ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bilas remembering Bob Knight

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
And his best paragraph for me is one that brings up Jordan: "In 1984, after coaching Michael Jordan on the gold-medal-winning U.S. Olympic team, Portland general manager Stu Inman called Knight for advice on the upcoming NBA draft. Knight counseled Inman to take Jordan, calling Jordan the best basketball player he had ever seen. Inman told Knight the Blazers already had Clyde Drexler and needed a center. Knight responded, "Then play Jordan at center."

Ignoring pointed Knight advice could ruin a program/franchise.

I don't expect this to be a popular opinion, many and maybe most hated Bobby Knight during his life, I did not. He was a flawed man, yes he was, that makes him different from the rest of us how? I am for sure flawed, have yet to meet anyone that wasn't. As a basketball coach I respected Bobby Knight. He was hard nosed, that isn't popular now days, we are way to concerned about not hurting anyone's feelings. Coaches in my day, which was more attuned to the Bobby Knight style, didn't care about your feelings, they cared about building you in to the best player you could be that deserved to fit in to his team.

Dean Smith respected Bobby as great coach, greatness recognizes greatness, considered Bobby and Big John as 2 of his closest friends that did not have UNC connection, that alone is good enough for me. With that said, in the passing of Bobby Knight the basketball world lost a legendary coach and the sport is greater by his having been a part of it, RIP Bobby Knight!

From my limited personal experiences with him, and knowing people who had more regular interactions with him, I personally have very little positive feelings toward him as a man and how he carried himself. Nobody is 100% good or bad though. He had others that swore by him, and cared for him deeply on and off the court.

Absolutely a GREAT coach, no doubt. I do hope he found some peace during his time here and am saddened for his family and friends.

I don't expect this to be a popular opinion, many and maybe most hated Bobby Knight during his life, I did not. He was a flawed man, yes he was, that makes him different from the rest of us how? I am for sure flawed, have yet to meet anyone that wasn't. As a basketball coach I respected Bobby Knight. He was hard nosed, that isn't popular now days, we are way to concerned about not hurting anyone's feelings. Coaches in my day, which was more attuned to the Bobby Knight style, didn't care about your feelings, they cared about building you in to the best player you could be that deserved to fit in to his team.

Dean Smith respected Bobby as great coach, greatness recognizes greatness, considered Bobby and Big John as 2 of his closest friends that did not have UNC connection, that alone is good enough for me. With that said, in the passing of Bobby Knight the basketball world lost a legendary coach and the sport is greater by his having been a part of it, RIP Bobby Knight!
You're right about the mutual respect --- in many ways, Dean was Bobby's "good" alter-ego --- sorta like the proverbial angel who sat on his right shoulder. Unfortunately, the "bad" devil on the other shoulder (who likely bears a stricking resemblence to the Rat) tended to win his internal arguments.

On the good end, I'll always respect Bobby --- as I'm sure Dean did --- for running a clean program. Some of the other stuff, however, was just hard to reconcile.

Look, no doubt Bobby was a helluva basketball coach (and could also be funny and engaging), but one who too often defaulted to flaming jackassery... and mostly for no good reason.

Look, no doubt Bobby was a helluva basketball coach (and could also be funny and engaging), but one who too often defaulted to flaming jackassery... and mostly for no good reason.

The jackassery is what has been highlighted as he has been excoriated by the national media since his passing. I appreciate that my university has been represented by Dean, Gut, Matt, Roy, and Hubert. 👍🏾⛹🏾‍♂️

Reactions: gary-7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT