ADVERTISEMENT

I'm gonna be that guy

truetarheelraider0806

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2016
I don't want to hear about premium on seeing recruits silver is a high 4 star or 5 star talent on every other service and rivals sees fit to keep him a 3 star? Then use the caveat close to 4th star?? I don't want to hear anything about there not being a bias anymore... rara a 3 star.... pulease if he had committed to Bama he would be a high 4 star or 5... no bias my butt...

Reactions: uncfootball-
I don't want to hear about premium on seeing recruits silver is a high 4 star or 5 star talent on every other service and rivals sees fit to keep him a 3 star? Then use the caveat close to 4th star?? I don't want to hear anything about there not being a bias anymore... rara a 3 star.... pulease if he had committed to Bama he would be a high 4 star or 5... no bias my butt...

Did you know that Ra Ra, a 3-star on Rivals and 4-star on 247, is actually rated higher on Rivals than on 247? State ratings are a truer indication of how a player is viewed and he's No. 14 in NC on Rivals and No. 15 on 247. Not all 4s or 3s are alike, as this indicates.

Rivals simply doesn't hand out as many 4s as other sites do, but it doesn't diminish its evaluation. There are cases, Tony Grimes as an example, where a player is a 5-star on Rivals but a 4 on 247. Does that diminish 247's evaluation? No, of course, not. Smart analysts can have different takes on players, teams, etc.

We reserched the last three classes since Mack was hired to find out what the numbers are, not to make a point, because we had no clue what we were going to uncover, but to find out what the raw numbers say. Well, we did, and you may be a bit surprised.

https://northcarolina.forums.rivals...s-breakdown-comparing-rivals-247sports.76197/

I read your breakdown and understand your point. I am just programed to see a 3 star as a good player, 4 star as a great player and 5 star as an elite player. At the end of the day the number of stars is irrelevant.. all that matters is how the player develops. Of course the higher the player is ranked the better chance he plays at a high level. I guess it just makes me feel better to see more stars beside a UNC commit.

Reactions: andrew jones
@andrew jones

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

Your tanking in 247 are off rara for example is 13 not 15 and is squarely in 4* at 91

Tony grimes is a 99 and squarely soley a 5* ots
Forget Silver Ll the 4 stars are ranked higher and given higher grades on 247 and ESPN than rivals it does look like there is a discrepancy in who the kids commit to. And to be clear I am not upset with thi I know you guys don't control the rankings. Maybe the corona shut down has finally gotten to me... but there is a pretty big difference in the rankings

@andrew jones

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

Your tanking in 247 are off rara for example is 13 not 15 and is squarely in 4* at 91

Tony grimes is a 99 and squarely soley a 5* ots
Forget Silver Ll the 4 stars are ranked higher and given higher grades on 247 and ESPN than rivals it does look like there is a discrepancy in who the kids commit to. And to be clear I am not upset with thi I know you guys don't control the rankings. Maybe the corona shut down has finally gotten to me... but there is a pretty big difference in the rankings

Ra Ra is No. 14 in the state on Rivals and No. 15 on 247. Whether he's a 3 or a 4-star should not matter, it's the actual ranking of the player that should matter more to you. I only pointed out Grimes because some people are so hung up on star ratings.

Look, we didn't do this research to discredit the critics and defend Rivals, we did it so we could gather actual data, which would then help us understand what the deal is. You're suggesting there's a clear discrepency but the facts we have presented, which are acurate, indicate there is no across-the-board discrepency. Yes, there are differences in where the networks have kids - some are higher on Rivals and some are higher on 247Sports.

In addition, the ratings process hasn't concluded. It will in a year from now, so wait and see what happens with some of these kids.

Ra Ra's 247 bio - https://247sports.com/Player/Raneiria-Dillworth-46081550/

Andrew.. correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are saying something like this.

Suppose you took a test and got 9 out of 10 right.. on a typical 7 point scale that grade would be a "B"

On a 10 point scale that grade would be an "A"

Still received a 90 but graded different based on the scale.

So the recruiting services are fairly close on evaluating players but for lack of a better word they have different "scale" for giving stars.

Reactions: andrew jones
Andrew.. correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are saying something like this.

Suppose you took a test and got 9 out of 10 right.. on a typical 7 point scale that grade would be a "B"

On a 10 point scale that grade would be an "A"

Still received a 90 but graded different based on the scale.

So the recruiting services are fairly close on evaluating players but for lack of a better word they have different "scale" for giving stars.

From what I know that's how I see it. And my intent here isn't to suggest one way is better than the other, either. We have two services that do good work and have some slight differences, in the broad scheme of things. Some of the differences are considerable - Silver one way and Boykins the other. But for the most part, one of the things I thought was interesting we learned today was how similar the rankings really are when you look at each of the 62 HS commits Mack has landed.

Also, and UNC fans should be most excited about this, is people are squabbling over the Keeshawn Silvers and DeAndre Boykins of the world. It wasn't too long ago when UNC would have sturggled landing either.

Ra Ra is No. 14 in the state on Rivals and No. 15 on 247. Whether he's a 3 or a 4-star should not matter, it's the actual ranking of the player that should matter more to you. I only pointed out Grimes because some people are so hung up on star ratings.

Look, we didn't do this research to discredit the critics and defend Rivals, we did it so we could gather actual data, which would then help us understand what the deal is. You're suggesting there's a clear discrepency but the facts we have presented, which are acurate, indicate there is no across-the-board discrepency. Yes, there are differences in where the networks have kids - some are higher on Rivals and some are higher on 247Sports.

In addition, the ratings process hasn't concluded. It will in a year from now, so wait and see what happens with some of these kids.

Ra Ra's 247 bio - https://247sports.com/Player/Raneiria-Dillworth-46081550/
I stand corrected when I looked st the official state rank for unc he is indeed 15 not 13 13 is the composite

Did you know that Ra Ra, a 3-star on Rivals and 4-star on 247, is actually rated higher on Rivals than on 247? State ratings are a truer indication of how a player is viewed and he's No. 14 in NC on Rivals and No. 15 on 247. Not all 4s or 3s are alike, as this indicates.

Rivals simply doesn't hand out as many 4s as other sites do, but it doesn't diminish its evaluation. There are cases, Tony Grimes as an example, where a player is a 5-star on Rivals but a 4 on 247. Does that diminish 247's evaluation? No, of course, not. Smart analysts can have different takes on players, teams, etc.

We reserched the last three classes since Mack was hired to find out what the numbers are, not to make a point, because we had no clue what we were going to uncover, but to find out what the raw numbers say. Well, we did, and you may be a bit surprised.

https://northcarolina.forums.rivals...s-breakdown-comparing-rivals-247sports.76197/

Where a player falls within an individual state’s rankings is irrelevant when the two services have different opinions of the quality of talent in the state overall.

According to Rivals, there are 9 players from NC in the top 250 in the country. According to 247, there are 16.

247 ranks RaRa at number 245 nationally and according to Rivals, he’s not in the top 250. So, no, Rivals does not rank RaRa higher.

I think it’s entirely reasonable for Rivals to place an emphasis on in-person evaluations, camps, etc. I think it’s equally a reasonable to place more emphasis on film evaluation for this class given the extenuating circumstances.

Where a player falls within an individual state’s rankings is irrelevant when the two services have different opinions of the quality of talent in the state overall.

According to Rivals, there are 9 players from NC in the top 250 in the country. According to 247, there are 16.

247 ranks RaRa at number 245 nationally and according to Rivals, he’s not in the top 250. So, no, Rivals does not rank RaRa higher.

I think it’s entirely reasonable for Rivals to place an emphasis on in-person evaluations, camps, etc. I think it’s equally a reasonable to place more emphasis on film evaluation for this class given the extenuating circumstances.

Rivals ranks him higher compared to the other prospects in the state. If he's 14th in Rivals and 15th in 247, that means 247 thinks there are more players in the state better than him. That's what I'm saying.

As for film evaluation, I wouldn't be surprised if Rivals ends up placing more on it because it has no choice.

Rivals ranks him higher compared to the other prospects in the state. If he's 14th in Rivals and 15th in 247, that means 247 thinks there are more players in the state better than him. That's what I'm saying.

As for film evaluation, I wouldn't be surprised if Rivals ends up placing more on it because it has no choice.

How is that really all that relevant when the teams RaRa will play against while at UNC won’t just have players from NC on their rosters?

A prospect’s absolute rating or relative national ranking is far more instructive than a prospect’s relative ranking within the state, especially when the two services value the talent in the state differently. As an aside, it’s strange that despite most observers considering this current class to be the best the state has ever seen, Rivals has awarded the state fewer 4/5 stars only twice before in the last decade.

This is all a moot point anyway because 247 has RaRa in their Top 250 whereas Rivals does not, ergo Rivals thinks there are more players in the nation better than him.

Reactions: ProfessorOwl
How is that really all that relevant when the teams RaRa will play against while at UNC won’t just have players from NC on their rosters?

A prospect’s absolute rating or relative national ranking is far more instructive than a prospect’s relative ranking within the state, especially when the two services value the talent in the state differently. As an aside, it’s strange that despite most observers considering this current class to be the best the state has ever seen, Rivals has awarded the state fewer 4/5 stars only twice before in the last decade.

This is all a moot point anyway because 247 has RaRa in their Top 250 whereas Rivals does not, ergo Rivals thinks there are more players in the nation better than him.

It's only that my point was about in-state rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT