ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson Boaz as QB

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
An article worth reading

Boaz, a 6-8 240 pounder whose commitment UNC took as an athlete who could play TE or maybe DE or LB, feels he is a college QB talent. And when he is finally playing QB full time, no sharing, he is putting up amazing numbers. But that does not necessarily mean he could be a QB for a 1AA team, much less UNC.

But this is in the article:
"His desire to play quarterback hasn’t fallen on deaf ears, either. Those conversations took place when North Carolina’s Jace Ruder, the backup quarterback to true freshman Sam Howell, suffered a leg injury in the first half of the Tar Heels’ 34-31 loss to Appalachian State on Sept. 21. Boaz said he spoke with Brown, along with Lonnie Galloway, the team’s wide receivers coach, and Tim Brewster, the assistant head coach in charge of tight ends, about his chances as a quarterback.

“They told me that if I was on campus right now, I’d be the second-team quarterback,” Boaz said. “But, with that being said, ‘Also when you get down here, we’re going to reassess everything and put you where you need to go to help the team the best.’”

Unless Boaz has misunderstood the coaches, they think he is definitely better now than the 2 walk on QBs we have. That is something, but perhaps not a whole lot if Ruder comes back next year and Criswell does sign.

Perhaps in an Air Raid, a 6-8 QB can be very handy. He can see over virtually every defender he will face. And Boaz does have patience - he may be happy to wait and work for 3 or 4 years just to get to be 2nd team QB. And in an era of QB transfers going wild, it can be very helpful to UNC to have such a player on the roster.

Reactions: Archer2
I have thought that this young man might actually develop into a D1 QB. Only time will tell. But those numbers, good golly. If he continues to post those kind of stats, who knows?

Last edited:
The thought of a 6-8 TE excites me. A TE that tall can be a total beast to cover. But a 6-8 QB with a real arm also can cause major havoc for DCs.

We now have extended a Preferred Walk On to Boaz's top WR target, Landon Stevens. That tells me that the staff has looked very closely at Boaz as a passer. And the staff may want his favorite receiver hoping they can keep up the magic in Chapel Hill.

Reactions: Archer2
On another note, Phil Longo & Dre bly were on the Myers Park sidelines last night, sounds like they're still trying to recruit Drake Maye

Boaz could take snaps with the first team at tight end while still getting some reps as a backup QB in case something happens to Howell.

I think Mack will be looking for the next Vince Young level talent that he could bring to Chapel Hill. I think his ambition is to take us to the playoffs, and it takes an elite level QB to do that. Maybe Howell can be that guy, or maybe it will be the guy who comes after him.

Let’s not forget this kid can run pretty good as well if we are looking at him as a TE or DE...Kid is a Football player and we need those....

Let’s not forget this kid can run pretty good as well if we are looking at him as a TE or DE...Kid is a Football player and we need those....
He is a football player. His versatility and the possibility that he may play QB, is very intriguing. I just hope that we don't lose him to another school that recruits him solely as a QB. He may well wind up being a 4* if he continues to put up the kind of numbers he's currently putting up.The better the numbers he amasses as a QB, the more attention he will receive as a QB recruit, and the more inclined he may be to accept one of these offers.

I certainly hope not, because he's going to be a very good college football player, whether it be at QB, TE, or some other position.

We noted on premium a couple of months ago he will be looked at as a QB first. Hop on over there, it's worth it. :)

Reactions: TarHeelMark
On another note, Phil Longo & Dre bly were on the Myers Park sidelines last night, sounds like they're still trying to recruit Drake Maye
Drake Maye said publicly right before committing to Bama that he wanted to play on a team that could win a National Championship. With what we've seen this UNC team do, and with the commits we have and the number of top recruits in the class of 2021 who have us high on their lists, I'd say that anyone who signs with UNC starting with the class of 2019 (this team's freshmen) has a shot to play for a National Champ.

Reactions: shun1
Boaz could take snaps with the first team at tight end while still getting some reps as a backup QB in case something happens to Howell.

I think Mack will be looking for the next Vince Young level talent that he could bring to Chapel Hill. I think his ambition is to take us to the playoffs, and it takes an elite level QB to do that. Maybe Howell can be that guy, or maybe it will be the guy who comes after him.

Howell as a true freshman is the 2nd best QB in the ACC. He is elite. Give him a fully healthy OL with one more Heck on it (meaning, a guy who is ready to make an NFL roster) and a couple more stars on D, and Howell can QB a team into the playoffs.

We will return most of our starters on defense and almost all on offense. UVA loses several starters on both sides of the ball. We should be favored to win the Coastal, especially if we win 4or 5 out of the next 6 RS games.

My guess is a final tally of 9-4.

Reactions: shun1
Boaz had his sixth straight game with at least 250 yards. Last night, he was 11-16 for 265 yards and 3 TD's. This kid can play.

11 completions for 265 yards... lol I miss high school football

Well he may be the one who doesn’t sign if he gets an offer to play qb somewhere. Stock seems to be on the rise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT