ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Article on Isaac Traudt

Whitmore is a game changing talent. Outside shot needs work but from Mid-range in, he will be a beast! I like him more than Nichel because he just exudes winning and is a true alpha dog who will take charge the moment he steps on campus! Nichel would be a huge get too and I would not be disappointed to get him either! I just think the intangible leadership every team that cuts down the nets has seems to be part of Whitmore's makeup!

Do you think Nickel heats up for us if Whitmore goes somewhere else?

Or would we turn to the portal, or maybe some new HS offer?
Nichel could but I suspect he has moved on more than we could make up so at this point it suspect it is either Whitmore or done with the 22 class and access things after the season is played. Don't forget, both Whitmore and Nichel are more wants than needs, we have Leaky/Puff/McKoy all eligible after this coming season (ALL 3 are starter level).

Don't forget, both Whitmore and Nichel are more wants than needs, we have Leaky/Puff/McKoy all eligible after this coming season (ALL 3 are starter level).
Unfortunately, a lot of people here don't think Leaky is starter level (I disagree, but it's close unless he shoots better), while neither Puff nor Justin have proved themselves.

So, while you may be right that they are all starter level, it's also possible that none or only 1 is actually good enough to start on a good-quality UNC team.

Everybody expects big strides from our freshmen, but that probably doesn't apply to Puff because of injury.

I'm glad we have Justin, but he never earned a starter spot at UVa Would he have left if he thought he would start this year (with Hauser and Murphy out of the way)? Maybe he just wanted to be here. Who knows? In any case, I think when Hubert recruited him, he saw him more as a 4/3 than a 3. But then we landed Garcia, so that may have changed.

We'll find out fairly soon.

Why?? Was not expected to commit to Heels...🏀
img24763719.jpg

Unfortunately, a lot of people here don't think Leaky is starter level (I disagree, but it's close unless he shoots better), while neither Puff nor Justin have proved themselves.

So, while you may be right that they are all starter level, it's also possible that none or only 1 is actually good enough to start on a good-quality UNC team.

Everybody expects big strides from our freshmen, but that probably doesn't apply to Puff because of injury.

I'm glad we have Justin, but he never earned a starter spot at UVa Would he have left if he thought he would start this year (with Hauser and Murphy out of the way)? Maybe he just wanted to be here. Who knows? In any case, I think when Hubert recruited him, he saw him more as a 4/3 than a 3. But then we landed Garcia, so that may have changed.

We'll find out fairly soon.
When I said "starter level" I was speaking more globally than I was UNC specific, very few teams have the quality (even if not yet proven) at the position that we have. And the fact that neither Puff or McKoy have yet proven their ability within our scheme to produce forces us to consider Leaky as a potential starter for us. I have been especially hard on what I have seen from Leaky and I do believe Puff and McKoy may out pace him or we go to a small option with more fire power outside BUT until either happens Leaky is the starter.

On McKoy, all I have heard is there was a strong possibility that McKoy was going to be UVa's starting 4 this season had he stayed, at least at the time he made his decision. McKoy wanted to be at UNC, closer to home and the team he grew up dreaming to play for. I agree, Hubert, when he made the decision to bring McKoy in was looking to shore up our front court, at that point in time all we had was Bacot and that was not even 100% certain (because Bacot was testing the NBA water). But Manek came in, Bacot came back, and Garcia came in so all the sudden McKoy has to be seen as more of a 4/3 than strictly 4 ( I kinda see him more as a small forward throw back than a 4 but that is just my opinion so far and that can change). Don't forget, Styles will also factor in some where between the 3 and 4 and get PT. However, when you look at McKoy you have a guy of similar height and length as Brooks was yet IMO more athletic and a better shooting threat, reason I see McKoy as a bit of a throw back small forward, like a Matt Doherty type, as opposed to todays more guard orientated wings.

I suspect our wing position, Leaky will continue to start but his PT will be adjusted based on his and others production as well as how a particular game's situation occurs, maybe we need to shut down a hot shooter so we have Leaky drape over him. I didn't love the way we used Leaky last season but when you have an already clogged lane with your 4 and 5 staying so close to the basket dropping Leaky in the lane just clogs it more but I did not like watching Leaky step outside where defenders knew he was not such a scoring threat that they didn't have to stay close on him, allowed them to double off of him or get rebound block outs when he missed. But now with stretch 4s rather than 5s playing the 4, there is more room for Leaky. Bacot will be looking to step more in to the mid range or high low and rotate down so Leaky has more room now to drop down and post up a smaller defender.

One other point concerning how clogged our lane was last season, most of the problem was lack of experience in our front court and frankly, less than stellar leadership from our starting most experienced front court guy. Roy did not teach to have his 4 and 5 camp out deep in the lane and yet that is what happened far to often. Shot selection from our guards was another real problem (again, inexperience freshmen) so our bigs felt they had to get and stay in offensive rebounding position.

Last edited:
I wish him luck in his career, but since he isn't coming to the Heels I don't really care where he goes. We have the horses to check him if he is in the ACC!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Nickel gives me a Taylor King vibe. Maybe just because they’re both 6’8” white guys who were prolific shooters in high school. But regardless, it doesn’t make me want him a whole lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT