amounts to sign by Memphis and even 1AA/FCS schools like Tennessee St and Jackson St). An honest assistant (Lynn Lang sounds familiar) at that Memphis HS school broke the code of silence after an honest black pastor told him that such illegal activity was treating minors with football/basketball skills as if they were commodities to be bought and sold - like slaves.

My Vet said that Means' family had collected money that way since he was a Soph in HS, from Tennessee boosters. It all hit the fan when Means signed with Bama, and then the word got out that Bama boosters had paid into the same system for Means, which meant Mean's family and HS HC got double payments. And that infuriated the Vols boosters, who called the SEC and NCAA offices and told on Bama for cheating, and then pulled every string they could to have TN newspapers cover Bama illegal recruiting in TN.

Allegedly, Vols boosters admitted to NCAA investigators that they participated in illegal payments, but because the player signed with Bama, Tennessee did not get probation. Kentucky got put on probation at the same time for payments to players at the same HS - TN also had paid for one of those UK signees and then when they lost him, the Viols squealed to the NCAA about that too.

Yes, I assume that Cam Newton's daddy is a preacher who takes the money and launders it. He was adept at the game long before Cam signed with Florida.

Does his bro work for the team or university?
Tracy is a retired Alabama state trooper who runs security for Dabo now full-time. Not sure who pays his salary but he does all the pre-scouting of locations, bus routes, plus personal security.

Nah they’ve got a church for that. If you believe the stories
Please quit perpetrating that lie made up by jealous UofSC fans. The church they love to talk about has about 10 different locations across the state of South Carolina with multiples in and around Columbia, as well as the Upstate and Lowcountry. We may be doing some shady stuff but so far there's been no one who can come up with anything credible, especially the church. There are just as many UofSC fans that attend Newspring Church across South Carolina as Clemson fans so if you really believe that money is being funneled through there with no one finding out then you're just as delusional as said UofSC fans. You're better than them though so I would imagine you can think logically for yourself and not just spout off their jealous gibberish. I guess in a way we're just now starting to experience some of the jealousy you guys have faced for years in hoops. Great atmosphere in Kenan the other week, thought you guys were gonna break our hearts. I do believe if Sam continues to develop at the pace he's going we could still see you again in December. Good luck the rest of the way.

Please quit perpetrating that lie made up by jealous UofSC fans. The church they love to talk about has about 10 different locations across the state of South Carolina with multiples in and around Columbia, as well as the Upstate and Lowcountry. We may be doing some shady stuff but so far there's been no one who can come up with anything credible, especially the church. There are just as many UofSC fans that attend Newspring Church across South Carolina as Clemson fans so if you really believe that money is being funneled through there with no one finding out then you're just as delusional as said UofSC fans. You're better than them though so I would imagine you can think logically for yourself and not just spout off their jealous gibberish. I guess in a way we're just now starting to experience some of the jealousy you guys have faced for years in hoops. Great atmosphere in Kenan the other week, thought you guys were gonna break our hearts. I do believe if Sam continues to develop at the pace he's going we could still see you again in December. Good luck the rest of the way.

It was a joke

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT