ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Notes! (7/21) -- Part II

JRowland

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
In the first edition of today's Insider Notes (7/21) we touched on several things. You can read that here for the big picture. There we touched on three misconceptions (1. UNC's not in dire straits at DT, 2. DE is still a position they're targeting and have several key options at, and 3. Expect something like three rather than five linebackers).

Game-changing stuff.

Then we surveyed the lay of the land as it relates to defensive back recruiting. The top targets are Troy Pride, Patrice Rene, Myles Dorn, potentially Craig Watts, James Pierre, Henry Miller and the staff is still open to more names emerging.

Let's move on by addressing the three misconceptions in the first edition of these Insider Notes.

1. UNC's not in dire straits at DT.

Without mentioning anyone's name in particular, I'm hearing there are either two or three players very capable of serving as interior linemen. That does not mean they're three-technique guys, but they'll have the necessary beef to throw their weight around and help bottle things up. The staff is confident of this. There is no consternation about their situation. Christian Colon? Good, solid player. Not a program-changer. Dexter Lawrence is a program-changer and it's a team effort between just about every staff member and Lawrence. Fedora, Chizik, Scott and Warren have unique roles in their pursuit of Lawrence, and I'm hearing he's as receptive as he's ever been.

But Lawrence is far from the only defensive tackle remaining. Kyree Campbell likes UNC and Auburn a lot. Those two seem to be standing out a bit, although that's inconclusive. That's how I've felt and sources agreed as of today. He had a great trip for the Freak Show and should be at a couple of games this fall. One can hope that Auburn's going to be making a ton of noise with several elite defensive linemen, and that could always help UNC's chances. Auburn isn't shy about going the JUCO route and oftentimes those situations materialize later in the process, and it means one less spot for a high schooler once in a while. Just some considerations.

An aside -- UNC was feeling really good about wrapping up Tashawn Manning, who is only a two-star, but Auburn swooped in and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. My sense is that bothered the staff a little more than Colon even though he was out-of-state, because I think they may have liked him better. Never know, sometimes SEC schools (okay, lots of times) they recruit over kids. But if Manning is as good as I've heard some think he is, maybe they won't.

Recent NC State decommit Kobe Smith is a really interesting case for the Heels. I could be wrong but I think he's pretty tight with Tomon Fox and that certainly wouldn't hurt UNC's chances. Charlton Warren has known him for a long time and he's doubling up with Tray Scott, who's making the position coach pitch that the Heels need him as that big, 6-foot-3, 315-pound mammoth three-technique that's both space eater and surprisingly powerful off the ball.

Just an aside -- at Kentucky's recent camp (and Kentucky is probably the biggest competition for Smith; some believe they are the favorite) -- Smith went up against four-star Rivals250 center Drake Jackson, who is as dominant a camp/combine performer as you'll ever find. Last two years, rarely ever lost a rep against four- and five-star guys. Just his kind of setting. From what I've heard Smith may have been the very rare player that got the best of him, at least on one rep, catching him a bit off guard with a flat out nasty bull rush. Smith was "good looking" at that camp and did not win every single rep he took, but those events aren't made for low to the ground nose tackles. He's got strong potential.

Oh, and Smith will be visiting Chapel Hill on Friday. Yep, he'll be camping, so the UNC coaches will have their own evaluation opportunity at the moment. He's a take if he wants UNC. Big loss for State, by the way.

Here's a big name that UNC hasn't been frequently linked to that, more recently, I'm hearing a lot of optimism on -- Ben "Shug" Frazier, a three-star (5.7) defensive tackle from Buford, Ga. He's not the only Buford standout that would have the Heels on his short list, but more on that later -- and yes, unbelievably, this class could ultimately have a much more distinctly Peach State flavor ultimately. Tough to believe, no?

Before we transition to defensive ends, let's talk about Nick Coe, the one guy that's best labeled simply a "DL" rather than a DT or DE. UNC's still in the running but Virginia Tech surged in a big way. Chris Kapilovic has invested a ton of time and energy into this kid and has battled admirably. Owen George, Coe's coach, always emphasizes that UNC's much more than just another offer. I think UNC is probably in second or third at the moment but they absolutely have the opportunity to win him over, either during the season or before Signing Day, regardless of whether he verbally commits somewhere before then. Of course, Coe needs to make sure he's as strong as possible grade-wise or all this talk is moot. I've heard he's improved but we'll see how much. I don't have details on that but I do know UNC wouldn't be wasting their time if he was hopeless on that front.

2. So, about the need at defensive end. Tomon Fox and Nolan DeFranco are already on board but UNC's not done yet. While there may have been an exaggerated problem at defensive tackle in the public's accepted narrative, I don't think any of us have grasped Gene Chizik's sense of urgency or priority when it comes to loading up on fast, athletic defensive ends. While DeFranco has been told he could be a speed or power end, I've got to believe he's the latter. And while Fox plays with plenty of power, pound for pound, he's a speed guy.

Derriyon Shaw, formerly of Georgia and now in Nevada, actually visited UNC this summer. This per a source recently. He also unofficially visited Arizona State recently. The Sun Devils are tough competition on the trail these days under Todd Graham and they have his attention for sure. Boise State's going to get an official and so will UNC. At the very worst UNC is top three here. Hearing this kid's between 6'3 and 6'4 and 225, but not a hybrid in the staff's mind. They like his quickness with his hand in the dirt.

Andrew Fitzgerald is outside UNC's normal recruiting footprint -- he's from Texas -- but he's got a connection that's made him worth the staff's time. When Charlton Warren was coaching at Air Force, Fitzgerald's brother came through the program and was a cadet for the duration of his student-athlete experience. He's a quiet kid that doesn't really look forward to media attention, but he's not alone so that's his prerogative -- just tough to read. Not sure how high he is on the board but I do know that UNC likes him a lot.

File Caleb Tillman under whatever category you put Coe in, come to think of it. The 6'3, 252-pound end from Alabama will visit UNC next week and there is some real hope that the Heels may be able to flip him. He's a power end or ultimately a guy that can play inside or out and the staff definitely likes him. He'd be a take and they'd welcome the opportunity --which is a very real possibility -- to flip a player committed to Mississippi State, a pretty hot program. Those close to UNC and those close to Tillman know the Tar Heels are the Bulldogs' stiffest competition. Can't say he's 'planning' to flip but I also think it's in the back of of his mind.

Zack Gilbert is hearing a lot of talk from UNC about lining him up at different positions but he's primarily a front four guy that's athletic enough to cause some problems. His final five are Pitt, Virginia Tech, Duke and West Virginia. His extensive family ties to Pitt are well-documented and Pat Narduzzi has helped their cause. With Mark Gilbert now at Duke, they're about family, too. With UNC, Virginia Tech and WVU it's more about his loyalty to those coaching staffs. Not making a prediction but while I think the Heels are in the mix I can't say they're a decided favorite.

One of the big, persistent story lines just beneath the surface in this class has been whether UNC or anyone else can flip defensive end Josh Brown from Florida State. The Mallard Creek defensive end is listening to all comers and he's been open about being open-minded. Brown has been to UNC recently and by all accounts, including some that are well-placed and really know what's going on, he's got a great rapport with the coaches and feels comfortable in his own skin when he's around the down-home guys on Larry Fedora's staff. He's more Tomon Fox than Caleb Tillman, but there's room for two when you're talking about guys that have that kind of talent.

UNC has stayed in consistent contact with Bryce Morais, a BC commitment, and the three-star Georgian has visited Chapel Hill and does like it. But he's still with BC and will visit Chestnut Hill soon. They'll work hard to reaffirm his commitment there, but UNC, Tennessee and others won't back off easily. Another good option.

This is my opinion based on insider info, but I'm getting the impression the board at DT/DE can be roughly summarized as:

DT -- Best case scenario, two of three. If just one, cast the net again in a different pool.
1. Dexter Lawrence (take)
2. Ben Frazier (take)
3. Kobe Smith (take)

DL (could be DT) -- Will take if they can
1. Nick Coe (take - grades?)

DE -- At least 1 more
1. Josh Brown (take)
2. Caleb Tillman (take)
3. Shaw/Fitzgerald/Gilbert/Morais

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT